Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Cancer Scare

Been a long time since I blogged. I miss all my blogging friends!

I had a really rough week. About 2 months ago I felt a breast lump. I decided to wait through one menstrual cycle to see if it went away with my period. It didn't. So I made a doctor appt. That was about 2 weeks ago. The doctor felt the lump which led to an ultrasound appt. Those results led to a mammogram. All of which had concerning results. This was last Thurs. I was told I needed to have a biopsy right away at the nearby hospital. On the way out they handed be a breast cancer survival booklet. OMG! During the biopsy they took 6 tissue samples from my left breast. The surgeon nicked an artery during the surgery so it took them over 2 hours to control the bleeding. The bleeding eventually stopped but left a 3 inch by 2.5 inch hemotoma. (by the way I have small breasts) On the way out they handed me a pink bear with ribbons all over it. OMG! That was Monday. I went back to the hospital on Tues to have the hemotoma drained. They were able to get it down to about a 1 inch size.

Yesterday I got the results. Not Cancer! Woohoo! But the biopsy does show abnormal precancerous cells. Huh? What? Radiologist recommends surgery and radiation. Referral to an oncologist and breast surgeon has been made. Needs to be done after 4 to 6 weeks so the hemotoma has a chance to go away.

So I guess I'm super ecstatic b/c it's not cancer... But also trying to wrap my mind around needing breast surgery and radiation. Also trying not to Google and make assumptions based on limited info. I tend to do that. Hoping I can get into the oncologist before the 4-6 weeks I need to wait so we can go over my results and make a plan.

From what I gather. They didn't like the looks of the lump. They also didn't like all the calcification's they saw around the lump (red flag for cancer), I also have abnormal "precancerous" cells from the tissue samples they took (not good), I also have breast cancer in my family so that increases my risk a lot. My Dad's Mother died very young of breast cancer. My Aunt has also had breast cancer. So based on all that they think they should do a lumpectomy and follow up w/ radiation. Of course that is the recommendation from the radiologist and the oncologist may say something very different.

So that's been my week.

On another note since I'm actually on here writing a post. My twins are awesome. I love this age so much. They will be 3 years old in 2 months. They are talking non-stop and say the funniest things. Both are doing really well. We started potty training about a month ago and both are doing awesome. They are pretty much fully potty trained. It was an interesting experience. Potty training two at the same time is a little crazy.

They are really into trains and cars and love to paint and color. They ask me every morning to draw them a picture and I usually do. They make requests for a train or cookie monster or a lion, etc. (75% of the time they want me to draw a train) And then I try to draw it for them. Both like to have their toenails painted every week. So they always have painted nails and yes they are boys. We usually do blue or green nails but this week they wanted purple so they got purple :) Their favorite show is Dora the Explorer. They love Dora even more than Diego.

I am starting a preschool co-op w/ 3 other families in early Sept. We'll be rotating who teaches and who assists. So I'll teach one week a month, assist one week a month and have 2 weeks off =) The location will always be at the teachers home and we'll be doing this on Tues/Thurs from 9 to noon. I'm excited. I think it'll be great and a lot of fun.

Other than that I'll also be super busy w/ a cooking co-op, book-club, Bunco and also being a co-president for a local Multiples Club. We are also officially looking to buy a "new" home. I'm super excited. We've been renting since we moved here over 2 years ago and I am ready to buy and a truly make a place our home. We're in a good position since we aren't trapped by a lease and don't need to sell a home. So we can take our time and wait until we find the perfect house for our family.


Nail polish for everyone :)


Trip to Gilroy Gardens


Andrew and Matthew


Yosemite National Park


Finger Painting


Pool Time

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8/05/2010 11:51 AM, Blogger Kir said...

OMG, I had NO IDEA...oh wow..Faith!!!
I am so glad you are ok, and for now we'll go with that...that you are JUST FINE.
I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, it had to be so scary.

I know that the boys are doing well, I love seeing their pictures and updates on FB...they are truly adorable. :)

take care of yourself and KNOW I am here for you if youn need me.
xoxoxo

 
At 8/05/2010 12:02 PM, Blogger edie & ella said...

OMG ... they are gigantic!!! Like grown up little boys ....so sweet. Love all the pics ....

And OMG about the cancer scare. What an ordeal and how scary that must be. I definately think you are doing the right thing by waiting to speak to an oncologist about your options. In my experience some doctors try to give information on treatments that they have no knowledge of. The oncologist will be your best source ...... please do keep us posted though.

 
At 8/06/2010 4:22 AM, Blogger Bea said...

The nail polish is hilarious.

But on the other hand... holy wow, have you been through the mill. It sounds like your doctors are being very thorough, and that the bad stuff might be already behind you. Fingers crossed for good news at your next appointment.

Bea

 
At 8/06/2010 10:49 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Really sorry to hear about the cancer scare. Wishing you a speedy and problem free recovery.

Great to hear an update from you though!

 
At 8/12/2010 6:43 AM, Blogger cat said...

Great to hear from you again - I thought you have disappeared forever. Sorry that it has to be under these circumstances.

Now, at least you get to treat it preventive and I hear the success rate is phenomenal.

Gosh, aren't our boys just getting so big.

 
At 8/27/2010 3:28 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

Hope that you are doing o.k.!

 
At 9/03/2010 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that experience sounds treacherous. I will continue to pray for you and your family that all is OK.

Your boys are pure sweetness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller