Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Our Babies Have Arrived!

On Thursday Sept 27th I was sent to the hospital after Dr. H found my cervix to be 6cm dilated. I was 35 weeks and 6 days pregnant. The plan was to have a spinal and C-Section. I was given the spinal and it didn't take so they had to give me general anesthesia. This was a little disappointing since J couldn't be in the room and obviously I was completely put under which was scary.

Andrew Patrick arrived at 2:58pm and was 5 pounds 15 oz and 19 inches long

Matthew Alan came one minute later at 2:59pm and he was 5 pounds 1 oz and 19 inches.

Andrew was taken immediately to the ICU special nursery. Matthew was allowed to stay with me for an hour or so before they wanted to watch him a little closer too so he also ended up going to the ICU special nursery. I was in recovery for about 6 hours. I lost a lot of blood and they were concerned. They pushed hard on my stomach every 15 minutes the entire time I was in recovery to see how much blood I was losing. That wasn't fun. Eventually I was put on medication to help stop the bleeding. I couldn't stop shaking and I was upset that I couldn't be with my boys. I knew I'd have to wait a whole day to see Andrew for the first time b/c you have to be able to get into a wheel chair to go into the ICU nursery and that wouldn't be for at least a day.

Finally the next day I made the nurses get me into a wheel chair so I could go see my babies. It was so hard to see Andrew b/c he had so many tubes, an IV, oxygen etc. hooked up to him. His arm looked like it was in a cast since they had collapsed so many veins trying to hook up the IV. After the first few days they finally had to use the veins in his head. Matthew wasn't hooked up to nearly as much and I was told he'd be released to my bedside later that day. So even though Matthew was almost a pound lighter he was doing much better. Basically Andrew was dealing w/ wet and premature lungs and he wasn't able to regulate his body temperature.

I was so thrilled when I got Matthew! I think he looks a lot like me where as Andrew looks more like J. They are both so beautiful! Matthew has been so easy to care for. He rarely cries and took to the breast very easily! He immediately knew how to latch on. If I wasn't able to breast feed he'd also take formula or breast milk by bottle with no problem. I wanted to start nursing right away so I started nursing and pumping milk on the day after I gave birth. The only difficulty was trying to keep a premature baby awake long enough to feed them. After just a few minutes Matthew would be dead asleep so I'd have to try all sorts of things to try to keep him awake.

I spent 4 nights in the hospital and during that time I cared for Matthew in my room. I would visit Andrew and I tried to recover from the surgery. I can honestly say that I felt pretty good on the 2nd and 3rd day. I was getting up and walking around. The only pain was getting up and down on the bed. I had a lot of swelling and still do. I had nausea and found that it was difficult to eat much. And the worst complaint I had during this time was the itching... My whole body and face itched like crazy. I was told it was a side effect of having a spinal and general anesthesia.

So I had them on Thursday and was released w/ Matthew on Monday afternoon. We've been driving to the hospital every day to visit Andrew. I'm pumping breast milk and taking as much as I can for him to eat. It's been exhausting b/c I'm feeding Matthew on demand at the breast and pumping on an every 3 hour schedule for Andrew. But- I'm thrilled that I'm able to produce so much milk already and not supplementing much at all. J will maybe supplement one bottle of formula at night so I can try to get a block of sleep that is more than just two hours.

Today when we saw Andrew they said he may come home soon- tomorrow is even a possibility. He was taken out of the incubator and is in an actual open air crib. He had his IV and oxygen removed. He's no longer on Antibiotics and he looks great. I'm really praying that he continues to do well so that he can be home where he belongs. It's hard to drive an hour each way to the hospital. We take Matthew with us and it's very tiring. My Mom is here for the week and that has helped a lot. She doing all of the cooking and cleaning so that we can just focus on the babies.

So that's all I can think of right now. I hope I came across making sense. I'm seriously sleep deprived and lucky to remember my name :-)

Here are a few pictures!


Matthew one day old!



Matthew is two days old and released from the ICU special care nursery!



Daddy w/ Matthew!



Andrew is two days old and in the ICU special care nursery.



Andrew is one week old and doing much better!



Mommy and Andrew...He should be coming home any day!!! We can't wait!

Labels:

41 Comments:

At 10/04/2007 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Congratulations. What a journey you've had. You look wonderful for having recently given birth. Best wishes to you, your husband, and new additions.

 
At 10/04/2007 10:09 PM, Blogger soralis said...

They are adorable! Hope Andrew comes home very soon.

 
At 10/04/2007 10:11 PM, Blogger Bea said...

A pretty frightening story, but what a happy ending!

Bea

 
At 10/04/2007 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats your boys are so beautiful!!! Meg

 
At 10/05/2007 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are so beautiful, congratulations! I am sorry to read that the delivery and regocery got so scary. I wish you all happy and easy things ahead!

 
At 10/05/2007 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Enjoy this wonderful time.
Carla

 
At 10/05/2007 6:26 AM, Blogger Caba said...

Faith, I'm so glad they are here and healthy and everyone is doing well. I know it was a long road for you, but well worth it in the end, right? Enjoy your babies, and I hope Andrew comes home to join you all soon!

 
At 10/05/2007 6:46 AM, Blogger Gemini Girl said...

OMG! Congrats! I was wondering if you had them already. I am gla dthe boys are doing fine. The names are great. They are beautiful. I am glad all of you are happy and healthy!

 
At 10/05/2007 6:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

congrats on the birth of your boys. They are so handsome! Glad you all will be home soon.

 
At 10/05/2007 6:53 AM, Blogger singletracey said...

Oh Faith!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you!! The boys are just beautiful and I will send prayers for Andrew to be home soon!

 
At 10/05/2007 6:54 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations!! They are beautiful! I hope Andrew comes home soon! My boys were in the nicu for a month and that was soo hard! Also, congratulations on a job well done to you! You really did your best to give your boys the most time in utero as possible!

 
At 10/05/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger A.M.S. said...

Congratulations! I hope Andrew is able to come home soon.

 
At 10/05/2007 7:57 AM, Blogger twirl said...

congratulations on your boys! I hope Andrew gets to come home with you really soon =)

 
At 10/05/2007 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your two BEAUTIFUL boys!!! My girls were in the NICU for 2 weeks and it was such a stressful time. I'm thinking about you guys and hope that Andrew is home with his mommy, daddy and brother soon.

-Leighann

 
At 10/05/2007 9:13 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations. They are both so handsome. Love the pics with the eyes open!

My singleton daughter was a 36 week premie and I was in similar situations with her being in the NICU for 7 days.

BTW, little assvice, but keep an eye out for thrush with breastfeeding since they are coming off of antibiotics. It's very common for babies to develop thrush and pass it to you (it's a yeast infection that gets in your milk ducts and in their mouth and intestinal system) when they were on antibiotics after birth. We fought it off successfully and I was able to breastfeed for seven months, but fighting it off was a b(itch.

Congratulations!

 
At 10/05/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Congratulations! Your boys are absolutely beautiful! I mean they are very handsome. Soon you will all be together at home and soon you will finally be able to start a life without constant healthcare intervention! That is such a good feeling. Any word on their kidneys? Anyway, I am so happy for you guys and your family!

 
At 10/05/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Kir said...

FAITH, your boys are beautiful, I hope Andrew comes home soon. Thank you for sharing those pics with us. Your sons are simply perfect.

 
At 10/05/2007 10:34 AM, Blogger hadjare said...

Your boys are absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations. :)

 
At 10/05/2007 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what beautiful babies! i've been following your story since your ivf, and it's wonderful to see how things turned out.

 
At 10/05/2007 12:44 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

congratulations - I'm so happy for you! I'm sorry that they were/are in the ICU though! They are such cuties!

 
At 10/05/2007 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huge congrats, Faith. They are beautiful. I hope Andrew will be home soon.

 
At 10/05/2007 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Faith!!! Andrew and Matthew are two very lucky boys to have you and J. I'm glad to hear that things are on the up and up and that you are recovering well now.

I wish you all of the best and am so happy that we have shared this special journey together!!! Your support has been great.

(Our boys just arrived on Monday.)

 
At 10/05/2007 6:59 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Your babies are precious!! I pray Andrew gets to come home soon! I have been following your blog for a while now and I am so excited that you had a happy ending after everything you have been through.

 
At 10/06/2007 5:48 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boys!

 
At 10/06/2007 5:50 PM, Blogger Eva said...

Congratulations! They are so beautiful and I hope you are all home together soon.

 
At 10/08/2007 12:31 AM, Blogger Tam said...

Absolutely beautiful. I hope that both babies come home soon and everything is just perfect.

Well done!

 
At 10/08/2007 2:18 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Congratulations! They're both absolutely beautiful. I'm sorry that the birth was more difficult than expected, but it looks like the end product was well worth all of the difficulties of the last nine months. I hope that Andrew is home very soon.

 
At 10/08/2007 11:07 AM, Blogger DMB (andbabybmakesthree.wordpress.com) said...

CONGRATS!!! So happy for you and your new family! :) Thank you for sharing your story.

D

 
At 10/08/2007 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Faith! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations...it was worth every needle, every heartbreak, and every bit of pain or sickness you had in this pregnancy I'm sure! Yay! The boys are here!

 
At 10/08/2007 5:37 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Congratulations, Faith! The birth story sounds like it was a little scary and stressful, but I'm glad to hear Andrew may be coming home soon.

 
At 10/09/2007 7:12 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Congratulations!!! It is so crazy, everything you went through, but I have a feeling that as soon as you saw those precious little faces there was nothing but joy in your heart! They are beautiful and I am so happy for you guys and your new family. And they were great weights!!! You did an excellent job :)

 
At 10/09/2007 11:01 AM, Blogger AshPash said...

They are such beatiful boys! Many congratulations!

 
At 10/09/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Motel Manager said...

I'm glad to hear your update and that things are going well after the initial hiccups. You guys all look fantastic!! Congrats!

 
At 10/10/2007 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Faith/KAC!!!!
Your friends at A.I.Pg were asking about you, so I directed folks here to see the good news...

Yellowgirl

 
At 10/10/2007 1:22 PM, Blogger Brandy said...

Congratulations!

 
At 10/10/2007 6:07 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Oh! They are just beautiful. I am so happy for you - through all the tough times you have kept going, and kept hoping. And now the both of you have your boys. I couldn't think of a better Mom. Blessings and good things to you and your family.

 
At 10/11/2007 8:11 AM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Happy two weeks! I hope everyone is doing well. Things are still VERY busy I'm sure. Congrats again!

 
At 10/15/2007 6:19 PM, Blogger x said...

They are gorgeous! I hope that everybody is at home, healthy and happy. What a dream come true.

 
At 10/15/2007 7:41 PM, Blogger x said...

They are so beautiful. I hope that you are all home, healthy and happy.

 
At 10/19/2007 11:00 AM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

Wonderful, they are beautiful! congratualtions to you and I'm so glad both boys will be with you shortly.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family.

 
At 10/25/2007 6:58 AM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Congratulations to Mommy and Daddy on four weeks! I am sure they have be difficult and wonderful all at the same time. I hope everyone is doing well and that you are getting at least some sleep! Congratulations again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller