CRAP!!!!
My fetal fibronectin test (FFN test) came back positive today. I'm really upset and scared. I wasn't even supposed to have this test today. The nurse screwed up and Dr. H went ahead and did it since I was undressed and prepped. My test that was done 2 weeks ago was negative and I was told that the combination of that result w/ my long cervix made me an unlikely candidate for preterm labor.
I don't have any signs of preterm labor. No cramping or contractions...sometimes a tightening of my uterus so I'm not sure if that means anything. But- while googling "fetal fibronectin test", I read that you shouldn't have sex for 24 hours before one of these tests. NO one in my doctors office has mentioned that and of course I didn't know I'd be having this test done today. So- J and I were very friendly last night at 10pm or so...less than 12 hours before the test was done. Could this cause a false positive??? I pray it is.
Either way Dr. H wants me back to start steroid shots tomorrow. I guess I'll have two days of these. What can I expect from this? I'll also be having something called wet mounts done...not sure on this one. I think it checks for an infection of some sort. I am now on official bedrest until I have the fetal fibronectin test redone next Monday.
I'm trying to calm down for the babies sakes. It's just way too early for these babies to arrive. I'm not sure about what my risks are or if it's more than likely a false positive... I'm tired of feeling so worried all of the time... first the fluid in the kidneys and now this.
My gut tells me they're okay but what if it's not....
Labels: 2nd Trimester



14 Comments:
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I have had that test done and my doctor said that if its negative its definitly negative but if it is positive it has a high chance of being a false positive. There are serveral other indicators that have to be there. Try to stay positive. I think this will resolve its self out. Also sex can give you the false positive. As well as artificial lubrication.
Ashley
You're in my thoughts. Hoping all will be well. I'm sure it will be. Get lots of rest. (((Hugs)))
I have to second what anonymous wrote. I had 3 or 4 FFN's and EVERY time, my OB said that if they were negative, it was 99.9% sure that I wouldn't go into labor for 2 more weeks but if it was positive, it wasn't really saying anything except that it could happen...there was no percentage or anything. I have a feeling that your "friendliness" the night before might have had something to do with it :)
The steroid shots (if they are the same I had in the hospital, which I assume they are) are pretty much identical to the intramuscular PIO shots with IVF. The substance that goes in is a little gelatanous (I think I spelled that right) so they push it in kind of slow but, trust me, if we can get through all those shots to get pregnant, this is a piece of cake and it is SO worth it, just to be on the safe side. Also, the shot they gave me is one that makes your heart race for a bit. It definitely did that for me but I was also extremely nervous as they were prepping me for an emergency c-section at the same time they were giving me the shot!!
I hope that this is all just a false alarm but at least they are monitoring you so you guys can all stay as safe as possible.
All the best!!
Hopefully your gut is right. It's incredible how often the gut is, actually. Good luck!
Bea
I have no idea what that test is or what it means, other than what you just explained. But I do understand your anxious heat. I hope you are able to stay calm. One's gut feeling is usually correct!
The worrying will never end- especially bec we are if's. There are ALOT of false positives with twins... try not to worry unless you have a solid reason to worry. Go with your gut.
You have been tagged!
if it makes you feel ANY better, I had a negative ffn 24 hours before delivering my twins due to ruptured membranes... That is DEFINETLY something the test SHOULD have picked up on... But that's just my opinion :)
And good for you for still having 'relations' at this point in your pregnancy! You go girl!
It sounds like it could very well be a false positive - did you talk to Dr. H about your "friendliness" the night before? I wonder if they can re-do the test?
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best.
Oh man, I am so sorry! How incredibly stressful Faith.
While I hope it was a false positive, it also pisses me off! The anxiety that comes with any kind of a false positive is just horrible.
I'm thinking of you and hoping the shots aren't too bad and that it really is a false alarm.
Hang in there :-)
I would imagine sex would skew the results. I know that there should be a vaginal exam or ultrasound. Crossing my fingers for you and the babies.
I had one FFN come back negative and then another come back positive. That was at 29 weeks or so and I ended up delivering at 35 with twins. I was told exactly what others have said about the positives - it really doesn't give them much as much as a negative would. I had the steroid shots too and they sting, but not anything I wasn't used to after going through IVF.
I was definitely scared too and my cervix was really thinned out by this point. I hope it is a false positive for you and you have many more weeks left in your pregnancy. I'll be thinking of you!
Oh honey, how scary! It could very well be a false positive. I don't know entirely how the test works but I know they are measuring proteins and well, there are other "substances" that are made of proteins as well. Even if it is positive it isn't for sure that you would have preterm labor. The steroids shots do hurt going in because they are so damn thick but they are good for the boys. Hang in there! You guys will be in my prayers.
thinking of you....hoping that the next test is negative. Get lots of rest and stay calm for you and the boys.
*hug*
Post a Comment
<< Home