Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

28 weeks 4 days ...flunking out

Kidney stone took eight very long days to pass. The pain finally stopped on Saturday night and hasn't returned so I'm hoping that means it has indeed passed and I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. For the most part I continue to have daily non stress tests and monitoring at the hospital. I flunk pretty much each and every one and therefore have to come back the next day. This week the NST(s) have had poorer results that ever. Both babies have variable decelerations in the heart rates which could be totally fine (most likely) or indicate something more serious. As long as the dips are irregular and don't last more than a few seconds than they'll just keep an eye on them. If they start lasting longer or become even more frequent than I'll be admitted to the hospital. I'm also having more and more contractions. I had eight contractions in an hour on Monday. I came really close to be admitted that day b/c of it. They pumped me full of fluids via IV and that seemed to help. I'm on medication every 4 hours to relax my uterus. What's really frustrating is that I can't tell when I'm having a contraction. The nurse will ask me what I'm feeling and I won't be feeling anything even though I'm having a contraction and then at other times I feel major tightening in my uterus and it doesn't even register on the machine. I also have constant "uterine irritability". I was told this can be very common for women pregnant w/ twins at my stage in pregnancy b/c my body doesn't recognize the fact that I'm carrying two fetuses in my uterus. It just knows I have a lot of weight in there and thinks I'm nearing my due date for a singleton. This is also just something they keep an eye on and in most cases it'll be just fine but in others it'll trigger full blown labor. So as you can see I'm being watched like a hawk. I'm basically a daytime patient at the hospital and on bed rest while at home. I think it's only a matter of time until I'm fully admitted and then I'll most likely be there until the babies arrive.

I also had my growth ultrasound on Monday. I initially got a lecture b/c I've only gained 21 pounds to date. I've only gained 5 in the last 9 weeks. Obviously it's hard to eat when you're in mind blowing pain from kidney stones and also throwing up from the pain...so that hasn't helped. But, I've also have basically lost the appetite that I had. I think this is another example of how twin pregnancies differ a lot from singleton pregnancies. With twin pregnancies you slow down your weight gain a lot when you reach the 3rd trimester. You're uncomfortable and your stomach is compressed. I also have nonstop heartburn and indigestion. This seems to be the case of most of the twin pregnancies I follow and I'm no exception. So for those of you just starting out your twin pregnancies eat up...and when you freak out b/c you feel like you could eat an entire store and you're gaining weight really quickly...go for it...b/c it won't last and you need that initial weight gain to sustain you. I'm now trying my hardest to force myself to eat whenever I can so that I can gain the 45 pounds that my doctor keeps saying I need to reach. I seriously doubt I'll gain an additional 24 pounds in the short amount of time I have left. I'd have to gain at least 3-4 pounds a week. The good news is that my low weight gain hasn't affected the babies weights. Andrew (baby A) is estimated to weigh 3 pounds and Matthew (baby B) is estimated to weigh 2 pounds 14 ounces. I was told that these are excellent weights and there is no concern for their growth. Just for the fun of it I'm been measuring my stomach since early in the pregnancy and that keeps growing. My waist has increased 13 inches so it now measures 39 inches around.

Andrew still has a lot of fluid in his kidneys and I was told he will more than likely need surgery after he is born. Supposedly this is usually not a big deal and they just inset a tube to drain the fluid. Matthew also has some fluid but the amount isn't substantial so his will more than likely clear up on its own. My next growth ultrasound will give us a better idea as to what we can expect. Interesting that they both have kidney issues along w/ their mother. I'm told it's not related but I find it an odd coincidence.

My doctor has all of his IVF patients go to Valley Children's Hospital for screening of the babies hearts so I'll be doing that sometime in the near future. Not sure why...not sure I want to know. Just let the results be normal.

Thank you so much for all of your positive and caring comments. It's been a rough journey and I appreciate all of the support. Keep the prayers coming....

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 8/07/2007 8:53 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Oh Faith, I was so hoping to hear that things were going better! I'm sorry things are so difficult for you. I'm glad to hear that the boys are doing well in size. I'm sorry to hear the fluid isn't better with Andrew's kidney. All you can do is take it one day at a time! I'll be thinking of you

 
At 8/07/2007 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renal pelvic dilation, which sounds like what your boys have, is very common in boys and can correct itself in utero or within the first year of life. Generally the woman is re-screened week 32 (or around there) to see what's occuring. There isn't a tie to what you're experiencing, kidney-wise, which by the way, I'm sorry to read about.
Hang in there and hope the rest of your pregnancy goes a bit smoother.

 
At 8/08/2007 9:16 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear things aren't better. Try to get some rest and take it one day at a time. I guess the best thing right now is that they are monitoring you so closely. Thinking of you.

 
At 8/08/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Caba said...

Faith I think about you every single day! Hang in there! I wish I had words that could help more, but just know that all of this will be worth it when you hold your boys in your arms!

 
At 8/08/2007 12:11 PM, Blogger Summer said...

I'm sorry to hear things are still a little rough. I hope, in the end, all will turn out ok.

 
At 8/08/2007 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your uterus calms down. I am sure it is frustrating to be spending so much time in the hospital. I won't be for much longer and it will be worth it when you have your babies in your arms.

Thinking of you and hoping the next few weeks are rather uneventful.

 
At 8/09/2007 4:52 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I'm definitely with you on the reduced appetite thing - I have to force myself to eat. But fortunately at least I'm not having the heartburn/indigestion much. I'm finding that my energy is very low - and I suspect that it's because I'm not eating enough. but what's a girl to do?

I'm glad your kidney stone finally passed, but sorry you're having such a rough time. hang in there!

 
At 8/10/2007 5:20 AM, Blogger Bea said...

So some things to watch, but if it all stays ok... well, all's well that ends well. Fingers crossed.

Bea

 
At 8/10/2007 6:05 AM, Blogger Kir said...

OH sweetie, I've been thinking so much about you. I do hope that the next few weeks get better.
One day at a time and my prayers are coming, I promise.

*hug*

 
At 8/10/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

I'm so happy the stones have passed but so sad that it's just not getting any easier.

Stay strong Faith, you can do this.

((BIG HUGS))

 
At 8/11/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Sara said...

You poor thing! I hadn't checked in for a while, and am so sorry to hear about what you've been through while I was out to lunch. I hope that this is the end of it with the kidney stones already!

Sorry about the daily hospital trips too. What a nightmare! I hope that you get that much-deserved good news soon!

 
At 8/13/2007 8:25 AM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Thinking of you, Faith. HUGS! I had to get the heart test done on Rose, too.

I'm so happy that you are being monitored so closely - does it ease your mind at all? Wishing you some peace and a big appetite.

So glad the stone is gone!

 
At 8/13/2007 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with so many hurdles in this pregnancy. I feel so guilty because mine has been so low-key in contrast.

I'm glad they are watching you carefully, so at least you should feel well-cared for in the meantime.

Hoping that your growth ultrasound today went well!!!

 
At 8/13/2007 6:00 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

I'm glad you have to spend so much time traveling. That has to be exhausting on top of everything else already going on. I'm sorry your accommodations won't be a bit more comfortable, but at least you have them I guess. God knows I don't think I could get down and back up again sleeping on a mattress on the floor. I can barely get my self out of my bed at night every 1 1/2 - 2 hours so I can pee. Good luck and take care. Some how I think Jake and I are going to be hanging out together for a bit still. Oh well, at least I seem to have this part figured out, but I don't know about what comes next!

 
At 8/15/2007 4:21 PM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

Faith come back and update us, please!! I'm thinking of you and hoping you are doing well.

 
At 8/16/2007 7:04 AM, Blogger singletracey said...

Been thinking about you and praying that you and the boys are doing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller