Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Food Allergies?

Matthew has always had sensitive skin. I have to be careful w/ what wash and lotion I use or he gets a rash immediately. We've been doing solids for a month now and for the most part it was going well. Matthew is my smaller baby but he sure can eat. He loves food and can inhale two or three jars in one sitting. Part of me wonders if that is too much. The doctor says to feed them as much as they want. I think I'll slow down a little. Maybe just slow down how fast I give him the spoonfuls so he recognizes that he's full a little sooner.

Anyway...back to the reason of the post. Matthew had horrible diaper rash two weeks ago and we worked hard to get it cleared up. I'm sure it's due to the fact that he has 3 or 4 poopy diapers a day now from all of this new food. The diaper rash is gone but in its place is a terrible looking raised and bright red rash on his genitals, inner thighs and pelvic area. So is this still diaper rash? Or is it a food allergy? We've introduced a new food every 5 days. All he has had is rice cereal, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, pears and bananas. Bananas was the latest introduction. Could it be bananas? I really have no idea and its hard to determine b/c his skin is always a little irritated from something. So I decided to just eliminate everything except rice cereal and sweet potatoes (the first two foods) and just get it all cleared up. But..its been days and it doesn't look any better. Not worse but not better. We also just started vitamin drops w/ fluoride so could it be that... AUGHHHH... no idea. I feel so bad for Matthew...poor guy. I'm allergic to everything and its been a pain in the ass my whole life so I hope I didn't pass on this crappy trait.




Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 4/23/2008 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable photos!

I hope it is not a food allergy, but something more simple.

I also wanted to mention that it could be a yeast-infection-related diaper rash. They are harder to get rid of, from what I have read. Perhaps give your Dr. a call to ask if they can diagnose? If so, it could be treated with a simple antifungal OTC cream.

Best of luck in your detective work...

 
At 4/23/2008 12:44 PM, Blogger seussgirl said...

What cute little boys!
Sorry about the rash issues; I'm afraid I've passed on my tape allergy to at least one of my boys. It doesn't help that their faces have been covered in some sort of adhesive for most of their short lives already. :(
Hope it clears up for you!

 
At 4/23/2008 1:38 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

I was wondering about yeast also. It would be unusual for a reaction to a food to just be in the diaper related area.

Allergies are miserable. We go to the allergist next week and I am not looking forward to it. I am ready to know what he is allergic to, but not wanting to actually go through the visit. Mike and I both have allergies and I am told that puts all children we have at a greater than 75% chance of having allergies. I don't know if it is true, but I was expecting it.

 
At 4/23/2008 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think it is more diaper rash related if it is only in the diaper area. I know the yeast rashes can be tough.

They are adorable!

 
At 4/23/2008 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm lurker for a few months now. I think yeast also, or a different kind of fungal issue. A rash from a food allergy would likely not appear solely in the genital area. It would start in the on the trunk and radiate outward from there and would probably have other symptoms like the sound of breathing passages being narrowed. You could try straight talc powder (NO cornstarch...it will feed the yeast) or tell your doctor. In the hospital we use nystatin powder, but I don't work with babies...

Good luck! The boys are beautiful.

 
At 4/23/2008 5:46 PM, Blogger Caba said...

I don't have any advice. I would probably just take him to the pedi and have him check it out. Jake is much more sensitive with his skin than Hailey is ... We've had some HORRIBLE diaper rashes over here from antibiotics they were in for their ear infections ... All I know is that Triple Paste totally saved their poor raw butts!

I hope he feels better soon! And your boys are just too cute for words!

 
At 4/23/2008 9:36 PM, Blogger edie & ella said...

They are so adorable -- I love the overall shorts !!! When they grow up maybe they can meet Edie and Ella !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the update -- good luck with figuring out what is going on with your little guys diaper area.

Sam

 
At 4/24/2008 7:21 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I agree, it doesn't sound like a food allergy. Have you tried using Butt Paste? I've heard it works really really well to clear up skin rashes. Even TomKat recomends it :)

Your babies are beautiful!

 
At 4/24/2008 10:15 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Great pics! Hope you get the rash cleared up. Sounds uncomfortable!

Bea

 
At 4/25/2008 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to find some South African Rooibos tea - a herbal tea that I know is exported to the USA from here. Make a weak sollution of it in boiling water, cool it down and wash the area with it. Let it dry in the open air.

It really helps for most rashes - amongst them diaper and allergic reactions as it has natural healing and antiseptic properties.

Then have a nice calming hot cup to drink for yourself and relax - we mommies stress too much about everything. We drink it either with milk and sugar or without milk with a bit of lemon and honey. You can also give it to the babies to drink (without milk) and add a bit of juice for a sweet taste (in stead of sugar - no honey before a year). Also helps for alergies and also natural anit- aging properties.

 
At 4/29/2008 8:57 PM, Blogger Sharee said...

check out welltellme.com

they have so many home remedies and approach health issues with a natural approach. i'm in no way affiliated with the site but i have found good info there.

the babies are absolutely precious!!

 
At 4/30/2008 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my they are getting so big!I miss you guys.I will bring the boys to visit this summer.Ryan is doing real good he is crawling and started pulling up on everthing.I have a great recipe for a diaper rash cream works great for us.I will send it to you.Call me when you slow down.LOL April

 
At 5/01/2008 8:34 AM, Blogger ellie said...

I'm so happy that things are going well-- the boys look awesome! All smiles. And you moved-- nice that you aren't so far away from J during the day and have more time as a family! Hugs.

 
At 5/01/2008 4:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

those are two super cute boys you have there!

I have no idea about the food allergies. sorry!

 
At 5/02/2008 7:50 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

I have absolutely no helpful information for you but I wouldn't be surprised if what he has is another form of diaper rash. Like you, though, I have always had various allergies so I understand your concern. Along with these allergies, though, has been a skin sensitivity. So maybe it is a combination of the two?

The boys are GORGEOUS!!

XOXO

 
At 5/06/2008 8:09 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

LOVE the photos, Faith! I have no info on the rash stuff, though. I hope it clears up soon and is NOT a food issue! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller