Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Nearing 5 Months

Not a whole lot to report. My parents came down for a visit this weekend. So J and I went to see the movie "Definitely, Maybe" and had a late lunch afterwards. Movie was decent...not great but entertaining enough. It was extremely nice to get out and have some time alone w/ J. Lately I've been trying to just get out of the house more. Last week I took the boys on a walk almost everyday. It just breaks up the day which I find important b/c sometimes my days blur together with the endless 3-4 hour cycles of care that repeat over and over.

Now I enjoy "field trips" of my choosing for an errand or to get a coffee at Starbucks, but the medical appts are becoming daunting. The pediatrician we have is very cautious and I appreciate that. But what comes along with that is lot of visits to specialists to play it on the safe side. I pretty much set myself up for all of these appts when I express worry and anxiety over every tiny thing that has to do with the boys. So for example, I started to notice that Andrew has the start of a little flattening on the back of his head. So that led to seeing a specialist to see if he needed a helmet to correct whats called flat head syndrome. The pediatrician said it was very minor and he doubted that we would even be considered a candidate for a helmet but I had to be sure. I don't exactly want my kid walking around w/ a deformed head because I don't do tummy time enough. So the specialist pretty much laughed at me and said we in no way needed to be there and that Andrew looks great.... but that he'd have me come back in a month to reassure me that it hasn't gotten worse. More examples include the worry that Andrew looks one direction more than the other...so that lead to physical therapy 2x week to strengthen his neck muscles. Physical therapist said its very minor but we'll work on it to be on the safe side. And can I say that physical therapy w/ a baby is ridiculous. He kept crying and all she did was hand him back to me b/c she couldn't get him calm enough to do any exercises. Another example... Andrew has the kidney reflux and that is hereditary which means Matthew has a 40% chance of having it. This signed me up for more appts at Valley Children's hospital to have Matthew tested. The list goes on and on. So am I being paranoid or a very good and protective mother. Maybe a little of both I think.

On my medical front...I have the start of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I've been waking up w/ my fingers and palm all numb and tingly. Like my hand is asleep and it shakes off within 5 mins of waking but when I mentioned this to my doctor she immediately said it's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and that I need to start wearing a wrist brace at night so it doesn't get any worse. It's probably due to the fact that I'm carrying around a baby for most of the day. I have one of them constantly propped up on my shoulder.

Doctor also wants me to try *Ela.vil out for my chronic headaches. This is an anti-depressant but its prescribed sometimes for headache suffers. She said she's found it to be successful at helping many of her patients. I'm not thrilled. I just don't like the idea of being on an anti-depressant (when I'm not depressed) and all the side effects that usually go along w/ those.



J and I


Our Family

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 2/19/2008 11:29 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Look at you, Mrs. Skinny Minny!! I am so jealous!! You look awesome though and I am sure you hear it all the time..."you had twins?!?!?" I'm working on getting the pounds off (thanks for noticing my ticker!)but it is hard.
Glad that you guys got to get out for a bit...it does feel so nice though every time we've done it, I am so ready to get back to the girls...it's like a revitalizer.
And I am curious to see what your results are with the Elavil. I think that is what they first prescribed me when I thought I had PPD but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I never did get on an antidepressant but if it will make my migraines go away, sign me up. I've had a horrible bout with them this week :(
The babies are cute as can be!

 
At 2/19/2008 2:12 PM, Blogger TeamWinks said...

You guys look amazing! It's nice to see you all looking so happy. I hope you find the headache solution. Good luck!

 
At 2/19/2008 2:22 PM, Blogger Gemini Girl said...

look at your skinny little body- miss "I just had twins"

Your famnily is beautiful! please post more pictures!

 
At 2/19/2008 2:24 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

So what is the trick for being ridiculously skinny after having twins? I'd love to know!

 
At 2/19/2008 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look amazing! I can't believe you had twins not even 5 months ago!

I took ela.vil at one point for migraines, it did help with them, but it made me really tired. I took it at night, so I did sleep well when I took it, but it made it hard to get up in the morning.

 
At 2/19/2008 4:48 PM, Blogger Caba said...

Glad to hear that things are going well. It's a fine line for a new mom between paranoia and being a good mom. I think that you should always err on the side of getting everything checked out, just like you are. It's time consuming for sure! but the piece of mind is more than worth it!

The boys are adorable and your family is just beautiful!

 
At 2/20/2008 8:21 AM, Blogger Gemini Girl said...

Hey faith- my girls are drinking 4oz... sometimes they want more. I tried to up their formula to 5oz 2 weeks ago, but they threw up quite a bit so I figured it was too much for them. My girls are just about 11 pounds at this point, I truly hope they start sleeping!

 
At 2/20/2008 10:31 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

I think it is hard to know where the line between being overprotective and adequately cautious is. But it sounds like you are figuring it out. Maybe it will just take trial and error.

You have a beautiful family!!!

XOXO

 
At 2/20/2008 9:50 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Well, despite the worry you're certainly *looking* like a happy family!

Hope all your specialists laugh at you and tell you everything's fine. Better safe than sorry, hey?

Bea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller