Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

2 Months old

Last week I had a bad case of Mastitis. It started with the bright red breast that was painful and hot to the touch. Then I got a really bad fever that went up to 103.5. That lasted for a few days until the antibiotics kicked in. The weirdest part was the chills. I'd be so hot and burning up one minute and drenched in sweat an then an hour later I was freezing w/ two sweatshirts and blankets piled on me. I even got so cold that I put mittens on. I felt pretty bad. I'm still a little under the weather but not sure if it's the lasting effects of the Mastitis or if I'm just exhausted from sleep deprivation.

Breastfeeding is tough. I'd be fine if it was only one baby. But they are both eating 5 ounces every 3 hours and that means I need about 80 ounces of milk a day. Before the Mastitis I was able to come up with at least 80% or more of that and then supplement w/ formula for the rest but now my supply is a little lower since the Mastitis. Every day I think about switching to formula b/c I just don't have the time to pump. I'm no longer putting them on the breast, instead I'm just pumping after each feeding session. I then save the milk and have it ready for the next feeding. Not sure if this was a smart decision but there was no way I could deal with two babies that weren't satisfied on the breast. And I couldn't try to take the time (there is no time) to make them more efficient. I'd have them on the breast for 30 mins each and they'd be crying and hungry 30 mins later. That leaves no room for burping, diapering and getting any necessary chores done (let alone finding the time for me to eat or even pee) At least if I pump I can get them to go 3 hours by feeding them the milk in a bottle and therefore making sure they get a full belly. I have to be honest that I'm disappointed. I had hoped I'd have them both breastfeeding at the same time on the breast and I'd be doing it for at least 6 months or a year. I know that breast milk if the best for them. But- I'm just doing the best I can. I am not giving up just yet but I may be switching to formula soon.

Two months have gone by and we are now starting to fit into 0-3 clothing. Newborn size is getting snug. I just can't believe how fast they grow. When we came home from the hospital the newborn outfits were huge. We've also moved on to size 1 diapers for the most part. We were at Valley Children's Hospital yesterday to talk to a specialist about Andrews kidney. He still has fluid in his left kidney and we will be doing some more testing to see what the cause is. While there he was weighed and is now almost 10 and half pounds and 20 inches long! Matthew's kidneys were checked while we were there and he got a clean bill of health. Thank goodness. They didn't weigh him but I would guess he's around 9 and a half pounds. He's a little smaller than Andrew.

I've now been on my own almost a month. My Mom was going to come the first week I was alone with the babies but she came down with Shingles and we couldn't put the babies at risk plus she has been miserable. I didn't realize how awful shingles are. I hope I never have them. Hopefully she's all better soon. My parents were here for Thanksgiving and that was really nice. My parents are the types that can't sit still and want to stay busy. So both vehicles got washed, my oil was changed, the windows in the house were washed and all of my wooden blinds cleaned, ironing got done and we had full on meals the entire time they were here with no help by me....plus much more. Not bad, huh!

Also for my own records to look back on. We decided to switch from Avent plastic bottles to Evenflo glass bottles. There is the current controversy that certain chemicals in hard plastic bottles could be harmful to a baby so we decided we'd play it safe and just switch. We have also decided to put off the vaccinations. They will still receive all of their vaccinations but we are going to start the first shot at 4 months instead of at 2 months and space the following vaccinations out much farther. This came at the recommendation from our RE (Dr. Z) that we read a book on autism and other disorders and their link to vaccines. I love and respect Dr. Z and he has a son with autism so we decided to order the book and read it. It's called What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Vaccines by Dr. Cave. It contains some scary info that I definitely didn't know and you have to wonder why there is such a drastic rise in Autism. I'm also thinking about going organic with the baby food when it comes to that time. Or at least a good portion of it. J and I are just wanting to do everything we can to safeguard their health. I feel paranoid at times that everything out there is harmful. We were at Babies-R-us and ended up not buying a toy we were looking at b/c it was made in China. I tried to look for a toy...any toy...not made in China and couldn't find one. But all of these recalls on toys b/c of the findings of lead content is scary.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11/29/2007 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi faith - it's lisa. congrats on your boys progress. sorry to hear about the breast infection. important point is your boys are pink, healthy, and growing. easier said than done but try and not worry too much about changing to formula. my plan too was to breastfeed as long as i could but ended up almost immediately going to pumping (with lots of supplemented formula), then all formula at month 2.
re. vaccines, toys, etc. yeah, one can go crazy as everything is seemingly dangerous. i usu. think of how our parents did it, without many of the safeguards we have today, breastfeeding wasn't pushed and so on. and we turned out okay. good luck.

 
At 12/01/2007 10:20 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

I'm sorry to hear about the mastitis. I got a plugged duct two weeks ago and was starting to get sick but it never got full blown thank goodness.

I can't imagine trying to breast feed twins. With Jake, in the beginning it felt like I was starting over just as soon as I got finished. (nursing, then pumping, changing the diaper, maybe getting to pee, and then starting over). You couldn't have done anything else with two! I remember there were days that I didn't get anything to eat until 3pm.

Aren't the first two months the most important as far as getting breast milk? You made that.

 
At 12/02/2007 11:03 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I had the same problem you have experienced with the breast feeding - not getting them satisified and being starving shortly after. But we seems to have figured that out - I think it just took them a while to learn how to do it right. I worked a lot on the latch, and that seemed to help. I still pump a lot though, because I just find it easier sometimes, and this allows Jim to help me feed them. I breastfeed when I am home alone with them, and for my middle of the night feeding. But we do a lot of bottles.

We are using the Avent bottles, I have read the same about the plastic, but I think the risk is low enough tht I'm not going to switch.

Interesting about the vaccines. Ours are getting theirs tomorrow.

I am definitely going organic on the baby food.

 
At 12/03/2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Yeouch. I cannot imagine the pain of mastitis. I sure admire you for giving breastfeeding a shot with twins but we've had lots of success with formula so hopefully you'll find something that works for all of you.
Sounds like the boys are growing away...kind of sad to pack away those teeny little outfits though, right?
Hope you are feeling well!

 
At 12/04/2007 4:26 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Ouch that sounds so painful - and so hard. But it doesn't put me off at all! Thanks for your good wishes hon...everything is good so far!

Love and hugs

 
At 12/11/2007 9:48 PM, Blogger Nearlydawn said...

Faith! So happy to see that things are going so well. I realize you've had setbacks, and there are some lingering issues, but man, you made it! I remember watching your posts when you first found out you were PG with twins... Somehow I lost track of your blog, but am very glad to be able to catch back up and see that things are going well overall. Congrats on your beautiful baby boys!

 
At 12/14/2007 5:41 PM, Blogger Watson said...

Hi,

It's me, just wanting to say HI. I should call you soon, but these first few weeks are so hard.

I'm also just pumping, but my supply sucks(no pun intended!) and I might just forget the entire thing. Your babies have gotten all these weeks of your breast milk, so if it's time to go to 100% formula don't be too hard on yourself.

We're going to try the BPA free bottles from Born Free which Whole Foods sells, in case the glass ones don't work for you, and we're also delaying (and spacing out) the vaccinations. I have read part of the Dr. Cave book but need to finish it at some point. We have a holistic pediatrician who's very supportive of our decision re: vaccinations.

I can't believe you don't have any help Faith! You are SUPERWOMAN, please know that!

Hope we can chat soon,

XOXO, Watson

 
At 12/17/2007 10:43 AM, Blogger Motel Manager said...

We switched to the Evenflo glass bottles, too. I like them because they feel very hefty and also because they get really clean in the dishwasher! We still use our plastic Dr Brown's when we travel, but I've been very happy with the glass ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller