Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 01, 2007

5 Weeks Old

Every day I tell myself that I'm going to sit down and write a post but then the day slips away without a moment of free time. I really do hope I manage to find the time more regularly now b/c I know these weeks/months will just fly by and I'd like to record some of what's going on before its just a blur.

Each time I look at one of my boys I can hardly believe they're mine. It still seems surreal at times. My heart is so full. You never realize just how much and how fully you can truly love someone until you hold your baby in your ams. At that moment you know you'll do absolutely anything for that child to ensure their happiness and safety.

Andrew came home after 8 days in the NICU. It was tough having him there and I'm so thankful that he wasn't there longer than he was. He's doing great and we haven't had any issues since he's been home other than the fact that he's pretty fussy. I'm not sure if it's colic or what but there are times he just won't settle down even after a feeding, good burps and a diaper change. This makes for some rough nights. We recently started giving them gas drops after their nighttime feedings to see if it helps any. It seems like it may be helping a little but its still too soon to really know. Andrew is the noisier of the two. He makes so many noises constantly. He grunts, moans, cries and makes the funniest animal sounds. He sounds like a kitten and other times we have a billy goat, an elephant, a monkey and various other animal like sounds going on. I feel like we're in the middle of a zoo at times. Andrew also makes more animated faces. He loves to stick his tongue out and gets crazy excited when his pacifier or a nipple gets near his mouth. He'll thrash his head from side to side and look like he's going to swallow and gobble it down whole. I get a little nervous when I first place him on the breast b/c he's pretty aggressive and excited when he first starts feeding. But for all of his efforts he's not the best on the breast. He gulps a lot of air and at times seems like he's not sure what to do. He'll all over the place and will stay on the breast for a while but I think 50% of the time he's just using me as a pacifier. And once he's done he'll be hungry again in an hour so I know he's not getting full. But we're working on it and hopefully this will continue to get better and easier. I'm sure some of the difficulties result from him being in the NICU and being put on a bottle right away and not getting the chance to try breastfeeding for almost a week.

Matthew on the other hand doesn't differ all that much from Andrew. He's just less dramatic. He'll scream and find his lungs when he's hungry but once fed he'll usually be content. He's really easy to breastfeed for the most part. He latched on well from day one and has a very efficient suck so he stays satisfied for much longer. Right now I'm trying to breastfeed on the breast during the day and I'm pumping and feeding by bottle at night. Night time is really tough and I still don't know what would be the best routine for us. I pump b/c they go much longer after having a full bottle. They're eating 4 ounces each of breast milk by bottle and will go about 4 hours between feedings when fed that way. They only go 1 to 2.5 hours during the day when they're on the actual breast. By the time both are fed, burped and diapered it's basically time to start the process all over again. The problem with pumping is that it takes me forever to pump. I have the Madela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump which allows for both breasts to be pumped simultaneously but I find that doesn't work well for me b/c I get a lot more milk if I massage my breasts while pumping. So I only pump one breast at a time. I basically find that I have to manipulate and squeeze my breast while pumping or the milk supply will slow down or stop. I'm able to to get most if not all of the milk I need by doing this but it can take 45+ minutes and that is not fun in the middle of the night. I'm not sure whats going on with this. Maybe I should see a lactation specialist b/c I think I have a decent milk supply but I have no idea why the pump doesn't work like it should for me. Has anyone else experienced such difficulties? I know that I have to really focus on drinking tons of water and I'm trying to eat more b/c I notice a direct correlation to how much milk I produce. All I know is it's totally exhausting to pump for so long and I really dread it at times. Sometimes I wonder if it would just be better and maybe faster to breastfeed at night instead of pump but J feeds one while I feed the other when we use the bottles so that cuts out some time. I'm not sure. Night are really hard though. I'm just soooo tired. Really tired! At this point even with them going 4 to 4.5 hours at night with the bottles...by the time you take away pumping time, feeding time, burping and diapering time I'm only left with a little over 2 hours max to sleep between feedings and that's only true if they fall right asleep which never happens. So when can I expect them to sleep through the entire night?

Back to Matthew- He looks very serious at times. He'll scrunch up his face and look all worried about something. He was so small when we brought him home and he's eating up a storm. He weighed 5 pounds 1 ounce at birth and lost some weight so he dropped down to 4 pounds 9 ounces and now at 5 weeks he's basically 7 pounds. He used to be a full pound behind his brother and now there is only a half pound difference. It seems like they're already so much bigger. It's hard to believe that its already been 5 weeks. It seems like I just delivered them a few days ago.

At this point I think Andrew looks just like J and I think Matthew resembles me or my side of the family more.

J took 5 weeks off to be home with us and he'll be going back to work on Monday. So I'll be on my own from here on out. Thankfully I have my Mom coming to visit for a few days to help me transition to doing everything on my own. I'm mostly nervous about being exhausted and how I'll cope if I'm too tired. J won't be able to help as much at night since he'll have to function at work and the naps I catch once in a while during the day while J takes over will be coming to an end.


Here are some pictures. Enjoy.




Matthew and Andrew 1 week old




Andrew and Matthew 1 week old



Matthew and Andrew 3 Weeks old



Matthew and Andrew


Labels:

17 Comments:

At 11/01/2007 10:34 PM, Blogger Sami said...

Couple suggestions... you can get help at http://www.kellymom.com - great advice for breastfeeding. As for pumping - cut some holes in an old bra and put the horns/cones whatever you want to call them through it and you can pump hands free allowing you to be able to massage both breasts. It's significantly decreased our pumping time. Glad the boys are doing well and that things while chaotic are starting to settle into place.

 
At 11/02/2007 2:27 AM, Blogger Bea said...

Sounds like things are coming along, generally speaking. Hopefully you'll transition nicely to being home alone!

Bea

 
At 11/02/2007 5:54 AM, Blogger Caba said...

Your boys are so beautiful! I don't have any breastfeeding advice for you, as I didn't even try. The beginning is SO hard, and you are right in the middle of it. Hang in there Faith! It will get better and easier. You will find a routine that works well for you all, and with a little sleep you will feel like a new person. I cried A LOT during those first 2 months. Just really overwhelmed and sleep deprived. Please feel free to email me directly with any questions ... or check out http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?showforum=37 if you haven't already. It's all twin moms, and you can post questions and its just full of great advice. Hang in there. I PROMISE, it gets easier!

 
At 11/02/2007 6:46 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

Faith they are really something! Love the outfits BTW.
When you said that your heart is so full that really struck a chord with me. I am 2 weeks pg with a really crappy beta, but since getting that BFP, I know that this is something that women were meant to do. It's in our design.

 
At 11/02/2007 7:40 AM, Blogger Sara said...

They're so beautiful! Good luck with the breastfeeding. It sounds exhausting, but it also sounds like you're doing really well. Good luck, and keep us posted!

 
At 11/02/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Your babies are beatiful! I know how hard the first months are with twins. I'm glad your dh is home and mom is coming. I strongly suggest findind a local multiples group, go to nomotc. com to find one in your area. I know you've heard it, but sleep when the sleep if at all possible. Also, I rented a hospital breast pump, it was much stronger than the medela. In the end, I stopped bring the babies to the breast and just pumped. It's time consuming, but for however long you can do it, is benificial. Congrats!

 
At 11/02/2007 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what absolutely gorgeous babies!! i second the cutting a hole in a bra idea. i just propped mine up against the table or a pillow so i could have free hands. my daughter couldnt nurse for the first few weeks so, every hour, mooooo!

also, part of the issue might be with a bottle they are getting more hindmilk, the fatty part of the milk. you might want to talk to a lactation consultant about timing nursing so that they are getting the fattier milk then as well. for some, it can take 15 min or more of nursing to hit the fatty milk.

lastly, are you having issues with let down? it might help to record their crying for when you are pumping. 7 yrs later and the cry of a baby still makes my breasts ache!

good luck and really the most beautiful baby boys!

 
At 11/03/2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

They are so cute!! I have a pump in style I think and the lactation consultant at my hospital (when she finally came after I had needed her for almost a week) said that I needed to rent a hospital grade pump for at least a month to get everything working properly. I didn't do that because after that week I didn't have to do all that massaging to let down any more. I did initially. Now that I am back at work I get to use one of the hospital's pumps and I don't really notice a difference. Anyway, one of the rental pumps might help you get things working better.

 
At 11/04/2007 4:58 PM, Blogger Runergirl said...

Okay those are the cutes pictures ever
I have only one suggestion. I rented a heavy duty pump from the hospital at like $50 a month and it just suck the milk out like no one's business!!!
Good luck!!

 
At 11/05/2007 8:56 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

So glad to see the pics of your little ones...they are adorable! I hope the nights get easier for you; I know how rough it can be but it all goes away when you see those beautiful faces in the morning :) My girls go through phases...I can usually get one or two good nights out of them each week at this point but that's mainly because they've been really congested so they've had some bad nights. I'd say we started having longer stretches of sleep right around the 3 month mark but still not consistent :( I'm hoping that changes when they hit the "real" three month mark from their due date...we shall see.
You are doing great and just like you've probably heard a million times because I know I have, it WILL get easier.

 
At 11/06/2007 3:49 PM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

Wonderful! Thank you for the updates. I'm so happy for you and your beautiful family.

 
At 11/08/2007 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith,
Your boys are adorable! I had twin girls on 9/26 and am having similar experiences and issues. One suggestion...I bought the "easy expression" bustier so I can massage while pumping, and it works really well. Good luck!Michele

 
At 11/09/2007 5:39 PM, Blogger Watson said...

The photos are great and the boys are just beautiful, I'm so glad you're doing well~

XOXO

 
At 11/16/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

They are BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations!!

 
At 11/16/2007 10:58 AM, Blogger George said...

A friend of mine referred me to your blog - OMG, your boys are SO BEAUTIFUL! I haven't read your story yet, but I plan to. I'm in my 2nd IVF right now - ET this week sometime.

I wish you all the best with your two miracles!

 
At 11/18/2007 10:13 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

So good to hear from you - obviously i have no advice re breast feeding and nights but i wanted to tell you the boys are just beautiful!

 
At 11/19/2007 8:02 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Your babies are beautiful!
I have a suggestion for the pump. I also had to put my baby on a bottle in the hospital due to immature suck and she couldn't latch. I had to get my milk to come in via pump. I saw 4 lactation consultants that said the Medela Advance pump in style is not very effective at building a milk supply, so we rented the medela symphony. It is a hospital grade pump and so quiet and efficient. Mine is about 75$ for a month rental. Check out your maternity stores in town or a medical supply store and see if they carry it. It has been a lifesaver in helping me breastfeed.
Good luck and well wishes to your handsome little boys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller