Loooong Recovery-
I am 75% back to normal at this point. It’s been 12 days since my surgery. I have to say that this time around really put me on my ass. I've had a lot of concerns but Dr. Hands off doesn't seem concerned. I've been bleeding this entire time. And we're talking heavy bleeding. Dr. Hands off says it's from the hysteroscopy, not the laparoscopy. So that is why I didn't have this problem during my first lap. Heavy, continuous bleeding is not fun when you're not allowed to use tampons. I am so NOT a pad type of girl. I was expecting my period 7 or so days after my surgery and it came... but it's hard to know when I started since I've been bleeding from the start. So much for having a day 3 FSH test this month. I debated on doing one on what I thought was CD 3, but I finally decided not to put myself through that. I'd like an accurate test for once... and I want a break. A true break before IVF. If I do the FSH test on my estimated CD 3 and it comes back bad again...then I'll be devastated all over again and what good is that. And if it comes back good then I'll figure I screwed up the dates and went in on CD 1 or something. This surgery has already eaten up a good portion of what is supposed to be my off time from cycling and worrying about IF. So- I just want to have my consults this month and do nothing else regarding testing, appts, etc. After my consults I'll get on the ball again. Now that I think about it, my first consult with Big Guns clinic #1 is this Saturday. Our consult with Big Guns #2 is two weeks after that. This break is looking shorter by the moment.
Okay..back to my recovery-
I spent pretty much the first 5 days in bed, the next few on the couch and now I am able to do some chores and my basic daily routine except for the fact that I tire very easily. This is frustrating to me b/c I'm the "can't sit still" type. My parents are coming for 5 days next week and I have a lot to do before they arrive. I tend to over do it when I'm not 100% well, as evidenced by what happened this past weekend.
J and I went to Lowe's to buy a microwave. Ours caught fire internally and the top "inside" was completely melted when we opened it up. I wanted to get out of the house and this seemed like it would be a relatively short trip. When we got to Lowe's we waited forever for someone to help us, and once they did they took forever to find the box of the model we wanted in the back. Once the box was brought out, we opened it up and did some measurements b/c this is a build in Microwave and needs to fit our exact space. It was the perfect size so we should have been on our way, but nope... the saleslady brought out the wrong model. They look the same but are different models. By now I was feeling extremely tired and somewhat dizzy. I was hot and flushed and ready to go home. We waited while they searched for the correct model and I ended up telling J that we needed to leave. We'd been there 2.5 hours. I got up from a chair I was sitting in and had horrible blinding pain in my pelvic region. I doubled over, clutching my stomach and was trying to breath through the pain. At this point I had tears running down my face and couldn't stand so J was supporting me. We were also drawing a crowd to my mortification... in fact a very nice lady with good intentions rushed over and got me a chair. She kept asking me if I was okay and what could she do. J told her I just over did it after having surgery. She then proceeded to say over and over that she had thought I was having a baby. She said she couldn't see me very well since J was holding me up but she saw that I was bent over and it made her think I was about to give birth. She didn't say this once. She said it at least 3 times throughout this ordeal. I would have laughed if I hadn't been in such pain. At one point I told J that I just needed to get out of there. We headed towards the exit and the pain hit me once again. Finally they had J get the car as they wheeled me to the entrance of the store in a wheelchair. I still have no idea what happened or why I had such intense pain. But once we were home I felt much better.
Warning: TMI
Another not so fun aspect has been in the bowel dept. I had my first bowel movement today since my surgery. YES- that's right- 12 days of no action in that area. I was even on stool softeners that my RE told me to take. Does the word toxic come to mind?
So lets just say that I'm glad to be over the worse of this and hope to hell that I don't need a 3rd surgery anytime soon.
Even thought this is my break from ART treatments... I still plan to dig out the OPK's this week... that's right... I will be having sex before I'm officially allowed to b/c I’m going to end up knocked up this month via natural conception just like my good friend Alli for Secondary Infertility. (Congrats Alli!!!) This would make perfect sense too... b/c we'll be committing to a Flexible Spending Acct next week. We're putting in the maximum amount allowed for 2007 so that we can use pre tax dollars for our IVF. Once you commit you're stuck. If you don't use the money for medical needs by the end of the year, then you lose the money. If you're paying out of pocket for you're treatment cycles you should seriously look into this if your company offers it.



14 Comments:
Oh my gosh - I can't believe you went to Lowe's for that long! That is not good! You get your butt home, missy, and lay on the couch and watch Court TV like a good girl! :) That's scary. Your're lucky you didn't pass out or something.
I'm NOT a pad girl, either. Ugh - pads are gross. I refer to them as barbie doll mattresses.
THANK YOU for your congrats. In the interest of full disclosure, it wasn't completely natural - I had been taking Femara because I thought we were doing another injectible cycle but it got cancelled. So, natural in the sex department at least!
:) :) :) I'm glad you wrote in your blog - I was starting to worry about you!
Wow. Sorry the recovery is so long and slow. No more trips to Lowe's for you.
Sorry for the loooong recovery. I hope you're feeling much better soon. Bed rest sucks.
It's funny how people instantly think you're pregnant whenever you feel nauseated, puke or have abdominal pains. While I was suffering from Hepatitis, I threw up in front of my dad. Instead of feeling sorry for me he had this grin. And afterwards he told me he thought I was pregnant. Yeah! Pregnant with a virus. Hahaha.
Wow, your recovery has been a rocky one. I hope you are 100% very soon and that your break will be a good one. Good luck with the Big Gun consults.
The Flex Spending Account has been a lifesaver! Last year we set it up so I could have my eyes done this year...but then we ended up spending it on fertility treatments.
Glad to hear you are doing better but it still sounds like you need to be taking it easy. I know it sucks but your body needs it.
Oh UGH Faith - that sounds like a horrible HORRIBLE trip to Lowe's - I'm SO sorry to hear that you've had such a tought recovery period this time around.
Hang in there and remember that healing doesn't happen in a linear fashion. Be gentle with yourself, sweetie. I will be hoping you are 100% very soon!
I'm sorry it's been so rough...and I hear ya about pads. I had to wear one during my last cycle mainly b/c it was so heavy and I just thought "how is it that we STILL have to resort to this?!?!?!?!" I waited until my 20's to try tampons and then never looked back until all this IF mess screwed me up!!!
And I'm all for cheating in the baby-dance department; you just never know when you might hit the jackpot so you might as well cover all bases!!!
Hope you are feeling better : )
KAC--
Wow! Sounds like an incredible ordeal! I've never had the "honor" of having a lap...!
Did want to say that at my work, the Flexible Spending Account money can be carried over from year to year.... so check on that "use it or lose it" thing... I think you can even use it YEARS later for braces for your kids! (Now, good luck with the sex next week-- I'd love to know an Urban Legend in person!!!!)
Yellowgirl
Oh Faith! Im glad you're starting to feel better, but how scary what happened to you at Lowes! I had the same thing happen to me after my surgery BTW (not the Lowes thing but the starting your period when still bleeding from the hysteroscopy). I had no idea when I started. All you can do is move on. No more surgeries for either of us!
Oh Faith you poor thing. I can't get over how cruel our bodies can be to us. I started getting terrible cramps and I was advised to start using pads instead of tampons. I have only given in one time because it feels so dirty yucky gross (why yes that is how a nurse would describe it).
I am glad you are waiting to FSH drawn. Your poor body has had a hard time lately. My God! No poop for 12 days!! No wonder you were doubled over at Lowe's! How awful. I started progesterone and for the first time in my life I have experienced a bowel issue and I hate it. I don't know how you made it for 12 days!
I am trying to figure out what to do with my flex account. I have an appointment at the end of January to actually move forward into the world of infertility. I don't know how this is going to progress. (I'm still getting patted on the head and told to just "relax"). The only kind of account I know of that carries over is a health savings account and it is different that a flex account.
Good luck this month! Take care and don't over do it.
Faith -- what a horrible trip to Lowe's. I hope you have a quicker recovery than it's been going. Take care of yourself and don't over do it!
Hi Faith - It's Lisa. Geez woman, you certainly have been through the ringer. Chill and take time for yourself. You deserve it. And kudos for the positive thinking...keep trying naturally. Never know what good could come of it. Thinking of you and hoping for a speedy full recovery. Take care. ~L
Wow, Faith, you have had it pretty rough. The Lowe's experience sounds scary.
I think you are smart to wait on the FSH Day 3 testing for now. I am looking forward to reading about your consult on Saturday! I hope you get some good answers and options presented to you.
My deadline is also coming up for setting up a flex account - and I was waiting this cycle out, hoping that we wouldn't "need it." But, not to be, and so we will be opening one with the max amount for 2007 as well. Should have no problem ripping through that money quickly! :-(
Anyway, I will be thinking of you on Saturday - I hope the consult is enlightening and that you are feeling better by then.
Thanks so much for your support on my blog - your posts always make me smile. {HUGS}
Oh Faith, I was scared for you during the Lowe's story. My goodness, people are just oblivious. I am hoping you are feeling much better while I write this.
None of us are PAD girls anymore are we???When I had my LAP I hated the No tampon rule, hated it.
so glad you are ok, don't worry you'll get everything done before your mom gets in and if you don't , don't stress about it.
Have a great weekend and I am sending lots of hugs and a BFP via au naturale methods. Goodness knows you deserve the happiness of that .
*HUGS*
Post a Comment
<< Home