Terrible News
One year ago my FSH was 9.8 (borderline high) on day 4
Today my FSH was 13 (abnormal) on day 3
I just turned 30 in June
My current RE told me I only have a 16% chance of getting pregnant w/ IVF and less than 1% on my own.
I want to shrivel up and die.



29 Comments:
Faith, it's not often that I'm speechless. I am so, so sorry.
I don't even know what FSH levels are. If they fluctuate, couldn't you just be going through a low FSH phase? When I got my first S/A, the Doctor told me basically I would never father a child. Not only would the Buggins disagree, but during our last cycle my S/A was super-human. Please don't give up hope. I really think we could fill whole libraries with things doctors don't yet know about IVF, and at 30, you have some time.
Hang in there.
Is your RE willing to try IVF with your FSH at 13? If not, I would look for another doctor who will.
I have elevated FSH and although my RE is realistic, he has never discouraged me with such dismal statistics. Honestly - 13 is not that high. Elevated FSH also doesn't necessarily mean your egg quality is diminished, just your reserve. Your age, which is still young!, is a better indicator about the egg quality.
Check out Julia Indichova's book 'Inconceivable' for a pick me up. Her FSH was 42 and she went onto conceive.
I know it's hard and sucks, but don't give up hope.
I'm so sorry, Faith. I hope that it was just a fluke fluctuation and won't cause any problems. ***HUGS***
Oh Faithie Sweetiepie!
I am so sorry. But I do have to say that mine was 11 last year and just a few months ago it was down to 9. It does fluctuate. That is true. But I'm sorry that you are hurting and sad. I know. I really do know. Today is just a bad day all the way around it seems and I'm so sorry for how you are feeling. Big hugs.
OMG, Faith. I just don't even know what to say. I hate all of this - this is not the way it was supposed to go. I say this entirely too often - this is so unfair.
I emailed you hon - but also wanted to say in addition to that, to do some research on diet etc that could affect/enhance FSH levels. I do think they could fluctuate as well, so maybe another test in a wee while?
Hugs
Paula
Oh Faith, I'm so sorry. But I have to agree with the others and hope that this is a fluctuation, but of course you still feel crap and that's understandable.
And surely, ivf would have higher odds than that if you're only 30? FSH isn't a true indicator of quality, just quantity....
Take care love x
I just want to add Faith that the last time I got pg on my own my fsh was an 11. Granted, it didn't work out but I'm not sure how he can say that your chances are so low. Doesn't make sense.
Faith, in the past year, I've come to the conclusion that those odds they quote at us are pulled out of thin air...the good ones and the bad. Hormone levels can fluctuate without rhyme or reason. Test again.
Oh Faith, I am so sorry. I know that this news must be so hard (but I have heard that FSH fluctuates a lot...so maybe it's not going to be that high next month..I'll pray for it) there are always miracles and good dr's and friends (like me) to keep your hopes up.
Go take care of yourself now, but when it's time I'll be here cheering you on. You deserve to be a mom and I know you will be.
((HUGS))
Not only do levels fluctuate, but some doctors don't even consider FSH levels like that to be high when the antral follicle count is good. If I remember, you had excellent numbers of follicles for you IUIs, correct? At one point didn't you have 7? That's more than a lot of women have for IVF.
Please don't count yourself out, and don't let your doctor count you out. You responded so well to IUI meds that I would imagine you'll respond equally well during IVF.
((HUG))
OK - just went back and read your archives - your June 15 post indicates that your doctor told you that you'd be an IDEAL IVF candidate! And your antral follicle count was great!
Don't get too down. I seem to remember that Beth over at Prop Your Hips Up had a similar experience before her 1st (and only since it was successful) IVF. See her April 15 post - it's uncannily similar to your's. Again, big hug to you.
Faith, I sent you an email response yesterday, but I'm not sure if you read it yet.
These ladies (and smarshy) are all correct.
FSH is an indicator of quantity, not quality. You are only 30 so your quality is probably still good.
There are plenty of women (Beth!) with FSH levels like yours who have conceived via IVF.
And, the FSH levels fluctuate from month to month.
You have had a good number of follicles during your IUIs, so I think a good RE will take that information, plus the FSH information, to choose an IVF protocol that is most likely to be successful for you.
YOU ARE NOT OUT OF THIS GAME! You and J will be parents!
Hi Faith,
FSH is something I have not yet researched much but, from reading the other comments, I have to believe that there is still hope for you. I am just reminded of the time I sat in my RE's waiting room and a lady came in & told the receptionist that 3 previous RE's told her she would never have children of her own...she had her first baby last year and was coming to my RE to get things going to have her 2nd. Please don't give up; it might take going to another RE but find one that gives you hope. That is so incredibly important. From day 1 of my journey with endo, I have known how bad off I am and that I had the worst case of endo that my RE has seen in his 20+ years. But he has always told me that he will do whatever it takes to get me pregnant and is always encouraging. I know that someday we might have to throw in the towel, but neither one of us has even tried IVF yet so let's not count ourselves out before we begin. There is a greater power at work in our lives.
FAITH! Oh, {{hugs}}. I'm so sorry - that just sucks and how insensitive of her.
I wish I could say something helpful, but know that I am thinking about you. I know you're upset, and I am upset for you but I have to believe it WILL happen for you. It's not over.
Faith, you can't rely on those numbers. I recently had a conversation with my RE about my FSH. Apparently mine was 19. He told me that the latest research says that its not so much about the number as was previously thought, its more about if you can get good quality eggs or not. He also said that women in menopause have high FSH, but their numbers are more like 500 or 1000, so in contrast to that really, having an FSH of 9 and 13 now is really a minute difference. So don't feel too down, it may not make a difference for you at all!
Oh no. What a horrible thing to say. I agree with all the PP - FSH *is* deals with the COUNT of eggs, and you've had excellent antral follicle counts.
Don't count yourself out yet - talk to your new RE and see what they think. GOOD REs take all the information into account.
HUGS.
Hi Faith - It's Lisa. FSH levels fluctuate monthly and while 13 is not ideal, you can certainly get pregnant with this number. If it was 25 or higher, then you have no choice aside from donor egg or adoption. Your estrogen should have also been tested which is telling. But remember, FSH measures ovarian reserve, not egg quality. Sounds like your ovaries are a bit tired but the eggs you do have remaining could be quite robust. I know it's hard, believe me. If it's any consolation, my FSH was a 9.1 just prior to IVF and while I responded to the stimulating hormones slowly, the eggs I eventually did produce were good (in terms of quality). In your case, you may have to search around for a clinic that does IVF with an FSH over 10 (but under 15). I don't understand how your RE told you such a stat (16%) without a lot more data such which is only generated once you're mid-IVF cycle and is dependent on things including but not limited to antral count, how well you stimulated, number and quality of eggs retrieved, number and quality of embryos transferred, not to mention your husbands counts if you do standard IVF. Also, you may want to consider getting your FSH tested quarterly, just to see where you are. Hang in there. ~lisa
Faith, I know it's hard not to let your FSH define your fertility, but I just want to add my voice to the chorus of people who are saying that antral follicle numbers are more important than FSH. If your antral follicle counts are still good, then you can still have good chances with IVF. Get a second opinion or better yet, another RE.
Faith,
I am sorry your RE is so insensitve. FSH does fluctuate and you should have more test done. I am with most of the others as far as that goes. You also have a decent antral count as well.
16% though...geez Umm what formula was used to come up with that?... Those are worse then MY odds and I am 43..with only 1 tube and MFI thrown in too. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe talk to your RE about testing some more or I would go find another DR.
Please please please, don't give up based on so little information.
Faith, I am very sorry. Don't give up hope. Hormones DO vary. FSH level, in women, is in indicator of how much hormone the body needs to produce to mature the follicle to release an egg. So the fewer the eggs the higher the level. It doesn't say that your eggs aren't GREAT. Don't give up hope! I am a nurse and I tell people there is nothing wrong with a second opinion, or a third. How can your RE possibly come up with a number like 16%?!? There is no magic equation. Our lives are a long and rocky road. Make this be a pebble not a boulder. You can do it Faith!
I so sorry to hear this news. I would be the first to admit that I don't know much about FSH numbers, but I do know that doctors don't know everything. Even if your chances of getting pregnant are low there is still a chance. I encourage you to hold on to that. It is all that any of us can hold on to...a chance!
I'm sorry. Don't be disheartened. As long as there's still a chance, don't give up, there's still hope.
I am just catching up... so sorry about your IUI. :(
I have read that FSH can fluctuate, I hope you just picked a bad month to be tested. big hug
I always go back to the fact that if we didn't have fertility issues your chances of getting pg are only about 25% each month... so when you put that in perspective 16% seems not to sound as bad. (But what do I know anyway!!) I really am hoping everything works out for you.
Take care
Hi Faith. You can still cycle with "high" fsh. it might take a bit more work to find some good eggs, but it's done All. THE. TIME. Having said that, i know it feels like a death sentence. Mine was 15 for my first IVF and not much lower for my 2nd. It's crushing and defines your existence. but it's not the end of the line. really!!
I am so sorry to hear that. It's hard, but I try not to put too much stock into numbers and statistics. People get pregnant with high FSH, and yours isn't that high. Maybe a second opinion. Our cycles are not the same from month to month... I don't want this to be assvice, but as I don't know you, I just wanted to say something that could be encouraging and constructive, and possibly even comfort you. I am very sorry for the disappointing news. I'm right there with you (over 4 years and I'm 31). Good luck, I hope you have a relaxing and peaceful weekend!
I'm sorry Faith. This all sucks so bad.
I'm with Hope548 though, it would seem to me that these stats don't mean a whole lot when it comes right down to it. I've seen high chances get shattered and low chances succeed, time and time again.
Not that that helps. Right now, it must be impossible to be positive and hopeful.
Thinking of you.
hi faith. ok- I am back from holiday. I ran into this awhile ago myself-- I'd just done a whole cycle and they checked my fsh- through the roof-- and then they gave me the donor egg talk. I hope you did not have to go through that talk-- it's not really a pleasant one. So it turns out from all my reading that fsh is a bit of a moving target and there are plenty of ways to deal with a climbing number and plenty of drs. that are high fsh level friendly. Takes a bit more work to find one-- but there are out there. An option you could try is to not do anything this month and check your fsh again on cycle day 3 next month. I am betting it goes down-- mine was something like 7 the last time they checked it-- and when they gave me the DE speech it was something like 21. It had never been that high before- and it has never been that high since. Anyhow, I hope that things get better- and I am thinking of you.
Hugs! PS. Your neighbors would scare the heck out of me too--just so you know that you are not alone- and I'd proably love having you as a neighbor.
Faith - just checking in on you. I'll send you an email.
Post a Comment
<< Home