Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 02, 2006

Change of seasons...

Winter is right around the corner. Last week it was in the 90's here on my little side of the world (California). The temperature plummeted this weekend into the 70's and it rained all night long. I'm a warm climate person and definitely favor summer. I think I’m just cold blooded and lucky to live in a place to tends to have mild winters. I have no idea how I survived years growing up in Colorado when I feel like my blood is freezing in 60 degree weather. I also have a hard time when the sun isn't out. I get depressed when it's dark and dreary. We have a lot of fog here and that's the worst. It's scary to drive in and you feel like your in a moist, gray haze (wrecks havoc on your hair too). I need my daily dose of sunlight!

So... anyone notice something different about my blog? I changed the name. Bad Robot was a joke between J and I when I first started this blog... I wanted something different and that's all I could come up with. Now the name means nothing to me and I've had several people unable to find my blog b/c they know me as "Keeping the Faith". So that's what I changed it to.... This is much more fitting for this longer than imagined infertility journey. Feel free to change my name on your link if you have one or keep it the same. No biggie!

On the TTC front.... I'm still in the 2WW. J and I are trying to decide on our next course of action. We know we're doing IVF next. NO more IUI's. But I am thinking about having my mild Endometriosis removed next month. I had a diagnostic lap in Nov 05 and my OB/GYN didn't laser off the Endo he found... I was so upset about that. He just assumed I'd go on a full strength 6 month Lupron treatment. This is one of the reasons I consulted my current RE. I wanted a 2nd opinion. 6 months of Lupron (not the small dose you use for IVF...but a huge dose that puts you into temporary menopause) is supposed to have horrible side-effects and it can end up taking 3-6 months after you stop taking it for your periods to come back. So you can see why I was reluctant. Anyway after I started w/ my RE we went right into the fertility treatments and never discussed the Endo again.
My dilemma now is should I have another lap next month and have my RE laser it all off? There is much debate about this. You can find many websites that say lasering off mild Endo won't help fertility at all. Other sites say it does help.... sometimes a lot. I even found one site about an IVF study that showed women w/ mild Endo (Stage 1 or 2) having a huge increase in success rates over women that didn’t have the surgery. When I asked my RE, he said we could do the surgery if we want to try more IUI's, but that it wouldn't help the success rates for an IVF. And the refresh you memory this is the RE we aren't comfortable w/ and won't be using for IVF. So his opinion holds only a little weight w/ me. Basically it comes down to if I'm willing to have another lap for a small chance that it could help w/ the success of our first IVF or maybe for the 2 months we'll be trying on our own before our first IVF. A laparostic surgery has a relatively quick recovery period and it would be covered by my insurance. So... what do you think? Should I go ahead and do the surgery b/c it might help or should I trust that the IVF will bypass any Endo issues. Any opinions, thoughts or knowledge regarding this issue high appreciated.

7 Comments:

At 10/02/2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say that if it won't hurt your chances of success, and it's covered by insurance and it may help, then why not? Are you able to discuss with anyone at the RE office that will be doing your IVF?

I'm still crossing everything that this IUI will work for you!

 
At 10/02/2006 12:59 PM, Blogger Kir said...

Oh Faith- I don't have any good advice. I had a Lap and it was ok, they did end up taking my right tube but other than that, the recovery was ok. I felt yucky for about 4 days and then I didn't.
I think that you should do what you need to to feel like you are giving yourself the best possible chance.
As someone who is looking down the IVF road with you, I know that the decisions are hard ones to make. Plus I am not giving up hope that this IUI has worked and we don't have to discuss the Lap or IVF . Nothing would make me happier.

I am also a summer girl and while living in the NE offers me 4 real seasons, beautiful colors and new wardrobes I am sad that it seems that the seasons really are changing and autumn is coming.

Sending a little sunshine to you sweetie :)

 
At 10/02/2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Faith, I don't have any advice about the removal of the endo, but there are plenty of lovely ladies giving you info on that. I just hope you are successful in this IUI and don't need to worry about it right now!

We are also experiencing a cool-down, and while I prefer the warmer weather too, there's something about the falling leaves that makes me feel good. The thoughts of hot cocoa, football games, smores, bonfires and hayrack rides (but that's the Midwestern girl in me talking!) The fall leaves on the East coast are also something to behold.

I hope you have good news soon. Thinking of you, as always.

 
At 10/02/2006 11:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you aren't going to do anymore IUIs then I say why bother with a surgery that won't help anything. It'll take time to schedule the surgery (mine was a month wait) and then once you have it, you'll have to recover from the surgery and then wait for a normal cycle to start before you could even begin a cycle again. You have time obviously because you weren't planning to do IVF til after the new year. It's up to you, but if you are definately NOT doing another IUI, then why do this surgery that won't increase or decrease your odds with IVF? Good luck with this 2ww, I hope that IVF will be unnecessary because of this cycle!

 
At 10/05/2006 8:41 AM, Blogger x said...

I don't have any experience with Endo so I try to limit my advice to things that I actually know. I can understand why you would be frustrated that they didn't take care of it the first time.

 
At 10/05/2006 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith, I totally agree with Donna. If it won't hurt, could possibly help, is covered by your insurance, and you are able to allow yourself some recovery time, why not? You should get a second opinion from a doctor you really trust, though. Not that last jackass.

WHY didn't they just do it when they were in there in the first place?! That is so frustrating!

Love the blog name change, btw!!
{{hugs}}

 
At 10/05/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Smarshy said...

Faith, your pixie is CRAZY hot. Smoking. I can never remember how to find your blog! Name change will help. Going on my blogroll.

Seriously, the long dark hair with the curl does it for me. And it looks like she has little sparklies or something in her hair. She's going on my list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller