Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Recovering

I had my surgery (laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and HSG) on Friday. Everything went well except for the fact that they had one hell of a time starting an IV on me- I looked like a pin cushion when they finally got one started. It took 3 attempts and I was in tears. *ugh* I've been told that my Endometriosis was mild and my RE was able to remove all of it. They found one small cyst on an ovary and removed that too. Other than that everything looked really good. My uterus looked good- nothing abnormal found in there and my tubes are still clear. So basically my reproductive anatomy is in good shape. Now I can focus all of my worry on my egg quality :-)

I'm having a longer and much rougher recovery this time. For some reason I've been in horrible pain (lots of pain killers needed) and unable to even get up by myself for the last 3 days. I'm thinking I got lucky during my first lap (I was up and about in a day that time and didn't need one pain pill). This time I can feel the gas in my shoulders and under my rib cage. My ribs feel bruised. Every deep breath, hickup, yawn, etc. causes pretty intense discomfort. I've been extremely naucious. I'm finally starting to feel a little better today and can actually sit up for a little while. J's had to take care of everything. I realize just how much I prefer to be the one taking care of him, not vice versa. I'm sure he agrees. LOL

I'll be having another FSH test done on CD3...should be expecting my period in a few days. I was told that my period will be lighter b/c of the surgery so I hope I'm able to figure out which day is cycle day one. Anyone remember if their period was extremely light or just a little lighter? I'm really nervous about this test. I was beyond devastated at the results of the last one. I'm praying the last test results were a little elevated since it was done right after I cycled on meds. So please say a little prayer about my FSH level. I'm just unable to accept that my FSH is abnormal when I'm only 30.

My medical records have been sent off... I'm excited and nervous about my upcoming consults.

I'm planning to have a flu shot this Friday. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be good or bad? I figure it's a good idea since I plan to do IVF during the flu season but I don't want to do anything that could be harmful in any way. And I can't ask the new RE's until I'm an official patient. They are reluctant to answer any medical questions until my consult.

***headed back to bed. Day time TV sucks!

22 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger Nickie said...

Faith - I just found your blog from Heather's at BigP and Me. I too have highFSH. My highest reading was 16.9 on cd2. I'm 33. It sucks to get that kind of dx when you're still so young, just devastating. We also have bad sperm to work with, but I wanted to pass along some hope, I got my BFP on Friday on a natural cycle before I was to start IVF. It's still early, but I'm very hopeful.

What was your previous reading? I'll dig back thru the blog, but thought it might be easier to ask directly.

 
At 11/07/2006 10:37 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

Oh sweetie, I am sorry that you are having a harder time with the recovery - though I am heartened to hear that they were able to remove all the endo and the cyst. Indeed now we can focus on the eggies without having to worry about all the other stuff. :)

Not sure about the flu vaccine - I haven't gotten one, and I'm not sure how my RE feels about it either. Wish I could help more.

 
At 11/07/2006 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this recovery isn't as smooth as the last one. I had a lot of pain in my shoulders from the gas, so it took me a while to recover too. I'm glad that they were able to get the endo and the cyst. Take care.

I'm also not sure about the flu vaccine. Sorry I couldn't help with that.

 
At 11/07/2006 12:23 PM, Blogger BigP's Heather said...

I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm glad that everything was taken care of and it looks good now!

I will keep you in my prayers.

 
At 11/07/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I am glad that things went well with the surgery but sorry that the prep and recovery haven't been so easy. My 1st lap was my worst and each one a little better from there, so we are opposite! I do remember my periods being lighter after each though...mine are usually 7-8 days (fun) but after the laps they were more like 4-5 days.
Take it easy and I will most definitely be praying that you get better results with this FSH test.
Take care!!

 
At 11/07/2006 2:38 PM, Blogger M said...

I wanted to comment on your previous post. I was on P@xil and Wellbutr!n before doing IVF. I have anxiety/OCD and depression. My RE made me go off of Pax!l before doing IVF. He wouldn't do it if I was still on it. Wellbutr!n I could have stayed on. Being the paranoid person that I am, I went off of that too.
I did remarkably well throughout IVF and pregnancy and didn't need anything. At one point I thought I might need something, and my dr. suggested Zol*ft.
If you need something, take it. Only you know what you are like with and without medicine. And if it's going to help, and relieve some of the stress of IVF, by all means, take it.
You can read about my IVF journey on my blog. You;ll have to go back in the archives to Decemeber/January but I know I talk about my struggles with anxiety in a lot of my posts.

 
At 11/07/2006 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Faith, I am so happy that you are done with the surgery. I don't remember feeling much pain at all when I had mine - I don't remember taking pain pills at all so mine must have been more like your first one.

Praying for your wonderful results and that something was off with the last test.

Not sure about the flu shot - we get them every year but that's a good thought that I may want to double check that it's okay! :)

Thinking of you, girl! Hope you wake up feeling much, much better. {{hugs}}

 
At 11/07/2006 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your recovery has been slow. I can't comment on the light period- my lap was so long ago. I'm glad that anatomically things are now looking good. I hope your next FSH level brings some additional good news.

 
At 11/07/2006 7:43 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

I hope you feel better. Think low FSH. What is that called... biophysical feedback?? when you can change what is happening with your body by using your mind. I know they encourage women to get flu shots when they are pregnant, even in the first trimester. I can't think how it would impact IVF, but just incase I would think the sooner the better. The only containdication listed on the paper from my shot was an allergy to eggs...

 
At 11/07/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

I'm glad your lap findings look optimistic. Hoping for your speedy recovery. Take it easy. Don't worry about the FSH, just think happy thought.

The flu vaccine is a good prophylactic to protect you and soon to be baby from harm. There are a lot of vaccines which are given before getting pregnant, such as MMR (Mumps measles and rubella) vaccine. This is a live attenuated vaccine, which means they give it in a weakened form. You can't get pregnant within 3 months of getting the vaccine. I'm not so familiar what type of vaccine is given for the flu but it's safe to ask your RE.

I'm praying for you. We're actually the same age. And I know you also get the "you're still young" comment. But honestly, I'm getting worried too. We're still in the IUI phase, but if we have to, I don't want to waste time, I'd start IVF too.

Good luck.

 
At 11/07/2006 11:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think I read on someone's blogs that the flu shot was safe. Or maybe it was on the AOL ivf messageboard? who knows. Glad your surgery is over. I had some pain after mine back in May. I think they prescribed 30 percoset and I ended up needing 26 of them. I also had some very mild endo which he cleaned up and he took off some cysts from my ovaries too...maybe that's why there's pain? I remember very light bleeding on the day of surgery and the day after it got really heavy and lasted a few days. However I was due to start at the same time that they did the surgery so I think thats what it was. I don't think it was heavier than normal, can't remember if it was lighter than normal either. Remember, I was on some good pain pills! Rest up and enjoy J's nursemaid routine while it lasts! :)

 
At 11/08/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger soralis said...

Hoping you recover soon.

Take care

 
At 11/08/2006 10:17 AM, Blogger BeckyZ said...

I just ran across your blog--your dx sounds somewhat like mine (31, FSH-11.3, DH-low count) and I too flipped out when I got my #s back. A year ago I was at 8-9.85.
Right now i'm in the middle of my first IVF and so far so good--I'll find about about embie quality tomorrow.

There's a LOT of debate about how much your FSH impacts your fertility--if you're unhappy with your clinic, can you find another one really fast? And the numbers really don't mean anything in the end. Just like pg, every IVF seems to be different and unpredictable. I'm taking it day by day. Tomorrow I might have bad news, but today I definitely have good news and I'm going to concentrate on that.

I hope that your day for good news comes swiftly. Keep going forward, keep hoping.

 
At 11/08/2006 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith - Sorry it's taken me a bit to post my comment.

I'm really glad your lap/hyst/HSG is overwith and I'm glad they only found mild endo and the small cyst - that sounds very very promising.

I hear you on the IV- this time for my ER, the anesthesiologist tried my "tried and true" spot on my right arm, but it kept popping out, so they had to use the top of my hand instead. Not fun. But I was looking at the clock the whole time. If I had been looking at the IV I think I would have fainted (and then they could have just kept me out for the retrieval!)

I hope you do have a very light period - wouldn't that be a gift? I'm also really hoping your next FSH results are back on target.

When are your consult appointments? Looking forward to hearing more about those when they come up.

Take care - I hope the pain is starting to subside! {HUGS}

 
At 11/08/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Kir said...

Hi sweetie, I am so sorry that this recovery is taking the best of you. Just take good care of yourself and let J take care of you ok?
It sounds like the lap itself went well and thank goodness everything is in order down there..right?
I actually got a + opk the day I had my lap (hahah) and my AF was very late, by about 2 weeks and was very heavy and crampy..so I am of no use to you whatsoever..ha!
I am crossing my fingers for low FSH and some good naptime for you until then.
I am so glad you are ok, sore for sure, but ok.

*BIG HUGS*
Kir

 
At 11/09/2006 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to wish you a quick recovery and offer some assvice on the gas/pain (it took me three surgeries before a nurse explained to me how to deal with it). I had gas so bad after this last surgey that I couldn't lay back on the couch or anything. The slightest touch was excrutiating. I was told to keep my left arm elevated, you can kind of keep it in the air, with it bent at the elbow (so your hand falls to the nape of your neck). This moves the gas in your body towards getting out.

As for my period, it was really weird after my last lap. I pretty much had light bleeding straight through to a period. Not much cramping, or heavy bleeding, but just weeks and weeks of sitting on a pad. not fun.

Good luck! and speedy recovery for you!

 
At 11/09/2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Debbi said...

good luck with the fsh blood work. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Personally, I always get a flu shot. there's not really a down side.

 
At 11/10/2006 6:44 AM, Blogger x said...

I am sorry that your side effects have been so hard this time. I am hoping your FSH results come back good.
As for the flu shot, I had the worst flu of my life when I started my gonal shots for IVF #1 and it didn't affect the cycle so I don't think it's necessary, I'd just do it if it you want to.

 
At 11/10/2006 10:24 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I had a gas bubble in my shoulder for a few days after my lap. It was such a strange feeling!

 
At 11/10/2006 1:49 PM, Blogger Josie said...

It is so hard not to worry about the next thing, such as the FSH test. If anything error on the side of caution and go in earlier than later, then they can always continue to test you if it is in fact not CD3.

My E2 score was high, but after I had a whopper cyst removed it went down and my FSH is 7.4 Apparently the numbers are good by my eggs are still poor. What I guess I am trying to say is that there are no for sures in the process other than bringing home a healthy baby. Even if you have a few curve balls it looks like you havea strong support network.

Try to stay pain free - that lap can be quite painful. Best wishes.

 
At 11/14/2006 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you?! Hope you are feeling great and finding something to watch on tv! :)

Email me!

 
At 11/17/2006 9:37 AM, Blogger BeckyZ said...

I hope you feel better soon---and hope that your next FSH reading is a good one. Mine's 11.3 and that's scary enough.
Good luck with your recovery--
Meanwhile, I tagged you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller