Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, November 17, 2006

Questions for my IVF consults

***okay ladies. I have my first consult tomorrow and then another a week and a half after that. I hope to decide between the two sometime in early December. I'm actually hoping that I'll be so "WOWed" by my first consult that I can cancel the second one (and save the $500 consult fee). This is the list of questions I have so far. I can't wait to say good bye to my current RE. Am I missing anything? Can you think of something else I might want to ask?


Questions for the RE:

Now that you have seen my records what other testing would you like us to do?

Based on the information you have (medical history, past IUI’s) what are our odds for success with IVF?

What type of protocol would you suggest for me? Long Lupron, with or without birth control pills, micro-flare protocol, antagonist protocol?

How do you anticipate that I will respond to the meds? Poor responder, high responder- how does your protocol account for that?

What do I need to go to retrieval? Egg wise and estrogen wise? Can we convert to IUI if there are less than 6 follicles?

What are your requirements for your shared risk and multiple plan packages? Would we be accepted into those plans? When would will we find out if not?

Do you recommend day 3 or day 5 transfer? Which do you normally do?

We would like to do ICSI, but what about assisted hatching? PGD?

Do you do ultrasound-guided transfer? Give valium for transfer?

Are all procedures done on-site at your clinic?

Is the sperm collection done on-site or do we bring in the sample. Is a room provided for collection?

Do you allow acupuncture before and after transfer in the clinic? Can you recommend someone for me to use? How do you feel about herbs?

What are your thoughts about medication for anxiety/depression?

Is it okay to go on long walks/light jogging and do Pilates up until transfer? How else can I prepare? What books would you recommend for reading?

Who do I see for my monitoring? Do you always do the ER and ET?

Can I do local monitoring in the beginning of the cycle? For u/s’s? for b/w? What local monitoring is allowed?

How long will I have to be in XXXXXXX? How many u/s’s are required for one cycle typically?

Are u/s appt times available throughout the day or only in the morning?

What procedures are performed on the weekends?

Are the clinic and lab open 365 days a year?

Can I leave a message for you or e-mail you with questions? How soon on average can I expect a response?

Is there a phone number for off-hours problems?

We would like an itemized price sheet.

When can we expect to start our cycle? (How long will the testing take?)

What do you do from here?

9 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 11:57 AM, Blogger BigP's Heather said...

How many will they transfer?

How much time off do they recommend after retrieval? after transfer?

That is all I came up with off the top of my head, but I'll keep thinking. You may not want to ask these...

 
At 11/17/2006 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Faith - It's Lisa. A couple q's I'd add to your list (which looks great so far):

1-What are the clinic's success rates?

2-Does the clinic specialize in women with borderline FSH levels?

Good luck!

 
At 11/17/2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Summer said...

I have a similar suggestion as Lisa's questions. What are the clinics success rates specifically for couples with your similar situation/medical history?

 
At 11/17/2006 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you are on top of it, Faith! Here's to the first one wowing you both. Won't it be nice to tell your current office to kiss it! LOL.

 
At 11/17/2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey KAC--
Great list! You might want to also ask what types of further testing, if any, they recommend? (Common ones being hypercoag panel stuff-- mthfr, protein C and S deficiency, ANA's, Factor V). (And can you do these locally and send them the results?).

Also, does he think testing for Beta 3 integrin is a concern for you (this involves testing during the LP of your cycle to see if you have the integrin you need for implantation-- if you don't, treatment is a few months on lupron).

You might also inquire about their position on immunity testing and treatment. I did some testing on my own, but my doc said the evidence is not really there yet. Lots of people (and docs) have very strong opinions on these immunology issues.

You might ask about the estrogen priming protocol for poor responders-- is that something they do, and would it be recommended for you?

Also, re the stats, find out about FET rates too, as that can tell you some clues about how good their lab really is.

Good luck!
Yellowgirl

 
At 11/17/2006 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did 3 IUI and 2 IVF. They all are failed. I just want to tell you that don't put too high hope on it.

I wish you the best and good luck.

 
At 11/18/2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is their success rate for women with FSH in your range? (10-14, 15-19, 20-24)

The other testing stuff is good too. Immune testing? Clotting? Thyroid?

 
At 11/20/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Kir said...

Hi Faith

I don't have any additional things to add, just wanted to tell you that I am thinking of you and really hoping that this consult helps to get a "PLAN in ACTION" for you.

GOOD LUCK sweetie, lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way

:)

 
At 11/20/2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

That is a great list! So great that I might have to borrow some of those questions if I end up going to another RE (hopefully I won't though!!)
I'm curious to see how it goes...and floored that there is a $500 consult fee for the other dr...wow!!!!!!
I hope things go as perfect as possible with the first...trust your instincts though.
Looking forward to finding out how it all went : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller