IUI #6
We're back from
I didn't have much hope this past cycle. Maybe because I had to be on three rounds of birth control pills to get rid of leftover cysts from the previous cycle. *UGH!* I think I was plain worn out before we even started IUI #5. I was so sick of going in for continuous ultrasounds to only hear that I still had my cysts. This time I was cyst free and the nurse was so positive. She was very upbeat and told me she felt like my time was near. I told her this was our last IUI before we move on to IVF and she understood. But, she said that many women do go on to do a year or more of IUI's w/ COH. A year or more… *gulp* … do any of your clinics make comments like this? She said she sees many women get pregnant in later cycles and that of course sparked a little twinge of hope inside me. She wouldn't lie to me so she must honestly think it can still work. She wasn't telling me to accept the fact that it wasn't working and to move on. It's still frustrating though b/c I've had one RE (partner at my infertility center) that told me to stop at IUI #6. He said there could be something wrong that we don’t know about and that you’re wasting precious time if you keep up w/ IUI’s. My RE and the nurses tell me 5 failed IUI's doesn't mean there is something else wrong. It could be bad luck, etc... and can still work. I hate the "it's a personal choice... you have to do what you think it right for you and what you are comfortable with... yadda yadda yadda". I want to scream that I'm not the doctor... you are... so don't leave these decisions up to me.
How many IUI's does you RE recommend? Was the recommendation based on the idea that IUI’s weren't likely to work after X number of tries or was it a financial consideration? IVF would be more cost effective with its much higher success rates?



10 Comments:
My RE is alot like yours; she often puts me in the driver's seat wtih making decisions, but if I really push her for her opinion about what to do next, she'll give it. She is very honest about the fact that sometimes there is no reason something is not working - b/c this reproductive thing is not a perfect science. My body seems to respond differently to injectables every month, as an example. She once said, when you get so totally frustrated and fed up, its time to move on.
Good luck making your decision with the number of IUI's. We tried for so long our RE sent us right to IVF so we got to skip the IUI's.
I hope this one works for you so that you don't have to make the IVF decision.
Take care
Faith, congrats to you for being flexible and low keyed enough to not let this absolutely control your life. I'm so impressed that you took your meds camping with you! My wife and I sometimes feel like out entire weekend revolves around those shots. I just read your post to her and she is in awe of you.
Good luck with your decision on the # of IUIs. It's a tough decision to make. My first RE, before I had even done the first IUI, was pushing for me to do IVF because of the blocked fallopian tube. I, however, wanted to try IUIs just in case. We decided after the last one (the third one) that we did with injectables was the last one because of what the doctor had previously said and what she was again saying to us. Another doctor I saw also encouraged us to move to IVF, so that's what we're doing.
I really hope though that this IUI is the one that will work for you so you don't even have to make that decision to do another IUI or move onto IVF.
Cyst free! That's a very good thing! I always felt that a cycle would have a btter chance starting "clean".
Best time I had doing inj was at a Dead concert. Dear Lord, should have seen the police all over when I pulled out the bag o'meds to show them what I had... : )
Depends on the person/situation. At my age, I was told I could try up to 6. Unfortunately, I wasted almost 9 months trying not knowing that a post wash count of less then 2 mil was VERY bad and a waste. Also, clomid when you are over 38 can be very bad on lining, AND I was not diagnosed correctly. (I have PCOS and the RE couldn't tell???) Switched RE's and went right to IVF. best choice for me and my DH as we have both MF and my issues.
Do what feels right to you. Check your facts and weigh your options.
Hoping 6 is your lucky number!
Yes my RE also recommends 6 IUI attempts. According to statistics, chances get slimmer after the 6th. Although I've heard of someone getting pregnant on more than 6 tries. You should consider your age when deciding. Remember that chances get slimmer as you get older, so maybe your RE doesn't want to waste precious time or precious eggs. IVF really is the end point. But I'm praying you wouldn't have to do that and that IUI would be enough.
Our RE wanted us to do it naturally with just Clomid and follicle monitoring, but after 2 failed attempts, I suggested we go ahead with our first IUI. I wanted to take the shots but he said I was responding well with Clomid. So we've decided that the first 3 IUI would be under Clomid and the last 3 IUI with the shots.
Good luck! It's not over. Hang in there.
Congratulations on being cyst free! And I am glad you feel better - you sound like you're in a much better place.
As to your question, we skipped right to IVF with ICSI due to severe MFI, but my RE did suggest to me that if we didn't get pregnant after 4 IUIs, it might be time to move onto IVF.
But he also would have left it up to me- if the circumstances were different and IUI was a viable option for us, we probably could have done 50 of them and he'd have supported us.
I hope that you don't need to make the decision because THIS one is the cycle!
If it helps at all, mine said six was about all he'd recommend before considering moving on to IUI as well.
Sorry this is so frustrating for you. Maybe six is a lucky number! And Yea! No cysts! That's something to be very upbeat about.
Hi, Faith! So glad you are back and that you had a nice time. Do your dogs go nuts in the woods? Mine bark so loudly at any creature that dares enter our yard, I always think they would keep us and everyone in a 10 mile radius up all night if we took them camping! LOL.
CONGRATS on being cyst free! I have my suppression scan this afternoon and am hoping, hoping, hoping for the same.
My RE does not think it will be necessary to do IVF. He is determined that they can get me pg before it would come to that. Of course, now I am rounding on IUI #7. . . but they said the same as yours - they see women getting pregnant on later ones and that it's basically a numbers game for us (because they can't find any reason that we wouldn't be getting pregnant right and left).
Anyway, I'm praying for you, girl!!! {{hugs}}
My dr says after 6 we'll move on. BUT I think that if I wanted to try again, she'd let me.
I am just glad you are cyst free, and in the middle of the cycle.
I am thinking VERY GOOD THOUGHTS for you, your time is near, I know it.
Post a Comment
<< Home