Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

8weeks 4days

Met w/ an OB/GYN for the first time today. Wasn't too thrilled with him. He just seems like he didn't have much to say and wasn't concerned about anything. I have lost 5 pounds that I didn't have to lose (BMI is now lower than 18) and he didn't think it mattered. I have no idea why I've lost the weight when I'm eating more and haven't had that bad of morning sickness. I have a theory that it might be the thyroid medication revving up my metabolism or the fact that for some reason my heart rate has been really high lately. I usually have a heart rate in the low 60's and now it's in the mid 90's. The nurse said its from the blood volume increasing so rapidly w/ twins and it should go back to normal in a few months. Meanwhile I feel like I'm fast walking even when I'm sitting on the couch and I'm real shaky. I asked this doctor a hundred and one questions and basically got a lot of maybes, or it's not a big deal type answers. He also thinks the NT u/s is overkill and I that I don't need it. Not impressed. So-I'll be switching to a high risk OB/GYN ASAP that will take me seriously.

The best part of the appt was the u/s. I got to see my two babies. They have grown a lot and are measuring right on time. The heart beats are nice and strong. I was told my chance of miscarriage is less than 3% now. Maybe I'll be able to relax a little now and enjoy the pregnancy. I actually took Kleenex in my purse and went without mascara in case I got some bad news. Talk about a negative mind set!

The doctor and I talked with me fully clothed before the u/s and then he asked me if I was ready for the u/s so I of course said yes. He just stood there and handed me a sheet so I was confused. Why isn't he leaving so I can undress w/ privacy? I stood there for a minute thinking he'd leave or turn around.... but no he was just staring at me. So, finally I took off my pants and was about to pull down my panties when he said that I didn't need to get completely undressed. I asked him if it was a vaginal u/s and he said no. I had no idea we could do an abdominal u/s that early and be able to measure the heartbeats.

I'm been MIA some in blog land b/c of basically feeling like crud on most days and I had to travel back to the bay area for yet another IVIg infusion. Fun Fun... My natural killer cells were very elevated once again so it looks like I might be doing a few more of these. I hope to catch up on every ones blog this week.

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 3/20/2007 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! Your first external u/s! Isn't it amazing?

I'm so glad that all is well with both of your wee ones. And it's good that you are changing OBs ASAP if you aren't happy. I wish I had changed but by the time I was sure I wanted to, I felt like it was too late. So good for you for getting the care you need and want.

 
At 3/20/2007 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad all is well with the little ones!

I hope you new OB will be fabulous and answer all of your questions.

 
At 3/20/2007 3:17 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

RUN to a new OB! The NT scan is NOT overkill, it's pretty darn reliable, especially compared to the AFP when you have twins.

Glad to hear you're not feeling too sick these days. The increased HR and stuff does sound like your thyroid meds might need adjusting. Did they draw blood to check any of that at your appt?

I hope the NK cells chill out so you don't have to do too many more IVIg infusions.

Glad to see you back in blogland - hope to see you more regularly soon.

Did you get new pics of the babies??

 
At 3/20/2007 5:17 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Increased heart rate is also a sign of over-active thyroid (as well as weight loss). Can you get it checked just in case it's those meds and not expanding blood volume etc etc? It'd be nice for reassurance, if nothing else.

Bea

 
At 3/20/2007 6:23 PM, Blogger Watson said...

Faith,

That is such GREAT news! How wonderful to see the babies on the u/s (and honestly, how awesome to not have the internal probe!). I am so happy for you.

Run as fast as you can to another doctor, though, after the good care you received from Dr Z you deserve to have an OB you like and trust, who will listen to and respectfully answer all of your questions.

I hope we get to meet at an infusion, if I have another one after Thurs. I'll try to let you know when, that would be cool.

And yes, please do e-mail me about the transfer when you have time, your last e-mail about ER was a life-saver!!!

xoxo

 
At 3/20/2007 6:48 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

I'm glad the babies are doing well. I'm sorry you have to do more IVIg. I am very glad you are going to look for a different doctor. You should be thrilled with your doctor not feel like you aren't exactly being listened too. It does sound like you should get your thyroid checked, you shouldn't be shaky. I can buy that your heartrate would increase but that is a huge amount. Congratulations on moving up to belly ultrasounds!!! I worry when we don't hear from you!

 
At 3/20/2007 8:07 PM, Blogger K said...

Hurray for external ultrasounds! We are all hoping to scorn the wand someday, aren't we? LOL! I can only echo previous comments to say, run-don't-walk to a different OB/GYN who will partner with you to create a safe, calm, kind pregnancy journey. It's SOOO important to trust and feel comfortable that your doctor has your best interest in top of mind. There's no reason to stay with one who doesn't inspire your confidence. I have two friends who had AWFUl, AWFUL experiences with OBs they didn't like, but stayed with out of loyalty or geographical convenience. They both preach to everyone they know, not to be miserable when you don't have to!

Anyway, much love to the two little ones!!

K

 
At 3/21/2007 4:38 AM, Blogger Sara said...

An abdominal ultrasound? That's like the holy grail. Congratulations!

 
At 3/21/2007 8:04 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I definitely agree that you need a new OB. I mean, I think any of them are difficult to adjust to after you've been in the care of a specialist but you at least want someone that you feel like you can ask questions and get answers. Mine does kind of rush me through appointments a bit but she always makes the point to sit down in front of me and ask me what's on my mind, which I really appreciate. And, she's got 2 nurses just to answer phone calls, so that helps, too.
I was really glad that the NT was a "given" with her so hopefully you can find an OB with the same mindset. After all we've been through to get here, there is no such thing as overkill!!!!
Oh, and thanks for your comment on my blog : ) I wanted to pass along a couple of books I've been reading about twins that have been great:
Twinspiration by Cheryl Lange...it is very current and written by a mommy of twins so I plan to read this one over a few times!
Double Duty: The Parents Guide to Raising Twins, from Pregnancy through the School Years by Christina Baglivi Tinglof ...very good info but A LOT of it that we will need in the years to come so I'll be holding on to this one
The other book I am reading is not about twins specifically but it was recommended by another blogger; it's called The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Baby Sleep Longer by Harvey Karp. I have just glanced at this one but so far, so good!
I'll let you know if I come across any others : )

 
At 3/21/2007 8:04 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3/21/2007 8:41 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

I agree with the pp hon - run to get a new OB, one that will take you seriously. Particularly since you are pregnant with twins.

Really happy to hear that your little ones are doing well.

 
At 3/21/2007 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely find another OB! We IFs should be entitled to a whole different class of OBs. Don't stop until you find the one that you just KNOW is going to take the very best care of you and those little babies.
So happy for you Faith!
Carla

 
At 3/21/2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I'm glad you posted - I've been checking and hoping you were ok!

I haven't had an abdominal u/s yet - I thing my NT scan next week will be the first. I am very anxious to see them again!

Sorry your first OB sounds like a twit - definitely a good idea to switch.

 
At 3/21/2007 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am looking forward to my first "pants on" u/s!

I agree that the thyroid meds may have ramped you up a bit too much. Have you had your TSH checked since you've been on the thyroid meds? If he won't do the tests, check with your primary care dr. to do them - it's important not to let your thyroid get out of whack one direction or another, especially while pg. A racing heart and rapid weight loss are signs that your TSH might be too low (hyperthyroid).

GREAT NEWS that the babies are doing well - I'm so happy to hear that you didn't need your tissues!

 
At 3/21/2007 11:04 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

WOW - how exciting!! With those odds, it certainly sounds like it is time to relax. I am SO happy for you. And proud of you that you are switching doctors. I had a bad experience with a doctor and kept blaming myself until everyone I told woke me up to the fact that he was in the wrong. So, good for you for knowing that at the outset! I read your blog regularly and am really excited that your pregnancy with twins is going well.

 
At 3/22/2007 10:09 AM, Blogger Kir said...

so glad your little ones are doing well.

good luck with changing OBs, you and the twins only deserve the BEST care.

*hug*

 
At 3/22/2007 4:24 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

It's okay, Faith. I am just blog challenged/handicapped. I didn't know I didn't have my comments turned on. I just thought know one had anything to say.

Jaimie :)

 
At 3/22/2007 9:31 PM, Blogger JW said...

Congrats on your twins, thats wonderful news!

 
At 3/24/2007 12:27 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Ugh your OB sounds awful. Honestly, some doctors need a course in bedside and patient handling - how were you to know it was only an abdominal ultrasound? Get thee to a good OB asap!

So pleased to hear the babies are doing well, and how exciting you heard the heart beats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller