Egg retrieval ***Updated twice***
Egg retrieval went well. Dr. Z retrieved 21 eggs. I was shocked... I kept hoping I'd have 12 (a dozen) and that would make me happy. When he said 21 I couldn't believe it. I'm sure some of them are immature so we'll have to wait for the fertilization report to see what we're really working with but I'd say it's a good start. 15 were retrieved from the left ovary and 6 on the right. So my right ovary is definitely the over achiever. That is also the ovary that had the gigantic cyst that they aspirated. Interesting since I had the same amount of antral follicles on both ovaries. (about 10 on each) So I wonder why there was such a difference in how many they produced. Either way I'm pleased with how we're doing so far.
I didn't experience any bleeding and very little cramping. Some nausea and dizziness but that was most likely side effects from the anesthesia. I am on fluid restriction for 5 days. They want me to drink no more than one liter of Gatorade or Propel a day. No water allowed. Supposedly water goes straight to your abdominal area and causes more bloating and discomfort. I was starving after the retrieval and made J drive me to get a warm yummy sandwich and ice cream at Cold Stone. I'm going against my acupuncturist who says to avoid cold foods but I was craving it and felt I deserved it.
My Natural Killer Assay also came back much better. My NK cells were almost 1/4 of what they were a month ago. So the IVIg I had last week worked. I will not need another IVIg before transfer (YEAH!) but will have to do one with a positive beta.
We will be doing a 5 day transfer on Weds. J and I are going to drive up the day before and then come home after the transfer. Dr. Z said it was fine. I'll recline with a blanket and pillow and get into bed right when we get home. I plan to do a few days of bed rest and then some additional days of couch lounging/taking it easy.
They'll be calling me later today with my fertilization report so I'll update then.
***Update***
Just got the call. Out of 21 eggs, 17 were mature and 9 fertilized. I can't help but feel worried. I think it's great that 17 were mature but why did only 9 fertilize? Is there an egg quality issue or a sperm quality issue? Will they make it to day 5?...Dr. Z still wants to do a day 5 transfer.... Originally I was hoping for a dozen to start out with and I'd feel better about having 9 if I had started out w/12...but w/9 out of 17 it just seems like something might be wrong. The nurse didn't have any info for me and said I'll be able to talk to Dr Z the morning of the transfer. So- the worrying begins.
***Another Update***
I e-mailed a nurse my concerns and asked if we can have an update tomorrow. She said that 9 embryos is good and that Dr. Z feels 9 is plenty to go forward w/ a 5 day transfer. She said they don't do daily updates so I'll have to wait until before my transfer on Weds to talk to Dr. Z about the embryo quality.
Still worried.... ugh
Labels: IVF #1



24 Comments:
what awesome news!!!! 21 eggs is amazing!!!!
good job ovaries!!
Good job on those eggs.
Hmm- that's weird about the fluid restriction. I was always told to consume lots of fluids to help ward of OHSS- especially after a high egg producing cycle.
Looking forward to hearing the fert. report.
Awesome egg numbers. What a great surprise! Hoping for a good fert report today.
The fluid restriction is interesting- as Kris says, everything I've read about OHSS prevention is lots of fluids. But Dr. Z must know what he's doing!
Good news about the NK cells too. Hope you get to do the IVIg after a +++!
I'm glad you talked to Dr. Z about driving home after transfer - I think it will be just fine, but I can understand why you were concerned. We have so much riding on all of this!
YAY!
Congrats, what wonderful news! Your ovaries stepped up to the plate and came through for you.
Good luck on the fert. report and also for the transfer.
I'll be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts.
And I can't wait to hear all about it. Don't want to bug you, but maybe I'll call late next week after you're home??
xoxo
did you do ICSI? or natural fertilization?
9 is still a great number, I'm sure you'll do fine.
I've never heard that about the fluid restriction - in fact I've always heard the opposite - that if you're in danger of filling up with too much fluid then you should drink as much gatorade as you can hold, because there's something specific to gatorade that helps balance out the fluids. But, as everyone else says - I'm sure your doc has some experience here.
That was a lot of eggs! 9 is a great number. Don't beat yourself up about the eggs that didn't fertilize, there is nothing you can do. Besides 9 is good!!! I want to tell you to try not to worry, but that is useless. Instead, I will worry with you! Good luck.
The worrying *begins*? C'mon - you're not fooling anyone, you've been worrying before now.
As for your fert report - 9/17 is still within the normal range. Perhaps to the bottom of the normal range but still within it. You also have to be careful reading too much into a single round as these things can vary quite a bit from cycle to cycle for no apparent reason. *If* there has to be a next time, you might get 90% fert, who knows?
I say all this knowing you'll still be worried until the day this is all over and done with. That's ok.
Bea
Sounds very good to me.
I'm cheering you on from B.C.
As they say we only need ONE but your figures sounds good. You're in my prayers Faith.
Wow, Faith. 21 is great. I know you are worried about the 9 but you only need one!!
Either way, I'm saying a prayer for you!
{{hugs}}
Faith,
Try not to worry my sweet. I know that is easier said than done and if I was in front of you I might get slapped! But I just hate to hear that you worry. 9 fertilized! 9 little embryos growing in a dish...9 little possibilities...9 chances for a baby in your arms.
I will be checking in to see how things progress and praying for those 9 precious embryos.
I think your numbers look great- and if they have made it this far- you are doing great! I look forward to hearing the rest of the report and I wish you luck on transfer day!!
I just found your blog (and started one of my own) and wanted to congratulate you on 21 eggs! You must be thrilled! I'll be checking back hoping for continued good news.
9 fertilized eggs! these are great news! Especially if they are all good! And it is fantastic that you felt well after the surgery -- all I could do was drag myself to bed. Bonne chance with everything
Wow - that is a heck of a lot of eggs and a good fert result! I am so hoping your five day transfer brings you all the joy you've been working so hard for.
Fingers and everything crossed!
I think it is hard not to worry about anything less than 100%. We had 19 eggs and 8 fertalize so I understand your disappointment. Despite that, 9 is quite a few and I'm hoping that they can freeze a few for you as well as have a couple of perfect ones for transfer.
Just to make you feel better...
I had 26 eggs retrieved and 22 matured but only 10 fertilized...I thought that surely 10 out of 22 was not a good sign. But, out of those 10, 7 made it to 5-day transfer and, as you know, the 2 they put it worked just fine!!
Hope you are doing well and I look forward to your updates!
Good luck!
Faith - 9 is a great number! You should be very happy - take it easy this week and I will be praying for a smooth transfer on Wednesday!
That's great, Faith!
Good luck!
Sorry about all the stress!
I hope you get some good news tomorrow or Wed. from Dr. Z and that everything goes well with the transfer.
You're in my thoughts!!
xoxo
KTF (Keeping the Faith)--
Sounds like things are moving along well! 9 eggs is GREAT! I think the more they retrieve, the more likely some of the "mature" ones aren't strong or mature enough to fert. THat's a Yellowgirl-patented theory, by the way! But the 9 that did fert. should be just grand.... and a 5 day blast will shorten your 2ww even more! GL to you!
Yellowgirl (who only had 6 fert normally last time, which worked, so there you go...)
9 fertilized is a very good number - and I agree with a PP that said not to make too much out of the fertilization rate. One cycle = one data point, so you can't read too much into it.
I am so pleased that you have 9 to work with though, hon! Crossing fingers that all of them turn into wonderful healthy blastocysts. Keep us posted.
And hang in there. The waiting is the toughest part.
Sounds great to me! Good luck darling!
Post a Comment
<< Home