Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Cautiously Ecstatic

1st beta @ 10DP5DT- 582
2nd beta @ 12DP5DT- 1343

Doubling time of 40 hours.. Yeah! I'm definitely pregnant.

When the nurse called with the second beta she had a lot to go over with me. I found out that I"ll be having weekly HCG beta tests and progesterone draws until we see the heartbeat. After the heartbeat is seen we'll then just continue with the progesterone monitoring. We're still waiting for my first progesterone reading. It had to be sent out and the results should be back today. I decided to have my first u/s with Dr. Z (still need to find an OB/GYN). We set up the first u/s for March 11th. I'll be 7 weeks and 2 days at that point and a heartbeat should be seen.

When I had my last beta they also tested my TSH and found that it was elevated so they have now started me on Synthroid. I'll also be having another IVIg (infusion therapy) this week and will start Prednisone to help with my immune issues. So now my pregnancy protocol includes IVIg monthly for the 1st trimester, PIO until 10 weeks, progesterone suppositories until 12 weeks, Metformin until 12 weeks, Prednisone that starts out at a high dose and tapers down as the pregnancy continues, Synthroid, Folgard, Baby Aspirin until delivery and Lovenox injections, Calcium, and my prenatal through delivery and 2 weeks post delivery.

I was told no sex, no orgasms, no baths of any type, no lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds and no exercise (other than very casual walking) until after we see the heart beat. (seems very strict!)

I have to say that I'm really pleased w/ Dr. Z and his practice. They are very thorough and have looking into every aspect of my health to maximize our chances. I don't have one complaint. His staff is awesome and I don't think they could be more organized. They told me I need to find an OB/GYN so that they can mail them a folder of information they have put together that includes everything he or she will need to know about me.

At this point I feel relieved, excited and blessed. I also still have quite a bit of fear. I know there is a lot that can still go wrong. I think I'll start to feel better when I see the heartbeat. The nurse said my betas are great and that after we see a heartbeat(s) my chances of miscarriage will go down significantly. She also told me that at this point she thinks I should feel pretty good about having a viable pregnancy.

I have to say that I've thought a lot about my fellow cyclesistas and IF blogger friends in the last two days. I'm extremely excited to have quite a few ladies that will be pregnancy buddies. Hopeful Mother and I started blogging at the same time and I've followed her story from the beginning and am trilled that she's knocked up :-) But, I also think a lot about those that are still on this journey. I really had expected to be cycling again. I though you'd see my name on the April/May cyclesistas list for another IVF. And when I felt that way I felt so lonely and left behind b/c so many infertiles seem to have been lucky this month. Now I'm in that lucky category and I'm so sad for those of you hurting. I just want each of you to know that I'm sorry your experiencing such sorrow. I really hope you persist, and that your dream becomes a reality soon too.

Labels:

30 Comments:

At 2/20/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger soralis said...

Glad to hear that things are going well. Good luck!

 
At 2/20/2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

I love the title of this post. Cautious and estatic don't often go hand in hand - but totally apropo to the circumstances.

Faith, I am SO happy for you. I've been rooting for you since I started blogging for real - and I will be THRILLED to move you over to the "two pink lines" category on my blog! (My rule: when a heartbeat is seen.) :)

Thrilled and estatic and SO happy for you, hon.

 
At 2/20/2007 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, I can't stand it. I've been following along with your story since I found you (can't even remember where) and have kept you in my thoughts all this time. I think you are wise to stay cautious but to allow yourself to enjoy it too. Stay positive and enjoy your excuse not to vacuum!

 
At 2/20/2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Watson said...

PHEW!

What great news, and so wonderful to see that Beta rising just as it should.

It does seem like you're in very good hands with Dr. Z and his staff (which, of course, makes me happy too!).

Did they tell you the rationale for the things you need to avoid until that first U/S?

Wishing you all the best!

xoxo

 
At 2/20/2007 9:54 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Faith - I am so happy for you. That is a perfect doubling. Mine was about 40 hrs also.

Wow - they have you on a lot of stuff! I hope you can manage it all ok. I'm getting really weary of the PIO and estrogen patches that I'm on, and you've got so much more. But I guess it's all worth it.

To answer the question you left me - I actually started feeling some nausea before my first beta. That was the one pre-beta symptom I had that was different from all my other failed cycles. But for the first week+ it was just off and on. It's been constant, and pretty bad, for a little over a week now - so probably since about 5 or 5.5 weeks.

 
At 2/20/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger K said...

Faith - I've been following your story and silently cheering you on for some time now. My heart races whenever I read your good news. I go back and read your first post about your BFP over and over, bc it makes me feel so happy! Just wanted you to know how thrilled I am for you! Please continue posting with all the details, I'm totally living vicariously through you, and I keep checking back for a fix! - K

 
At 2/20/2007 10:32 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

You are PREGNANT girl! I am so excited for you, still! I hope we can be pregancy buddies - I'll find out in a week ;)

We also had to abstain from a lot of stuff the first few weeks, it was due to a case of mild OHSS - since the ovaries are so large, they can easily twist, etc, so they like you to just take it easy... Don't know if that was maybe an issue for you?

 
At 2/20/2007 10:56 AM, Blogger Kir said...

so happy for you, OMG this is just wonderful news. I love the title of the post, am estatic for you too.
*Yipee*

 
At 2/20/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger JJ said...

Wonderful wonderful news! Congrats! I am glad it is going SO well. Go little heartbeat go!=)

 
At 2/20/2007 11:47 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Wow! They are pretty strict!! I was worried about the whole sex/orgasm thing so we waited until 6 weeks for that (sorry, TMI)...poor hubbies!!!
Your numbers are excellent; I was just looking back at mine but I only had 2 betas and they were done a week apart. I am so curious to see if you've got 1 or 2 in there!!
Congrats a hundred times over!!!

 
At 2/20/2007 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cautiously ecstatic is the name of the game, indeed. I think we don't get enough opportunities on this journey to actually be happy, so we should take full advantage.

I am THRILLED for you and all of our fellow pg buddies this month. But, I feel the same way about those "left behind" because I know all too well what that feels like. I really thought I would be in the Apr. CycleSista list again too.

It would be so wonderful if everyone who was struggling with IF could have our luck. I will keep hoping for everyone!

 
At 2/20/2007 3:05 PM, Blogger Runergirl said...

I am telling you we are pregnancy sisters. I had to take prednisone when I was pregnant with my son. If you don't mind, my husband and I are thinking aboiut trying the whole IVF thing agsain with a doctor we love in Chicago and I would love if you could chronocal all the things that the new doctor did for you. Here is my e-mail if you feel like humoring me:) runn55@hotmail.com. I just feel like your new doctor knew his stuff and I want to be prepared when it omes to a new cycle.

Betas look awesome! Could it be twins?

 
At 2/20/2007 3:45 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

That is just the best news I've heard in a while. Those beta numbers look great!!!

 
At 2/20/2007 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy your beta is doubling so well! It sounds like Dr. Z is fantastic and is going to nip any problem before it can even start.

 
At 2/20/2007 3:53 PM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your hubby. Great news.

I am wishing you well.

~Debbie

 
At 2/20/2007 4:21 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Oh Faith this is so wonderful! I am so happy for you! All the medical torture you have had to/continue to go through will make the end result even sweeter. You poor thing, I hope you don't run out of blood! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to hear about your ultrasound.

 
At 2/20/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger JW said...

Congratulations Faith!!!!!

Great betas! Have a wonderful pregnancy!

 
At 2/20/2007 7:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

This is all so exciting! I am so happy for you!

 
At 2/20/2007 11:26 PM, Blogger Bea said...

That's pretty strict - but I know you'd do all of that and more just to keep that beta doing what it should be doing.

Sounds really good so far!

Bea

 
At 2/21/2007 8:03 AM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

Wooohooo! It's really happening Faith. Embrace it and love it! :-)
We may still be on the monthly list but we're here with our all out support for lucky successful cyclesistas like you!
Praying for a safe pregnancy for you.

 
At 2/21/2007 3:44 PM, Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

Congratulations on being definitely pregnant!

Take it easy, enjoy the excuse to avoid exercise until you hear the HB!

 
At 2/21/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Followed the link over here from Watson...congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!

 
At 2/21/2007 11:41 PM, Blogger Warner Stander said...

Wonderful News! I hope you have a beautiful, wonderful pregnancy!

 
At 2/22/2007 5:48 AM, Blogger Sami said...

Woohoo! So very happy for you guys!

 
At 2/22/2007 5:10 PM, Blogger M said...

congratulations! So many positive IVFs this month! :)

 
At 2/22/2007 6:46 PM, Blogger Runergirl said...

Thanks faith! No rush! Again, it just seems like this DR. knew what he was doing...OBVIOUSLY:)

 
At 2/23/2007 6:47 AM, Blogger x said...

Congratulations! They took away my blog access at work so I'm a little slow in getting caught up. I am so happy to see this good news from you. It does sound like your doctor is very careful but that is never a bad thing. All the best!

 
At 2/23/2007 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, just came for a visit from cyclesista. Good luck!

 
At 2/24/2007 10:18 PM, Blogger K said...

Faith - thanks for your comment on my blog! It is amazing how good it feels to know that you have a cheering section! And yes, in answer to your question, I am indeed on the lovely Metformin for the PCOS. Blech! I know it's helping me, but after being on it for almost 8 months now, I still have yucky stomach issues every now and then. Hope you are feeling well and enjoying your pregnancy so far! - K

 
At 2/26/2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I just realized I never answered your question in your comment on my blog!
I am originally from Houston but now live in Fulshear, which is south of Katy. Prior to that, I lived in Pearland for 6 years. So, I've been everywhere but north of Houston but I am very familiar with The Woodlands...great mall there!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller