Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, March 26, 2007

A few things:

First: I'll be having my husband who has never drawn blood, draw my blood. I have to have my natural killer cells tested every 3-4 weeks so they can determine how well the IVIg infusions are working and when I need another one. Dr. Z wants the test done in a special lab out of Chicago. That means I have to find a lab that will draw the blood and ship it for me or give it to me to ship. I have literally called every lab within an hour radius and no one... I mean no one is willing to do that. And when I say no one, trust me on this...I've called, I've asked, I've begged...no luck. I guess it's a liability thing or something. The local hospital used to ship blood for you but stopped doing it last year. So I have had to drive over 3 hours each way to have my stupid blood drawn at Dr. Z's or at the infusion center. I done this numerous times and I'm beyond sick of the drive. So... since my husband is so wonderful at all of the shots including the dreadful PIO shots I thought it would be reasonable to consider him as a blood sucker lab attendant. It's just a needle like the shots but instead of inserting medicine you’re taking out some blood. Big deal right? Okay- so J is freaking out and sure he'll seriously damage me in someway. I'm actually not nervous at all. I figure the worst that can happen, will be blood spurting all over the place. Dr. Z sent me all of the supplies so that we can do it on our own and we will be doing this in two weeks. Wish us luck. I have considered knocking on one of my neighbors doors (she's a nurse) and asking her to do it. I've met her once so it might be awkward. I've also considered bribing an actual lab attendant to meet me in the back alley for $20 to take my blood. What would you do? I am NOT driving over 6 hours total for a few vials of blood... I'll do it myself if I have to. I think J should get a special credential after this.

Second: I have a few neighbors that have wanted to be friends. I've written about them before...it's been a while though. They both have babies. They are both annoying and drive me crazy. One in particular… who I call smoker chick...b/c she smoked through all 3 of her pregnancies makes me hide in my house. A few past examples of smoker chick are when she sobbed to me about how devestated she was her last baby ended up as a girl. BOO HOO!!! She also told me she doesn’t have to jog like I do b/c she's naturally skinny... (Since the only reason one must jog is too lose weight ...not b/c they enjoy it or just want to be healthy) and that she has always gone home from the hospital in her pre-pregnancy size 2 jeans. UGH!!!! How I want to tell her that I’m the one that is naturally skinny since I don’t puff on a cigarette every 5 mins or smoke crack… Okay- now I’m just being mean. Anyways, I peek through the windows before working in the front yard. If she's out there I wait until she's gone. She the one that asks every time she sees me if I'm still trying, if I'm pregnant, etc.... ugh!!!! She's never heard of the word subtle. In fact last week she saw me and came over...and asked where I've been since she hasn't seen me. She then proceeded to ask one again if we were still trying... I couldn't stand it and before thinking I blurted out that yes, in fact I was expecting. I regretted it immediately b/c I didn't plan to tell anyone except some family before 3 months. Anyway- too late...she knows and soon the whole neighborhood will know. So we were talking and she starts going into detail about her pregnancies. She tells me....( shitting you not)...that she induced all three of her pregnancies at 36 or 37 weeks by drinking a cup of castor oil and rolling around on the floor. I'm sure my mouth dropped open. She quickly went on to say that many women do this when they feel ready. She later added that if I'd like any advice to come over and she'd be happy to share.

Third: Know how I mentioned in my last post that I felt like I was on speed. I had a really fast heart rate, I was shaky and I was losing weight. Well- almost all of you were right. My thyroid crashed. As in went to almost zero. So I'm now off all of my thyroid medication temporarily and will have my TSH tested every 2 weeks. Somehow we need to keep my level near 2. I had a level close to 5 at the beginning of my pregnancy. I was put on 100mcg of Synthroid and obviously that was way too much. I'm starting to feel a little better but still feel the racing heart beat and I get winded without doing anything.

Fourth: My next u/s is in two weeks from tomorrow (April 10th) and I'll be having my NT test on April 23rd. My NT scan will be with a high risk OB/GYN. This will be the doctor I'm switching to. He doesn't see anyone during their 1st trimester so I'll go exclusively to him after the NT scan. I really hope I like him or I'll be back to square one. He's supposed to be really good. People travel quite a ways to see him. He has handled many triplets, several sets of quads and two cases of quints. He has pregnant patients that have lupus, cancer and other serious conditions. He's also a neonatal guy so he can be there if there is a problem after the baby is born. Hopefully I'll be his easiest case ever and it'll just be nice to know he can handle anything, should it pop up.

and that’s all folks....

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 3/27/2007 2:27 AM, Blogger Warner Stander said...

Wow, that neighbour sounds like a gem! Not LOL!!

 
At 3/27/2007 4:43 AM, Blogger Mandy said...

I have two words for your neighbour: PSYCHO. BITCH.

Your doc seems really capable, what with all those multiples that he's dealt with, it must be a real comfort.

Good luck with the u/s.

 
At 3/27/2007 6:03 AM, Blogger Mom 2 six said...

Oh my what a crazy lady !
Trust me -ask the nurse to help you guys out.
Speaking as a nurse I would help you in a flash !!

 
At 3/27/2007 7:39 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

What I just can't process is that someone actually had sex with that neighbor at least 3 times. It boggles the mind!

Glad that you figured out what was going on with your thyroid!

And, hey, I wouldn't worry too much about your neighbor spreading the news. Chances are others are hiding in their homes from her, too.

 
At 3/27/2007 7:48 AM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Your poor husband! That is really love. I think my husband would pass out first. It surprises me that the doctor's office couldn't help you make arrangements with a lab or office where they do draws. It is ridiculous to have to drive so far just for a couple of vials of blood so often.

Oh my, what a neighbor. It sounds like she has burned up a few too many of her brain cells. God, I hope her kids are okay to start with before she raises them.

I hope you get your thyroid situation figured out soon. That has to feel miserable. It is terrible trying to figure out what is going on with your body when it seems as though you have no control.

 
At 3/27/2007 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't let this go--- NO ONE will draw your blood? I've had luck 2 places (1) my Gyn, who has an in-house blood draw person. I didn't ask... just showed up with the vials, and they were cool (enough) with it; (2) an Urgent Care place-- same thing... I just showed up with my vials, and said I'd be taking them with me...... can you check them out? The idea of MY DH drawing my blood (then again he's squeamish) is horrible... I hope your DH is better, but just some places to consider if you haven't already..... Again, just *show up* with vials in tow and any instructions, don't ask ahead, and they'll probably do it to make you go away, you know??? Okay, end of a@@vice here..........

Smoker chix? I'm shivering just thinking about her.............

Yellowgirl

 
At 3/27/2007 8:43 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I think asking your nurse neighbor is a great idea...not that your husband couldn't handle it but if you've got that resource right there, you should take advantage of it and I'm sure she'd be glad to help.Maybe you could just go over and act like you are asking for advice from her as to where else you could go and then hopefully she'll just offer. Worth a try!
Aren't neighbors fun!! We moved with hopes of getting away from nosy neighbors since the lots are much larger, however, we have since found that we live next door to the neighborhood know-it-all. Fortunately, she is very nice and has been a great resource to us so far but I just feel like we are always being watched. And we can't go outside for a length of time without having to chat with them, which is kind of annoying.
But...castor oil and rolling around on the floor?!?!?! That's just crazy!!

 
At 3/27/2007 10:48 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

we have a nurse that comes into our office to take blood from my boss on occassion. I think he pays her like $20 or something like that... I am sure that your neighbor would be happy to help you, if you asked! Good luck!

 
At 3/27/2007 1:39 PM, Blogger Watson said...

Good grief, both you and your husband are beyond brave!

But we do what we have to, right? That drive is simply not possible for you on a regular basis, so I understand the need to come up with something.

Do you know if you need another IVIG or is it dependent on the bloodwork? Thanks so much for the info, it helped me prepare for it and taking the Tylenol before was genius!!

 
At 3/27/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger ellie said...

Well since hubs turns green while doing the PIOs, I used my amazing neighbor who is a nurse-- and asking your neighbor to help out isn't a bad idea--but you both need to be comfortable with it. Worst she can say is no.

Yup, I have been fairly quiet lately. Just haven't really felt up to posting much- to be honest I just don't know what to say- I still feel a bit like the wind has been kicked out of me. I'll be back online soon- I just need alittle more time. But thanks for checking in with me- I appreciate it.

 
At 3/27/2007 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think asking the nurse is a great idea...

Your neighbor sounds wacky... but like a PP said, your other neighbors are probably hiding from her too. :-)

I'm glad they caught the thyroid issue - just to clarify - your TSH being high is hypothyroid (slow) and really low is hyperthyroid (fast) - so your thyroid didn't crash - it was more like speeding! I hope that being off the meds for a bit will normalize it. I am on 75mcg (have been for several years) and just had my TSH tested... strangely, one test showed 2.45 and one was 0.71! I'm supposed to be tested again in the 2nd trimester.

Looking forward to reading about your next u/s! Great that you found a new doc!

 
At 3/28/2007 9:21 AM, Blogger Sami said...

My 2 cents - ask the neighbor nurse... Putting hubs on the spot for a blood draw while it looks easy - "a monkey can do it" it's sometimes not that simple. It's also not the same as jabbing your muscle with the PIO. I could talk my husband through it, but I'd have to identify the vein, tell him what to do etc - so ask someone that does it or at least knows all the particulars. For your safety and his sanity.

Good luck with the new doc I have my fingers crossed that he's not a knob. As for the neighbor ick.

Oh yes and if I lived near you I'd help as well as I'm a nurse.

 
At 3/28/2007 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would find a way to somehow slice myself to get blood out before I ever let my husband take blood from me. Good luck with that one!

 
At 3/29/2007 9:10 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Hi Faith,

Congratulations on the twins. I bet you are just over the moon with happiness. You have been through so much and have been so determined and I'm so happy this is working out for you and your husband. I hope the next 30 weeks fly by!

 
At 3/30/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Could you ask the neighbor nurse and offer to pay her for drawing your blood?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller