2nd Trimester
I'm finally over 13 weeks now... Officially in my 2nd trimester right? So... when do I start feeling better?
Today I will be having my IVIg infusion done at home. I spent all week working/fighting/arguing/pulling my hair out/going back and forth with several home health agencies on getting this started so I won't have to drive 6+ hours round trip to have an infusion. The biggest problem is that I didn't have a very large window of time. I had to call and say I needed this yesterday. In fact I'm really lucky and blessed that it worked out b/c I would have had to give up and do the drive again if they hadn't organized everything by today. My natural killer cells are too high and Dr. Z didn't want me to wait. This will be my 5th or 6th infusion. I can't even keep track now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes at home. Usually the infusions take 3-4 hours so it'll be nice to be in the comfort of my own home.
I have my NT scan on Monday with my new doctor (Dr. H). The one I've never met but he will be taking over my case. He's supposed to be the best high risk OB/GYN in the area so hopefully my scan goes well and I like him. I'm a little nervous. I suppose that's normal. Just really wanting everything to be okay. I feel like this will be a big milestone.
I checked out 5 books from the library on twins... They just make me turn from excited to scared shitless. Basically each one tries to enforce as strongly as possible how difficult life is about to become.....how much can go wrong..... and how you had better have a lot of support nearby (which we don't). J and I are pretty much on our own and we're moving again so the few people I've met since we've lived here won't be available to help. My Mom will come visit for a few days here and there but we'll be pretty much new parents w/ no experience and no nearby friends or family, praying for insight and good instincts. I find it interesting that I know everything there is to know about getting pregnant...you mention a topic related to infertility and I'm up on it. I could write a book, guide you and feel very secure doing so. All I've done for the last 3 years is think about how to get knocked up. I never gave any thought to what happens when it finally happens. Honestly- raising twin babies...I'm clueless. And having teaching experience doesn't help at all either. I've taught mostly 4th and 5th grade. I haven't babysat since high school and even then it wasn't very often. Do any of you feel this way? Am I the only one that feels utterly overwhelmed at times? I'm hoping this is a normal emotion. There is nothing I want more that these babies. I just hope I do a good job.
Labels: 2nd Trimester



17 Comments:
I feel exactly the same way. I am completely scared. We don't have much support nearby either so it will be pretty much just us - I have friends nearby but I doubt they will come over to help too much.
good luck with the NT scan!
Congratulations on starting the second trimester!
Caring for twins? You kind of just do it :-) I'm sure you'll do fine!
As you know, I have no experience as a mom to offer, let alone as a mom of twins....but every mother i've ever talked to has said that they felt exactly the same way - scared shitless - at the prospect of bringing home baby on that glorious day. "what in the world am i supposed to do now? will these instincts just suddenly come to me?" I think it's a very common thing to struggle with. i have 2 good friends who are single moms - they both chose to be inseminated with donor sperm and raise have children on their own - and they have both said that the telephone was their lifeline to good advice, to their mothers, their friends with kids, to the doctor when necessary. I think the bottom line is probably just what rachel says above, you just kind of do it!
But then again, what do I know? I'm just a mere infertile!!
Congrats on the second trimester!
You will figure it all out. You will know jut as much about how to care for the little people residing in your belly as you do about infertility. It won't take long!
Not that you need it, but good luck with your scan. I can't wait to see some pictures!
I'm sorry to hear you have to move. I'm sorry you have to have that added stress. It is part of pregnancy to have feelings of being overwhelmed at doubt about your abilities. I can only imagine that they would be increased with a multiple pregnancy. My doctor says these feelings are bad late in the first trimester/beginning of the 2nd and then worst during the third trimester toward the end, but let up in the other times. I have found that to be true. Or maybe he is only telling me when I can worry since he knows I do.
Is there a twin/multiple support group where you will be living? I know when my sister had her first baby the hospital had information on "play" groups where they basically put in contact moms that all had babies around the same time. There wasn't much play going on with six week olds but my sister found a ton of emotional support at least with the other moms. I think she stayed with that group for more than two years.
Hang in there!!
Congrats on trimester 2!
We are at home with our 2.5 week old twins now. .. it's tough, no doubt about it ... but you'll figure it out. We have family stop by to help out for a few hours, but no one living here. It's just be and DH. and he's going back to work next week. It's hard, we are tired, but the babies are thriving, and trust me, you figure it out!
definitely email me if you have any questions, and i'll tell you how it's going for us!
From the few parents I know that have multiplesm, they tell me that you quickly learn how to manage. My friend has triplets and then a fourth child (five and four respectively), and she insists that it is a bit crazy but you adjust. Since you are such a caring and thoughtful person, I know that you will do fine!!
It just hit us this past weekend that time is really, really flying and soon enough, it's not just going to be the two of us anymore. I am so, so scared, too, because I just don't do well with change but I just keep reminding myself that we have been so blessed and that God wanted us to have these children. Oh, and watching all the shows on Discovery Health and TLC about the familes with like 3 sets of twin and a set of quads really helps, too! I am acknowledging the fact that it's going to be hard and it's going to be scary but we will do it, whatever it takes.
I agree with Jaimie about finding the multiples group. I just found two "moms of multiples" groups in my area and am going to try and get myself to one of their meetings soon. I'm not so great at meeting new people but I figure this will be worth it and help calm my nerves.
All the best; can't wait to hear about the scan and see some pics!!
I know there are also on-line mothers of multiples groups you can check out to learn more. I've started reading baby care type books too, which helps with the freak-out.... there are about half-dozen "sleep" books, spanning the different sleep theories... I figure if I can figure out how to get the little one to sleep, I can figure out the rest later!
Yellowgirl
I hope your NT scan went well today with the new doc.
I know how you feel about freaking out about parenting... but we will be fine. We will figure it out, as we go, as mothers many generations before us have done. You're gonna be a great mom!
Yay for home infusions!!!
See if you can find a MOMS Club (momsclub.org) chapter near you and get involved with them, they can be a great resource, assuming you get along with the ladies. Not only will they have done the whole baby thing before, but you might even find someone to help you in a bind which would be so useful.
Congrats on the 2nd tri too, I hope you start feeling the energy rebound and less ickiness very soon. You're due!
As for the scared shitless thing, I was more blissfully ignorant with my first one, now that I know first hand what to expect, I'm a lot more scared this time, that's for sure!
Can't waitto hear how the NT scan went and I hope you love your new Doc.
Congrats on crossing that threshold and getting to the 2nd trimester!
And honestly, after what you've been through I have NO doubt you'll figure everything out.
But saying that, I can totally relate to that 'HOLY CRAP-TWINS?!?' feeling though. But I'm working on the premise that ignorance is bliss, since I don't know what having one baby is like, I won't know for sure that having two is twice as hard.
I know, sounds ridiculous. But whatever gets through, right?
I know it seems so overwhelming, and especially if you don't have a good support network in place. Would there be a playgroup/support group for moms of multiples where you're moving? I've heard that can be so helpful.
And although I'm several weeks behind, we'll support each other and share horror stories as well as celebrate the amazingly sweet times as well!
xoxo
Wow time flies! Praying for a smooth healthy second trimester for you and the twins.
I am a mom of 5 year old twins and it is very hard the first 3 months. My best advice is to take up those offers from neighbors, church members, etc to help... don't feel like you have to do it all. Also, look into a local twins group, I found this one....
http://twins.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/carmichael/
http://www.geocities.com/iomotc/twinlinks.htm
There is a twins magazine and so much information out there. You just have to know where to look. I belong to a multiple group in illinois and it has been a blessing. Good luck faith, email me if you'd like.
~jen
mjw699 @ yahoo. com no spaces
Faith you would think my MIL would be more excited about the baby and carry on about it more. This is her first and the way things are going, might be the only grandchild. I know she is disappointed that it is a boy, but oh well. They have been pestering us to get married and give them grandkids for a long time (years). They are the only people in their peer circle that currently don't have grandkids and I guess their friends give them a hard time about it.
Congrats on the twins. i found your blog through my sister's (seattlegal) and am very glad to here that you are pregnant!! good luck with your twins and enjoy every minute of it!!
Yes - I have felt the same way. Some days I am very confident, other days I think we are in too deep and have no idea what we're doing. I'm sure we'll both do just fine when the time comes.
Post a Comment
<< Home