Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, March 30, 2007

Seeing Red *UPDATED!

Blood- lots of bright red blood w/ clots.

When: 7am Thurs morning- I woke up and went to urinate. As I went to flush I saw that the toilet bowl was full of red blood and small clots. My heart dropped to the floor. I called the doctor on call at the local OB/GYN clinic. He called back and told me to come in at 1pm for an u/s.

When: 1pm Thurs afternoon...had an u/s that showed two babies with strong heartbeats measuring two days ahead (10 weeks 1 day). Placenta looked good. My cervix was nice and closed and there was no trace of blood to be found.

When: All day- had no more blood. Not a drop. My best friend was the bathroom where I checked my vaginal canal every 20mins for blood.

When: 5am FRI morning (almost 24 hours since 1st incident)...went to the bathroom upon waking up and wiped first to see if there was any blood...I always go into the vaginal canal a little and there was nothing...just white cervical mucus. I started to urinate slowly and watched as huge 2-3 inch clots came out of my urethra...About six of them total and then I proceeded to urinate bright red blood. not pinkish or tinted but what looked like blood shooting out of my urethra. When I was done urinating I checked my vaginal canal again and it was clean w/ just white cervical mucus. I proceeded to scream at J to look, run around looking for my cell phone to call the on-call Dr and e-mail Dr. Z all at the same time. The on-call doctor at the local OB/GYN told me it was most likely a urinary infection and ordered some antibiotics for me to take for a week. He said it's most likely from the blood thinners I'm on, the increased blood volume due to pregnancy and an infection in the urinary tract. I've never had a urinary tract/bladder infection and I thought you had difficulty urinating and it burned which are not symptoms I have. The doctor said you don't always have those symptoms. Dr. Z also called me and suggested I follow this doctors advice and that he thought antibiotics was an appropriate course of action. Dr. Z also said the babies should not be affected by this at all! Thank you God!!!! So I have now taken my first antibiotic (Macrobid) which is safe for pregnancy and doesn't contain Sulfur (severely allergic to this) or Penicillin (get hives with this). I'll be on this for 7 days and hopefully I will stop seeing red in a day or two, since I've now urinated 4 times this morning and it's all been red with large clots. One of my fears if having an obstruction in my urethra b/c of a clot and needing surgery or something. I'm also scared that it could be something else and we won't know it until a few days down the line when we see if this medication works or not. I am thinking its not a kidney problem or I'd be in a lot of pain.

When-NOW! any one out there experience anything like this or know of anyone that went through something like this? Please share. I'm scared, although very relieved that it's not vaginal blood.

Quick Update- Was just told by Dr. Z to stop my blood thinners (Lovenox) and baby aspirin for 48 hours.
----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED!!!

Around 3pm on Friday I started to feel an ache in my lower back on the left side. This ache turned into full blown pain within two hours. It was excruciating... I had to call one of my best friends to take me to the emergency room. I felt like I was dying... the pain was miserable. I couldn't stop shaking or throwing up. Once at the emergency room they got me in pretty quickly and took my vitals. J arrived shortly after I arrived. My blood pressure was 155/115 when I'm almost always around 90/65. My pulse was 103 and I had a fever of 101. They immediately suspected a kidney stone and they were right. They did an u/s (saw my babies and they looked great thank goodness) and found that I had a blockage in my kidney so the urine was getting backed up and they said I had a kidney stone that was 3mm...maybe a little smaller. They were hopeful it would pass on its own. I was given a small dose of morphine which eased the pain a little. This also helped bring down my fever and blood pressure which was basically caused by the state I was in. Unfortunately pain killers and I don't get along so I was throwing up even more.

Finally I was released to pass my kidney stone at home. They said it could take anywhere from 24 hours to several days...even up to a week. They said to come back if it hadn't passed by Monday. I couldn't imagine feeling like this for so long. I was given some vicodin and sent on my way....throwing up on my way out.

Friday night was the longest night of my life. I was up all night in horrible pain. It just wouldn't let up. I couldn't keep anything down. I would suck on a few ice chips and even that wouldn't stay down. I would dry heave over and over. I tried to take my antibiotic b/c I didn't want this turning into a kidney infection and I couldn't keep that down. Finally at 7am on Sat we called the on-call doctor and told him that I hadn't kept any fluids down in 12 hours and I also therefore couldn't keep down any painkillers or the antibiotics. This concerned the doctor greatly so he said we could try some suppositories for the nausea and see if that helped. He said if that didn't work right away that I'd have to be admitted to the hospital. He said it was vital that I get fluids down and manage the pain with the pain killers.

J left to the pick up the prescription and I started to feel this intense pressure and pain in the lower female region. (J read later that this is what it feels like when the kidney stone drops into the bladder) After that I never felt the intense pain again. It was gone. My side was really sore and still is... feels like it should be all bruised up. I was still nauseous but it was easing up and I felt much better after I used the suppository. I was able to get some ice chips down and even a piece of toast after a few hours. Eventually I was able to eat a little more and drink a little water.

It is now Sunday I feel almost human again. I am so very grateful that it is over and didn't last longer than it did. (I'm also hoping that I'm not speaking too soon and that it isn't over and the pain will start up again!!!!) I'm so thankful I didn't have to go back and be admitted to the hospital. The bleeding is lessening and I'm praying I never go through this again.

And my babies are fine and there is nothing more important than that. Although it would be nice if my health could stay intact.


Labels: ,

27 Comments:

At 3/30/2007 9:29 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

Oh no Faith - how scary... I am glad your babies are ok, but peeing blood is NOT a comforting sign.

May the meds take care of it right away - STAT.

*hug*

xxx

 
At 3/30/2007 9:58 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Wow! I have never heard of that! How scary!

Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of it. I guess it might make sense that the blood thinning stuff you're on could affect it. Hang in there.

 
At 3/30/2007 10:16 AM, Blogger seattlegal said...

That is really scary!

Hopefully, the antibiotics will take care of it, like carol said. Take care!

 
At 3/30/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

I literally GASPED when I read the beginning of your post. You must have been frantic - and I can see why you are still so nervous. Sounds like the medication changes will take care of things. When I step back for a moment and catch my breath, I realize that it makes sense that women would get infections like that when pregnant since pregnancy messes so much with your hormones - add on the blood thinner, and it makes even more sense. And I bet millions of women take that antibiotic for the same reason while pregnant.

Wishing you back to 100% good health ASAP.

 
At 3/30/2007 1:41 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I don't know anything and wish I could offer you something to make you feel better. I'm here thinking about you. Oh, have you ever been to this woman's blog:
http://barefootand.blogspot.com/

She just had twins and she had lots of bleeding all the way through at least to her 15th week. Her babies are fine and healthy.

It does happen. It can be normal but still very very scary and I'm so sorry you have to have anything upsetting happen at all. There's another woman's blog who just had triplets and she had lots of bleeding but her babies are fine too. I can't find her blog now. She might have changed the name of it but I'll keep looking and let you know the name of it if I find it.

I'll be checking in and thinking of you.

 
At 3/30/2007 2:02 PM, Blogger Watson said...

OMG, how scary, I'm so sorry!

I have actually had several very weird instances of UTI/kidney infection/uretha irritation that basically caused me to pee blood.

I wasn't pregnant and it STILL scared the absolute bejeezus out of me.

When I had a UTI years ago, I definitely felt the burning and had to pee every 5 seconds.

But with the infection and/or irritation (they could never tell!) it didn't hurt, I just felt a full bladder frequently and when I peed there was blood. (I actually took Macrobid too!).

So, I'm glad to hear the scan went well. I think your dr. and dr. Z are on the right track.

I know it's impossible to relax with those two beautiful babies inside you, but try and give it another day. With an infection, you should see an improvement asap with the anti biotics.

Call me this weekend if you get nervous!

xoxo,

Watson

 
At 3/30/2007 2:45 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh my gosh...that is so scary...I can only imagine what you must have felt like when you saw the blood. Are the clots painful??? Thank God the babies are okay (even better than okay, it sounds!). Whew. What a scare but glad you know the cause.
Hope it's gone soon!!!

 
At 3/30/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Oh honey, how awful! Now I must say the very first thing I thought when you said there was blood in the toilet was a UTI. Then I became panic stricken about the babies. I'm so glad the babies are okay.

During pregnancy, we are way more prone to UTI's, especially asymptomatic ones. I made the doctor check me last week because I keep feeling like I had to go but there wasn't anything there. Your right, you do usually have a lot of back pain and usually a fever with kidney problems. I have never had to bring anyone to surgery for the reason that thier urethra was obstructed by blood clots. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I have been at my job for almost eight years. I know the urologits do exams in their office. I know that they numb the urethra with lidocaine jelly and use some dialators to stretch the urethra and put a scope in and look around. But I don't know specifically of clots causing obstructions.

Hopefully this will clear up very quickly for you. It sounds like you have everything under control but keep us informed, because I will be worrying about you guys!

 
At 3/30/2007 5:09 PM, Blogger Caba said...

What a scary experience! I didn't have any blood, but I've had 2 UTIs during my current twin pregnancy, taking Macrobid for both. And I thought it was weird how I didn't get any of the normal symptoms you associate with UTI (pain or constant need to go or burning or anything really). I'm sure in combo with the meds that's all it is, but I can't imagine how you must have felt waiting for the ultrasound.

Best of luck!

 
At 3/30/2007 6:42 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I want to first congratulate you on your pregnancy. I found your blog shortly before your retrieval and was so happy to see such a wonderful outcome for you.

I don't comment on blogs much but I thought I would chime in on this one because something very similar happened to me during and after my first pregnancy. I had lots of blood in my urine but no symptoms of a urinary tract infection. Like you I was just put on antibiotics but I was never actually tested for a UTI. About a week later I had terrible back and flank pain and we rushed to the hospital. It turns out that I had kidney stones. They are actually quite common during pregnancy (although usually a bit later in the pregnancy - I was 26 weeks at the time). I ended up having surgery a few days later to remove the stone. I had the same problem after delivery since I had developed multiple kidney stones. I had huge clots of blood and there were times that it made it difficult to urinate. They never caused a true obstruction but it was quite scary.

I assume that they actually tested you for a urinary tract infection so this probably doesn't apply but I thought I would share my story anyway.

Hope you feel better soon. That must have been quite a scare.

 
At 3/30/2007 8:53 PM, Blogger K said...

Jesus Lord Almighty above, my heart is still pounding from reading your post. It scared me half to death, so I can scarcely imagine what hell you were going through waiting for that ultrasound. I have absolutely no helpful information to share, but just wanted to comment to say that I'm overjoyed to know that the babies are OK, and that I hope this medicine has you hearty and whole in no time! Keep us posted!!

 
At 3/31/2007 12:54 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I also gasped when I red the beginning of this post. How scary. I'm so glad your babies are still snug and safe inside.

 
At 4/01/2007 9:22 AM, Blogger Nickie said...

Holy crap girl! Just reading about it scared me, I can't imagine the adrenaline rush you must have had. Thank goodness it's not from the vagina!

I hope the meds clear it up asap and I think it's good to stop the thinners for a couple of days, but know that they don't stop working instantly. The first cycle I took BA, I had a cyst and used hCG to trigger it to go away. Well, AF showed up early and man it was horrid. Soaking thru the biggest tampons OB makes in 2-3 hrs. I'm sure you'd have much much milder symptoms if it weren't for the thinners.

Hang in there and it's lucky you don't have pain with it too. I've only had one UTI and the pain was bad. They gave me some med to numb the urethra and that was weird - to know you're peeing, but not be able to feel it. Weird.

 
At 4/01/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger Watson said...

Wow, I never thought I'd say 'thank God for a kidney stone,' but thank God it was a kidney stone!

It sounds horribly scary and painful, but I'm so happy the babies are fine.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that amount of fear and pain, not to mention the awful side effects of the meds, you must be exhausted and dehydrated.

I hope that was the worst of it, and that it's smooth sailing from here on out. I'm so glad you're feeling better!!!

xoxo

 
At 4/01/2007 4:17 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Oh Faith, you poor thing! I'm so glad you are doing better. Just keep paying attention to your body like you have been. Hopefully this is all over now! Keep feeling better

 
At 4/01/2007 4:29 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Wow! Thank God the babies are okay...and you too. I can't believe all of this. I'm just so glad that you are feeling better. The pain sounds horrible.

 
At 4/01/2007 8:10 PM, Blogger Cibele said...

How scary! I am galt that ou and babies are doing weel. I wish you all the best! take care

 
At 4/02/2007 3:27 AM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through something that frightening. But I'm glad your babies are safe. Praying for you speedy recovery.

 
At 4/02/2007 12:01 PM, Blogger Carol said...

oh my god - you poor thing. I hope you have seen the worst of it and feel better soon!

 
At 4/02/2007 12:30 PM, Blogger Kir said...

OMG Faith, that is so scary. I am just glad you and the babies are ok.

take good care of yourself the next few days.

thinking of you!!

 
At 4/02/2007 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to read that you are OK, and the babies too... what a scare!

Let's hope that things calm down a little bit soon...

 
At 4/02/2007 4:56 PM, Blogger ak1908 said...

Phew!!!! You've had an extremely eventful few days. I am glad the babies are ok. Take good care of yourself!!!!

 
At 4/03/2007 2:03 PM, Blogger DebbieDo said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, it sounds awful and very scary.

I am so glad the babies are ok, as well as you.

 
At 4/03/2007 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that it was a kidney stone and not something with the baby. What was your diagnosis? Do you feel like the immune meds were what worked for you eventually?

 
At 4/04/2007 12:10 PM, Blogger Nearlydawn said...

OMG! You scared my heart right into my throat with this post! I was so relived to see the update, and glad to know you are feeling closer to human.

Tell the babies we are all sooooo glad they are OK!

*hugs*

 
At 4/05/2007 6:47 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

OMG I can only imagine how scared you were. Glad things are going better now.

 
At 4/05/2007 7:08 AM, Blogger LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Though I check your blog everyday, I just caught the update.

WOW- how stressful and terrible on so many levels. I have heard that kidney stones do make you feel like dying. Ugh. Well, at least it sounds like you are in a better place now and you can rest, knowing that both you and the babies will be fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller