Hanging in there...21 weeks 4 days
I haven't posted in a while. It's been a long and scary week.
I had some cramping last week that came on when I was out shopping. It felt like menstrual cramps and I immediately headed home to put my feet up. When I called the doctor they said to come in to the ER unless it went away pretty quickly. The cramping lasted 45 minutes and then stopped. So I was ordered to stay off my feet for 24 hours and to call if it came back, otherwise everything was probably fine and I just over did it. Basically this was my body telling me that I needed to modify even daily activities.
After taking it easy and feeling much better since the cramping went away J and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean at the movie theaters on Sunday. When we got home my lower left leg started to hurt (throb & ache) and go numb. I pretty much couldn't put any weight on it. It didn't get better overnight. In fact it worsened and started to swell a little. I once again called my doctor and he said to go straight to the Labor and Delivery b/c it could be a blood clot and those can be life threatening. After assessing the situation, they took me straight to the ER for monitoring and to have both an abdominal u/s and deep vein u/s on my leg. Once there I had a horrible experience w/ misplaced paperwork, miscommunication and waiting when the intake doctor from Labor and Delivery wanted me seen ASAP in the ER. While waiting I went to the restroom and saw red blood on my panties. Hysteria followed along w/ me running back up to Labor & Delivery. They were shocked and upset that I was still waiting over 3 hours later when they sent paperwork to the ER saying to admit me right away. I was then admitted into a room at Labor and Delivery, where they did an abdominal u/s, a vaginal exam that showed the blood was coming from hemmroids not vaginally, checked my vitals and they made the tech come to me to do the deep vein u/s on my leg. There was no evidence of a blood clot (thank god) but they think it may be sciatic nerve pain. This was actually good news b/c all I wanted to hear was that there wasn't a blood clot. I really would have been surprised if it had been that since I'm on Lovenox injections and daily baby aspirin. But- my doctor didn't want to take any chances. My discharge instructions now are to take it easy- modified normal activities. They also suggested I wear support hose since I'm already having problems w/ my back and issues w/ leg pain. I'm hobbling around right now with pretty bad pain in my left leg. It may be b/c I've now put on 17 pounds on my small frame. I'm 5'6" and started this pregnancy out at 115lbs so I can really feel the weight already affecting me.
Starting next week I go in for an u/s and office visit every Monday. Some of these will be checkups w/ a quick peek on the u/s, others to measure my cervix and then a full u/s every month to check growth on the babies. My first cervix check is at 23 weeks so I'm anxious to hear that I'm nice and long and closed up tight. At the hospital both babies looked great... Baby A is transverse and Baby b is breech.
On a positive and happy note. We have picked out our names......
Matthew Alan & Andrew Patrick
The name Alan/Allen runs in both of our families (names of both of our fathers) and Patrick is in honor of J's Mom "Patricia" that passed away when he was a teenager.
Labels: 2nd Trimester



20 Comments:
Good grief, how scary? Man, Faith, it sounds like this pregnancy has really taken a toll on you.
So glad the boys are safe and snug in there and hoping that your cervix is closed up tight when you go for your first check!
Take it easy, ok?
And LOVE the boy names - we have very similar taste in names.
Hugs and hopes that the next few weeks fly by with no more issues...
xx
Wow, you have been through quite a scare. It just can't be totally easy, can it! But, at least it was not a clot and hopefully things will get better. I bet seeing the blood was so scary...I'm starting to get to the point where I am scared to go to the restroom again. Something about the first and third trimester just makes me uneasy and anxious.
The weekly doctor visits sure aren't any fun but it is so nice to be reassured every week and know what's going on inside.
The names are adorable!!
I hope that things calm down for you so you can relax...take it easy :)
Wow, I'm glad your scares didn't turn out to be significant (though I'm sure hemmorhoids are no fun).
I think, as time goes by, that you'll become more vocal about your needs & then those 3-hour-waits will be a thing of the past...
beautiful names and i love the family history. so glad things turned out to be okay, whew! scary!
WOW! Talk about a tough week. Thank goodness that the babies are ok!!! I hope that the pain goes away soon...
gosh, sorry to hear you had another scare! but glad that things are working out ok. weekly dr visits are probably a good idea.
Good Lord Faith, I can't believe that!
The combination of the cramps, pain and bleeding and hearing that it might have been a life-threatening blood clot is just TOO much -- it surely would have sent me over the edge!!
You have dealt with a lot during this pregnancy, so I'm hoping it's all smooth sailing from here on out.
Please relax as much as you can and take it easy!
XOXO
PS LOVE the names!!
Oh honey, how horrible! You must have been so terrified. I'm so glad everyone is okay though. I hate putting the support hose on but they really save me. I haven't been wearing them when I don't go to work and I can tell a difference. They do seem to help a lot, they are just hard on my skin and hot. They are a bit annoying because I have to pull them up constantly, but I don't know how I would make it through work without them! I just wish I had to two pairs because I take them off as soon as I get home from work to wash them so they get dry by the next day. I'd like to leave them on until I go to bed. Hang in there!!!
I had been thinking of you and SOO glad to hear that you and the babies are doing well... Sorry you had that scare!
Keep resting up and I will keep sending good thoughts your way :-)
BTW.... I LOVE the names!
Tracey~
You so deserve to sail smoothly through the rest of this pregnancy!
I had the same scare when I was pregnant with the blood when wiping and finding out it was coming from a different place. Still, what a scary time till you figure that out!
I love the names! Take it easy now, I hope the rest of your pregnancy flies by uneventfully!
Glad to hear everything is ok!
My father-in-law had stabbing pain in his leg years ago. He had xrays done and went to the doctor. They said all was fine. It wasnt- he had a stroke. He is fine today- he actually had a stroke that didnt paralyze him (thank G-D) but it has left his speech so-so.
Anyway, Its good that you had the RIGHT tests done and the bleeding wasnt vaginal. Please take it easy!
I love the names! I would love to give my daughter (if I have one) my mother in-law's name as a middle name- she too passed away when my hubby was only 10. Unfortunalty he is against naming a child after someone who died - especially if they died young and tragically (she died in a car accident).
It will all be worth it when the boys are in your arms. What women go through to become mothers!
First off, LOVE the names - very strong.
Next, I'm so glad that the leg pain was NOT a clot. I had a scare in the first days post-partum with my son and had to have the leg u/s to rule out clots so I know how scary that is. I'd have been surprised if you threw a clot with all the thinners you're on, but it was my first thought too. I bet the blood from the 'roids was worse due to the thinners too. Roids suck!
If your OB will allow it, you might really want to consider a prenatal yoga class to help with the discomfort factor with carrying the extra weight on your small frame cause it's only going to get worse. There are a lot of gentle stretches that you can do to help alleviate a lot of the discomforts and make you feel better a lot longer.
I hope your cervix check shows a nice long, tightly closed, thick cervix so you can relax about that issue at least. The worry and nerves don't ever really stop, they just shift focus.
I want to see a belly pic too - would you be so kind???
OH Faith, I am so glad that you and the babies are ok. How scary.
I love your names , they are wonderful.
good luck and hugs for a few very uneventful weeks sweetie
Yikes. It just doesn't get easy does it? I am glad that you are ok and that you will be getting weekly scans from now on! I'd love the PIO you mentioned to me-- I sent you an email so when you are feeling better let me know. The names are cool!
How frightening! I'm so glad that everything turned out "OK". Sorry about the pain and ongoing worries, though.
On a happier note, I LOVE the names.
Great names!!! Tell why us infertiles have to go through shitty pregnancy too.....I had placenta previa the entire time!
How very stressful. Glad it all worked out, and I hope that's the last of the panicky bits. Take care.
Bea
So sorry you had such a scare but so happy you are all doing OK! Take care of yourself :)
Faith, I hope things are going better for you now. You have really been through the wringer with this pregnancy.
I hope that your cervix proves to be nice and long, closed etc. and you can "relax" for the rest of this pregnancy... nothing's ever easy, is it!?
I love your names- simple and classic.
Wow, that is scary. I'm so glad you are ok and hanging in there. You have had a really tough time so far. I hope the rest of the time is much easier.
BTW the names you picked are beautiful.
Post a Comment
<< Home