9+ Months...
Official stats from the boys 9 Month Well-Baby appt:
Matthew:
Weight: 19pds 12oz (approx 20-25th percentile)
Height: 29.25 inches long (75th percentile)
Head circumference: 18.25 inches (75th percentile)
Andrew:
Weight: 21pds exactly (50th percentile)
Height: 29.25 inches long (75th percentile)
Head Circumference: 18.25 inches (75th percentile)
Matthew now has a referral to a pediatric Gastriologist for his reflux issues. He's currently on both Prevacid and Zantac. We just started the Zantac so hopefully that helps. The poor little boy is suffering and in turn so are Mommy and Daddy. All of these sleepless nights are brutal.
I had a little bit of a nervous breakdown at/after the doctors. We had to fill out long questionnaires on what milestones the boys have met. They should have mailed it to us a week prior to fill out at home b/c I had no clue on a few of them...they were specific...like "Can your child hold on to the side of the crib standing w/out letting his body lean into the crib." Matthew passed w/ an A+ b/c he's so far advanced in every area. Andrew also did well in all areas except for gross motor skills. I told the doctor that he wasn't sitting up much and she said that was a developmental delay. That it could be that he's just a bit slower or it could mean that something bigger is going on. But she clearly said he should definitely be sitting up by now. We were told to wait a month and just observe b/c he supports his head well, rolls all over and can stand supporting his weight so he still passes the gross motor skills but just by a little. I of course couldn't let it go...and had to ask what the worse case scenario could be. She replied Muscular Dystrophy. OMG! Now shouldn't a doctor know better than to say that out loud to a anxious high strung Mom. I know I asked, but still! A better reply wound have been (It's much to early to tell so lets talk more on your next visit when we see how he's progressing).
So I'm crying & immediately get on the devil internet when we get home and look up muscular dystrophy. Which was a bad bad bad decision. No good info to be found my friends! Meanwhile Jerry has Andrew on the floor and calls me into the room. Andrew is sitting :-) In fact he was able to sit a few minutes no problem. How horrible does it sound that we hadn't practiced sitting w/ him. I would try to practice crawling but never though much of the sitting. I of course spent the next two days w/ Andrew on the floor "sitting" and he can now sit for hours on end like it's the easiest thing in the world! In fact my friends from my baby play-dates laughed at my concern when Andrew sat up for a straight hour during a baby story and song time at the library. I guess I've been a bad mommy in this department (guilt) but also a mommy trying to survive! I've just been putting Andrew in the exerciser too often. It was so easy to put Andrew in the exerciser while I dealt w/ a very fussy Matthew. Poor excuse I know. So basically it wasn't enough floor time for Andrew. He needs more practice then his brother. So its all about 24/7 floor time now. And Guess what????? Andrew crawled for the first time today! Yeah!
Did you see the pretty alphabet floor mats in the picture with Andrew? We bought enough to cover most of family room.
I am now certified in CPR. I took a CPR and First Aide class w/ a friend and we were the only two that showed up so it was great one on one attention. I also went to a presentation by Dr. Sears who wrote "The Vaccine Book". It confirmed all of my concerns about vaccinations. He isn't anti-vaccine. Just explains why you should do them slowly over a spread out schedule. So he went over each vaccination and which ones can be safely put off for a while, etc. It's a great book and I really liked him. You should read the book if you have any concerns in this area.
***I would also like to mention that I myself didn't crawl until a year and didn't walk until 17 months so I wasn't real concerned prior to this frightening appointment. And I've been a pretty decent athlete most of my life and am about to run a half marathon. No problems here. I wish we didn't have to stress over these milestones.

Andrew after lunch

Andrew surrounded by toys

Andrew enjoying his new alphabet floor mat

Matthew playing
Matthew trying to get my camera.
I think they're getting bored of the photo session.
Labels: 6-12 months



13 Comments:
The boys are simply gorgeous! Poor Matthew with his tummy issues though, that must be hard :-(
I'm bummed your doctor alarmed you, that would be frightening for anyone! I'm so glad Andrew decided to master the sitting up so you don't even have to worry!
I read the Dr. Sears book and really liked it. Would you mind e-mailing your vax schedule? I know you mentioned you wouldn't be posting about it, but if you don't mind (and if you do I totally understand!) sharing your plan that would be awesome.
I'm so glad you're enjoying your new town, must be wicked HOT these days, huh?
Much love to you all!
bless your heart -- oh the worry. What a dumb move on the doctors part --- I mean seriously.
They are so darn cute. I love the one where he is trying to get your camera -- with his little teeth showing on the bottom!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your marathon -- when is is? Where did you get the alphaber floor mats?
They are so cute! I am glad Andrew was able to help you deal with your fears. I think many children just do things in their own time. I didn't talk at all until I was 3 -- if Bo does that I know I will still freak out, but all the same, it does happen and there is nothing wrong.
I love your picture of Andrew with the alphabet mats and the SuperYard. We've done the same thing in our basement but we have solid blue mats. The alphabet ones I found had lots of little pieces that freaked me out!
I'm so glad to hear everything is okay with your boys. How scary! I'm a huge worry wart too so don't beat yourself up too much. I've been spacing Lily's vaccine's apart too but I haven't read Dr. Sear's book. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!
Oh, what a terrible thought to leave the dr.'s with!
At least your doctor checks milestones (even if they're annoying); we're afraid our doctor doesn't even know what a milestone is. And our boys were on prevacid, but switched to prilosec, and we're also on reglan, which apparently most doctors don't even use anymore. Can you tell we don't have the greatest confidence in our doctors?
But reading about you realizing you hadn't been working on sitting makes me much more conscious of how I'm spending "awake time" with the boys. I'll pay more attention now!
Please don't be angry with yourself about Andrew. We twin mommies are in survival mode, not perfect mommy mode. You are doing the best you can and bugger the rest! You're a great mom!
Ugh, that doctor really frustrates me. They should know better and not say anything unless there really is a problem.
I would have done the same thing that you did though, raced home to the internet so I could find out all there is to know and how to fix the problem.
The pictures are all just gorgeous. Such sweet boys.
Hey, first time reader here :)
Your boys are adorable! I worry about the milestones too, but everyone keeps telling me babies develop at their own pace. I guess that would naturally include twins!
Oh, my 4 mo. old daughter has a bad case of reflux too. She is on Zantac and Reglan now. We have already tried Prevacid and Axid with no luck. I hope they find the right combo of meds for your little guy.
Good to see they're on target after all. I don't think you're a bad mum!
Bea
Good luck with the half marathon - I just walked/jogged my first one. The boys are lovely, I am sorry you had such a scare but glad it's all good.
They are so cute!!! And I think it's great they look so different. They will definitely not have an issue of people not being able to tell them apart.
Hi Faith, your babies get cuter and cuter. So glad Andrew decided to sit up just in time to ease your fears! That doctor should have thought twice before speaking, eh? Would have freaked me out badly. Glad all is turning out well.
About the reflux, Prevacid works wonders for some kids, and I hope it does the trick for you, but my experience is that some don't tolerate it very well. My baby had the hardest time ever falling asleep while on it, and would just get super mad and punch her head and scream and scream for a while after I gave her the night dose. It's like it made her wired and she couldn't shut herself off for the night. I looked into it and it turns out it can give some people headaches, insomnia and nightmares, among other things. It also made her pee a whole lot more, which was so odd. I decided to take her off of it and try something else, and sure enough all the weirdness went back to normal. I definitely hope it works for you guys, but if things don't fall into place, I just wanted to let you know about my experience and the potential side effects for some. Hope you don't mind my 2 cents, and I hope that it all works out and your boy feels better soon!
Your boys are beautiful! Both my twins had reflux, after about a year it did get better though! I'm sorry the dr scared you, I hate when they do that. Just an fyi, if you ever have concerns most states have Free Early Intervention screenings for little ones 0-3. My twins were involved in our program and it was really great to have someone give me tips and strategies to help out with the weakness'. Funny thing was that they had opposite strengths! One was high tone, the other low, etc... I also have read the dr. sears book and plan on following an alternate schedule.
Post a Comment
<< Home