Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, November 20, 2006

Hope

**Long post- wanted to get it all down for my records

I held so much anticipation for this consult. I know that this RE (Dr. Z) is highly regarded and many of his patients come to him with two or more previously failed IVF's. All I can say it that I felt real hope for the first time in quite a while. The consult was much better than I had even hoped for. I was so scared that Dr. Z would give me low odds like my past RE (Yeah- PAST RE- that's right...kiss my ass… adios Dr. Hand's off, no more money from me A-hole!)

Not only did he not give me low odds...he actually gave me high odds and he wasn't concerned about my FSH... I was sure that the entire conversation would be about my high FSH and likely crappy eggs. We barely talked about it. Dr Z said that it's more about age than FSH. He said I might have a lower reserve but that he seriously doubted that quality would be an issue. He even said that he thinks we'll be accepted into his shared risk program. He wants to do my FSH test again on my next CD3 and he said if its gone up he'll even let us have an agreement that I'll be allowed into shared risk as long as I produce 8 follicles and reached an estrodiol of 1200 and as you guys know I produced almost that many follies each time I did IUI's and always had an estodiol of more than 1200. His shared risk is different than many I've seen. You pay so much for just one cycle (approx $14,000, and you get 90% back if it doesn't work). Of course this doesn't include ICSI (which we'll need or all of the testing) But- I had completely accepted that we had ZERO chance of doing shared risk with my FSH levels and it looks like we could have a good chance of being accepted. And this shows that Dr. Z has faith in my ability to get pregnant based on the info he has. This is much different than what I was hearing from Dr. A-hole Hands Off.

Dr. Z spent most of the conversation going over our histories. He said he was happy to see that my Endometriosis hadn't gotten worse in the last year and that it looked like a very mild case. (I sent him pictures) He said that a mild case can still cause immune issues that prevent implantation so we'll have to have me tested for all kinds of immune stuff. He's a big believer in immune issues which is still a controversial topic in the medical community. I'll be tested for almost every immune issue you can think of. And all of them can be treated…but some are extremely expense treatments! He also said that my TSH levels (thyroid) are high (came back at 3.8) and wondered why no one pointed this out to me. He said we'd retest them and most likely treat that as well.

He said he'd give me 50% odds of having a take home baby after one IVF and 40% odds with a FET. His clinic has really high FET success rates... Sure sounds better than the 18% quote I was given from Dr. A-Hole Hands Off!!!!!!

He was also very pleased with all of the supplements I've started taking. I now take baby aspirin, a prenatal, lots of fish oil omega 3's (very good for immune issues), flax seed oil, L'Arginine, CoQ-10, Selenium, Bromelain, Evening Primrose Oil, Spirulina, Chlorella, and lots of Wheat Grass (the last three are pretty gross...I take them in pill and liquid form- but they're supposed to help egg quality so I'd take a bath in them if I had to). I have J on a multi vitamin, CoQ-10 and Fer*tility Blend for men. Dr. Z said that these are all very good for reproductive health. He said that Fertility Blend for men is something he recommends for all men. Women should not take Fertility Blend for women b/c it contains herbs that interfere with the infertility medications. He said some herbs are okay as long as your acupuncturist is knowledgeable and knows that you're ttc through IVF.

Dr. Z also said its fine for me to continue working out. He said it wasn't necessary for me to cut out running this past year. He said that once you become "uncomfortable and bloated " from the stims you should cut back and do lower impact athletics but that he thinks working out is good for you physically and emotionally up until ET. That was when we talked about medications for anxiety/depression and he was very supportive of this. He said constant stress/anxiety can cause immune issues as well and lead to reduced pregnancy rates, so you're better off being on something than trying to suffer through it. He said that Zol*oft, Cel*exa and Lex*apro are the three safest anxiety/depression medications for pregnancy (even nursing) that are out there. Looks like I'll be going on a low dose of Zoloft... (I don't think we always even realize just how uptight and anxious/depressed we are) I know I struggle sometimes but even J has pointed out that he thinks I need this b/c he says I always seem tense and anxious lately...

Let's see- what else. Oh... he prefers that we don't do local monitoring. He'd rather see me himself and not rely on someone else's finding. He does all of the u/s's, monitoring, ER and ET's himself. He works 7 days a week, 361 days a year (sort of scary- wouldn't you burn out big time). He only takes 5 days off a year for medical conferences. I guess he's dedicated his life to this and finds it very rewarding. I'm surprised that he is able to do all of this himself and have such high success rates. He does over 350 fresh transfers a year. The clinic is open 365 days a year and everything is done on site- even blood work.

He says we'll do a Long Lupron cycle unless my FSH comes back higher. Then we'll do a micro-flare protocol. We'll do a 5 day transfer if the circumstances allow for it. We'll do ICSI, but not PGD. I'll have to travel quite a bit. He'll expect to see me 5-6 times before ER. I'll have to drive 4 hours each way to his clinic (not looking forward to this part). I plan to commute most of the time unless I have to be there two days in a row. Then I'll stay overnight in a hotel. I’m not looking forward to the many hours in the car but if this works it’ll be well worth it. I'd like to keep the hotel stays to a minimum since we'll be staying up there for ER and ET... (trying to cut back some of the expense *sigh )Guess I should buy some books on tape - any recommendations?

I have a financial consult and a consult with a nurse coordinator early next week. The nurse coordinator will go over all of the testing I need. I will go up there for my CD3 u/s in the beginning of December and Dr Z expects to put me on bcp's soon after that. He estimates that I'll have my ER and ET during the 2nd week of January.

I just can't begin to tell you how kind he was. I immediately felt comfortable with him. I could tell he’d spent a lot of time reading my medical records and it's a pretty big file. I could actually feel my body relax as the consult went on. (I almost always ended up in tears each time I talked to Dr A-Hole Hands Off) Neither J nor I had any reservations about Dr. Z- not one! We plan to cancel the 2nd consult next week and save the $500 consult fee. (I want to hold on to it for a few days just in case I change my mind but I seriously doubt I will) It was such a relief to finally have an RE that was a take-charge type of guy. Dr Z took a lot of time to explain everything and told us what we need to do. He was positive and supportive and exactly the type of RE I need to help me get through this.

I feel hope... what a nice feeling.

18 Comments:

At 11/20/2006 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith - It's Lisa. What AMAZING news! I'm so beyond pleased for you both. A good doctor means everything and can aid the mental aspect to achieve success. I am a firm believer in the mind-body connection. I'll keep you in my thoughts for positive, successful next steps. Take care. ~lisa

 
At 11/20/2006 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith - I am so happy things went so well for you. You deserve a good doctor that takes good care of you. I'm glad you found your hope. This is going to work for you :)

 
At 11/20/2006 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's is so great, Faith! I am so glad that you received such hopeful news. This doctor sounds so much better than your last one. I am so excited for you!

 
At 11/21/2006 6:22 AM, Blogger Smarshy said...

I'm so happy for you, Faith. It sounds like Dr. Z is the MAN. Thank God you switched doctors. I'm really happy to hear about the consult. Even your Weather Pixie is looking particularly hot and playful this morning.

 
At 11/21/2006 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so happy for you!!!

Good Bye Dr Hands Off!!

4 hours each way - yikes, but like you said it will be sooo worth it. I love Harry Potter and some of those books last more than 8-9 hours. (I think book 6 is over 10 hours?) The guy reading them has won awards for all of his voices.

 
At 11/21/2006 7:17 AM, Blogger A.M.S. said...

Don't you love that feeling of finding a doctor who actually listens? You will find, in the long run, that that one attribute counteracts a lot of the other annoyances. For you, it's travel time, for me, it's an incompetent office staff. I'm sorry you couldn't find someone this supportive closer to you, but I'm so very happy you found him anyway.

 
At 11/21/2006 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KAC--
This sounds WONDERFUL! I'm so happy and hopeful for you! If you need some books on tape (not CD, tape), I've got a few I've listened to that I won't listen to again I can send you. Been thinking about how to get rid of them anyhow. (I travel a lot for work and it is the only thing that keeps me awake!). Let me know that tapes are okay, and they are in the mail! Yellowgirl

 
At 11/21/2006 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have found your match! So great that not only does he make you feel better, he makes you feel that you matter! And you do! I can't tell you just how excited I am for you guys that you have this general leading the charge. He's doing all the things I would hope a good RE would do and you couldn't be in better hands. Lucky!!

 
At 11/21/2006 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! I'm so glad that you found someone you connected with, though the commute will be tough.

As for audio books, my public library has a great selection. Also, check out audible.com. They have an excellent selection and some good deals.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

 
At 11/21/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Sounds like it was a great appointment! I'm so happy that you feel comfortable with the new doc and he made you feel hopeful!

I hope you continue to have more good things come your way.

 
At 11/22/2006 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith. I am SOOOOOO happy to hear this. Like a tear in my eye happy. I am so so thrilled that you have hope again. YAY!

*hug*

 
At 11/22/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Kir said...

Faith, OMG what amazing news. I feel HOPE for you too! It sounds like a good doctor is going to be taking care of you and my fingers are crossed that this brings you the miracle you've been waiting for.
Take good care of yourself and HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

*hugs*

 
At 11/23/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger ellie said...

Yea! I am glad the consult went well. Mine did too--(different RE though) -- but it looks like we are both switching drs! I am glad that he is so responsive to your needs! I hope the best for december.

 
At 11/25/2006 7:24 AM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

Hang on to that HOPE. It's what keeps us going. I'm glad things are looking optimistic.

 
At 11/26/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Isn't it great to have a plan and feel good about it? Yay!!! Im so happy for you! As for books on tape. I personally LOVE to listen to the Harry Potters on tape. They're long books and the characters voices are WONDERFUL (as opposed to some books on tape that have character voices that are TERRIBLE). It's entertaining too! I just read your other comments and apparently I am not the only harry potter on tape fan!

 
At 11/26/2006 11:37 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Wow. I feel hope for you too. That doctor sounds like a gem. I have everything crossed for you hon!

Hugs
Pixxiee

 
At 11/28/2006 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- what a fabulous meeting! Dr Z sounds absolutely awesome, and you sound so much more at peace.

Oh, I can highly recommend the zoloft!

 
At 11/28/2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I just found your blog through Alli's blog today. It sounds to me like you not only found a good RE, but have also made some positive changes in your life with the supplements you and your DH are taking. I need a RE's help to have DD and didn't succeed with them to have a second child. We stopped with him two years ago, but are now trying again. First I've been making a lot of dietary changes and taking some (if not all) of the supplements you mention. I just wish there was a juice place to get a shot of wheatgrass everyday. I have a post recently on my first shot of wheatgrass. BTW, I gave up coffee!!!! That was the hardest to do. When we were trying for #2, I never gave it up, thinking it would work.

Anyway, if it doesn't happen on it's own with all these changes, we'll be talking to the only other RE in the local area. I hear they are good.

Good luck. I'll be checking in to see how you're doing, so keep posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller