Starting Gate
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. My parents came to stay for the week so I was pretty busy visiting. I also ended up with hives! I've never had them or seen them before and I hope I never get them again. I was put on an antibiotic and I think that's what caused the outbreak. Obviously I'm very allergic. I was itchy all day on Thanksgiving and then on Friday, I woke up covered with these huge (quarter size) looking circle-welt things all over my body. They were worse in my warm spots. So my butt was literally covered with tons of these welts that itched like mad. I had them on my thighs, bottom, breasts, face (eyelids and in my ears), even on the palms of my hands...all over pretty much. I called an on-call doctor since my doctors office was closed for the holidays and he confirmed that they were hives and said they usually last up to 6 weeks or even longer. I almost dropped the phone. He put me on Benedryl- 4 pills every 4 hours and I had my Mom and J spray me with that pink calamine lotion constantly. There were times I wanted to scrape my skin off with a knife from the itching... it was miserable. Luckily the doctor was way off on the 6 week time frame and they disappeared almost completely after 3 days. Fun times-
I am still feeling very positive about my new RE...Dr. Z. I had a financial consult and a care coordinator consult early this week. I'll be having a consult with a genetic counselor on Dec 11th. (required) They sent me a very organized binder with everything I need to know. It listed all of the pre-testing that is required from J and I. Since I've already done a lot of testing most of this is blood work. It's a long list of blood tests. Some of the blood has to be shipped to Chicago... those are for the natural killer assay and the antiphospholipid antibody test. The rest can be done locally. They'll be testing for everything from Prolactin, TSH, Cystic Fibrosis, Rubella, Hepatitis, HTLV, VDRL/RPR, ABO/RH, MTHFR, etc... to anti-sperm antibodies, antithroglobullin antibogy, antimicrosomal antibody, and Immunoglobulin IgA (which are all Immunilogical Testing). They also want a day 2 or day 3 FSH and E2 so I'll go and have it all done the same day. I expect my period to arrive early next week so I hope to have all of the blood work mid-to late next week. I really hope my FSH is lower! Say a quick prayer to my pituitary gland so that it can slow down on that FSH production :-) I'll also be driving 4 hours each way to my new clinic for a day 2 or day 3 anteal follicle count w/ Dr. Z. They plan to start me on bcp's at this time in preparation for IVF #1 if all goes accordingly. I'm hoping I can do my b/w on day 2 (isn't FSH lower on day 2 compared to day 3????)or would day 3 be lower?
and then drive up to Dr. Z on day 3. Dr. Z will tell me at that time which protocol he wants me on and I should be assigned some tentative cycle dates.
One negative- Dr. Z uses several infertility meds... he usually had his patients on 80% FSH (such as Gonal-f or Bravelle) and 20% LH (such as Repronex or Pergonal). I really like the Gonal-f pens b/c they're easy and there in no mixing, vials, etc.... well Dr. Z doesn't use the pens...only the vials so I'll have to mix all of my meds, even if I use gonal-f. For some reason he doesn't like the pens and thinks they lead to more errors in dosaging. Oh well- guess I'll have to figure it all out when the time comes- or have J figure it out.
Overall- I'm excited. I'm scared. I'm hopeful. I'm trying to take it one moment at a time.



10 Comments:
Yowza on the hives! My son got some a few months ago and it freaked me out! Be sure to mention them to Dr.Z, they'll catch anything with all that testing, but it's interesting info that he might find useful.
FSH on cd2 or cd3 is fine, they will be about the same at that point. Sorry you'll have to mix all the meds, but I promise after a day or two, you'll be an old pro at it.
I hope AF cooperates so you can get the ball rolling, nothing worse than waiting on her and having her be a no-show and not pg either. It sucks!
Sorry about the hives! Let us know what your FSH turns out to be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know the changes you've made in diet and supplements should help. On the pen thing, I know my old RE didn't use them either. DH and I got to be big pros at the mixing and shots. I even think my DD thought she could give me my shots! She was 4 the last time we tried that way.
You poor thing! I haven't had hives since I was a kid, but I remember it as being miserable and only lasting a feel days. Good Lord Faith, it doesn't sound like you will have any blood left in your body when they draw all that stuff. I got lost on that list! I thought your FSH is supposed to be lower on day 2 than 3. Good luck and drive safely.
Oh ICK on the hives - SO glad to hear that they're gone now.
The meds aren't that bad to mix at all, really. It was sort of fun, actually - I kind of felt like a mad scientist with my vials and needles. :)
REALLY glad to hear you're feeling good about Dr. Z. That is SO important.
Bummer about the hives. Benadryl is a life saver isn't it? Aveno bath helps too. It is oatmeal based and takes away the red and itchiness.
Nice that your folks were near by-- and that you got to spend time with family.
The new dr. sounds awesome. I am glad that you like him- and mixing isn't too bad- I use the que caps to help-- they make withdrawing all the liquids easier than just using a needle.
I am so sorry about the hives but glad it was a somewhat quick bout! My husband broke out one night and it was really scary because we'd never seen anything like that before.
I have to agree with you on the Gonal-F pen. I was scared it was going to hurt worse since it seemed kind of hard to manuever but I have to admit I much prefer it to the syringes.
I'm glad you are feeling confident with this doctor, that is so important. If you have any questions about IVF, feel free to ask since I'm right in the middle of it now!!
Wishing you the best : )
The hives sound awful. I hope things are back to normal by now.
I am so excited for you and starting with IVF. I hope you are rearing up to go with all the blood work, and that your FSH is down to a nice good level.
Don't panic about the different meds - have J help you with the mixing and you will be fine. Promise!
{HUGS}
Faith! Im sooo glad you have a plan! Doesn't it feel good to have such confidence in your doctor? Im so excited for you to get started, and it won't be long now! :)
Wow - hives?! Yikes! Hope they are all cleared up!
How exciting about the dr. We had to mix the meds, too (well, he did. Not me) and it wasn't bad.
Thinking of you, Faith!!!!!!
Those hives sound hideous!!
I'm so glad that you're cycle is underway, it feels great to actually be DOING something!
Post a Comment
<< Home