Back from Dr. Z
As J and I drove up for my antral follicle count I was trying to prepare myself for some bad news. High FSH must mean low antral follicle counts, right.... but nope I was beyond shocked when he told me I had 9 or more on each ovary. So it looks like I have about 20 antral follicles. He said that was excellent and could actually mean I have a touch of PCOS. I asked him if I should be concerned about the FSH numbers and he said not to give it a 2nd thought. We're still waiting on the results from my latest FSH test and he said he would accept us into his shared risk without knowing what the number is. He also said that some women with PCOS have higher levels of FSH. I guess there are several variations of the disorder. I truly was shocked b/c I have no symptoms of PCOS. My periods are like clockwork, I have no extra facial/body hair and I'm pretty thin.
Dr. Z thinks I'll respond well so he's putting me on the long Lup*ron protocol. I'm actually already in cycle now since I started my bcp's on Sunday. I'll be on 80% Go*nal-f and 20* Repro*nex when I start the stims. I'll also be on Medr*ol. There might be some additional medications for immune issues depending on how my test results come back. I should hear about my NK cells today or tomorrow. Since Dr. Z thinks I might have a case of PCOS he put me on Metfo*rmin. He thinks it'll help with egg quality and can't hurt. This drug is kicking my ass though. I started it on Sunday and I've been pretty nauseous and been having the runs ever since. Anyone had any experience with this? I have to up my dosage next week too. I hope the side effects go away. Something else I found interesting was that he has his patients use Progesterone in Eth*yl Ole*ate. I guess it's less painful than the sesame or peanut oil base. Eth*yl Ole*ate is a much thinner substance and can be used with a smaller gauge needle. I was dreading the PIO shots (I have absolutely no ass... LOL) and this should make it a little better.
Overall I couldn't have been happier with my appt. Dr. Z is an amazing doctor and took lots of time to talk to J and I. He also explained everything thoroughly during the u/s.
I will have to deal with crappy commuter traffic. Dr. Z is just outside the city in the bay area and the traffic is horrible! I'll have to plan a few extra hours into my drive b/c of traffic. *sigh
Now I get to obsess about whether or not the Long Lupr*on Protocol is truly the right one for me :-) I figured I'd be on the micro-dose protocol. Now I'm worried that I'll be over suppressed. (I've already spent half a day goggling about it) This is when I need someone to hit me over the head and tell me to snap out of it since Dr. Z knows what he's doing.
Looks like my ER and ET will fall in mid to late January. Wow- this is happening fast.



16 Comments:
My met assvice:
- keep track of what you are eating. From everyone I have ever talked to that is on met - we all react differently to different foods. Some people can't eat pizza. Some can't eat fried foods. Keeping track of what you eat will help.
- Immodium will be your best friend. Some days I am fine - other times I am taking it like clock work.
- On bad days, use wipes and not tp. You will get sore and this will help.
Sounds like things are moving right along; that's great!
I have to tell you that I am also a member of the no-ass club so I was scared to death of the PIO shots (and mine are in sesame oil) but, to be honest, they are actually no worse that the subcutaneous shots I was getting of Repr.onex. I thought they would be SO much worse than they actually are...but the anticipation was worse than the actual shot. In fact, just this morning I was thinking that I would rather have to have 2 PIO shots a day than deal with these nasty suppositories...I HATE them!!!
Best of luck with this cycle!!
I've heard about the issues with met - I am sorry you have to deal with it. And no assvice either, sorry hon!
But I am SO glad that your new doc seems to be SO MUCH BETTER than the last one. :)
Try not to worry too much about over-suppressing - your doc knows what he's doing and I'm sure will keep on top of it.
(Course, that is MUCH easier said than done, right?)
I am so glad that things are falling into place for you, Faith. I have everything I've got crossed for you.
I'm so glad you found a great doctor and he is setting you mind at ease. I am hoping that everything works out for you.
Hugs,
Kate
Faith - so happy to read a post from you! I have been thinking about you and hoping that your travels were safe.
Your antral counts sound great - I could only wish for such a response myself!
Interesting about the PCOS suspicion. If that's true you will likely have no problem stimming lots of eggs. I'm sorry that the Metformin is so rough on you - I hope the side effects are gone soon. That must be rough.
My Dr. S also prescribed PIO substituting the prog. in ethyl oleate - and I think I'm going to use that this time too. I don't have the "no ass" problem unfortunately - I have the opposite issue! But this last time I did have some itchy welts from the PIO since I didn't have time to heat the area afterwards - had to get to work, and we got up at 5:30 to get all the shots in!
Don't sweat about the protocol - usually docs start women on long Lupron unless they have a reason to think otherwise. Dr. Z knows what he's doing, like you said, so stay away from Dr. Google!
When do you start stims? And what dosage are you going to be on? I hope there are no big-deal immune issues to deal with.
You are well on your way now, cycle sista! I am so excited for you. {HUGS}
I'm so glad things are going well (aside from the GI issues of course). Relax and go with what Dr Z says. You are happy with how things have gone so far with him,right? He has picked this route for a reason. Interesting about the PCOS. I laugh even as I type this, but try not worry. Hope you feel better.
I had to stop the met because I couldn't handle it. I literally couldn't work a whole day when I was on it. But they tell me that if you can stick with it, it will get better. I also heard that high fat and high carb food made it worse, but I just didn't have it in me to wait around for it to get better.
Best of luck to you!
Lessons learned on metformin
1. Keep snacks with you. Nothing sucks more than a blood sugar crash. Keeping something in your stomach will help a bit with the nausea. Find whatever you can stand the smell and taste of and go with it.
2. Stay away from anything too rich, unless you have a good book in the bathroom.
3. If you are still feeling the side effects on 500mg after the first week, don't increase your dosage. Wait a few more days. Give yourself time to get used to a dose before upping it.
4. Tums won't help.
5. Babywipes are the greatest thing in the world.
6. Sometimes you just have to lie on the floor behind your desk and your co-workers will learn to deal with it.
7. It will, for the most part, pass. I still have bad days, but its usually because I either got off my five-small-meal schedule or ate something I knew I shouldn't have. Once you figure out your triggers (salads and hamburgers seem to do me in) you'll be in a better place.
When I first started taking met, it was about 6 weeks before I finally hit a point that I could say I felt normal again. I don't say that to scare you, just to inform. It isn't an easy road to start down, but it does get better. Warn your husband that there will be days when he has to fix his own dinner and eat it in another room where you can't smell it and you'll get there. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to try to help.
Wow, it is happening fast. I hope it all works good for you- looks like we will be cycling in jan. together!
awesome news on the AFC. Mine was 14 & 12 the 2 times I had one done and my RE was very happy about that. It definitely bodes well for your chances.
I think LLP is a good way to start since you don't know how you'll stim yet. The worst case is you're over-suppressed and have to start again with a new protocol. It happened to me and while it really sucks to get cxld, it's not the end of the world.
I have no met exp, but sounds like you got good assvice from others. (pun intended)
Great news on the ethyl oleate, I've heard that is soooooo much better.
Repronex burns going in, so go slow and expect some big red welts the size of tennis balls at the inject site, but it's doable. Gonal f is easy!
Dr Z knows what he's doing, you're going to be just great.
oh wow Faith, it sounds like things are going fast, but all in the RIGHT direction. I am so happy that you got good news from Dr Z and that things are starting. It sounds like the dr is right on top of things and taking good care of you.
Everything is crossed for you sweetie
*hugs*
Everything sounds optimistic! I'm glad you've got Dr. Z on your side.
I stopped Met because of the GI upset. But your body gets used to it, that's why they taper the increase in dose. But I do plan to start taking it again next year. Maybe with diet and excercise I wouldn't have to. I heard a low glycemic index diet or the South Beach Diet helps with PCOS without having to take Met.
Snap out of it :-) Nah, just kidding - that all sounds like great news! Dr Z must be a dream!
Hugs
Just delurking to say I'm excited you are getting started!! I'm PCO, without any of the related hormonal issues, etc. too. My first two weeks on Met. were rough, but from then on its been fine (and I've been on it for 1.5 years). If its really bothering you, you might want to ask for the Extended Release - you only take it once a day (just makes it easier). I just finished my first IVF cycle and am barely pregnant; I can honestly say it was more emotinally draining than I thought it would be so try to plan some good distractions for yourself (good movies and books). And I have to ditto on what one of your previous posters wrote . . . the anticipation of the PIO is SOOO much worse than the shot! Mine are in sesame oil, and really not that bad at all. And let's face it, we'd all probably do them for eternity if it would give us a healthy baby! Good luck!
I know I'm a bit late on this, but here are some Met tips I wanted to share anyway...
1) Ask your RE for a prescription for the timed-release version. It can help make the nausea not so bad, because your body isn't getting all of the drug at once.
2) If you don't mind paying the higher co-pay, ask for the brand name Glucophage rather than the generic Met. I haven't tried it, but I've heard other women say they have less GI symptoms on Glucophage.
3) Take the Met about half an hour after you eat a well balanced (i.e. not super-high-carb) meal.
4) Try to avoid super-high-carb meals, snacks, or drinks, even if it's not the meal or snack you're taking the Met with.
5) When you up your dose, take the second pill at the opposite time of day you're taking the first one. (i.e. if you take it after breakfast now, take the second one after dinner.)
6) Be patient with it if you can. It's likely that your body will adjust over time and that the side effects will at least improve if not go away completely.
I hope you're hanging in there. Let us know how it's going.
January? That's awesome! This is so exciting, Faith, and I am really pulling for you.
BTW, WHERE ARE YOU?!
Merry Christmas if I don't hear from you before then!
Post a Comment
<< Home