Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lab Rat

I need to start posting more b/c by the time I finally sit down to write I don't know where to begin.

Most of my blood work is in and it looks like I have a few immune issues. I have elevated natural killer cells and might need IVIg. This sucks b/c it's extremely expensive. It's about $2500 for one infusion. I'll need one on the day of the egg retrieval and then up to three more after confirmation of a positive beta. There is still a chance I won't need it but they said I should plan on doing it at this point. The basic theory (as I understand it) behind this is that if you have elevated natural killer cells then your immune system is basically too strong. Your body not only fights off cancer cells, germs, etc... but also sees an embryo as foreign and this leads to implantation failure or early miscarriage. IVIg lowers your NK cells and therefore makes your immune system more baby friendly. I also tested positive for two MTHFR mutations so I'll be taking Lovenox and prescription strength Folgard. I'm still waiting on one other important test that will tell me if I have to be on Humira. If I end up needing this drug, my cycle might be pushed off for a few weeks since you have to take it for 2 weeks prior to stims. Unfortunately since some of my test results came back positive for immune issues, Dr Z wants me to do a few more specialized blood tests that have to be sent once again to Chicago. I wasn't pleased to hear this b/c it means I have to drive all the way back up there for more blood tests since I can't find anyone locally that will ship my blood. This means that J and I will be going back on Dec 26th (yes- the day after X-Mas). Fun Fun. The one benefit is that they will go over how we're supposed to do all of the injections while we are there. I had figured we'd stumble our way through it and figure it out. It makes me feel better now that we'll actually know what to do beforehand. I was pretty overwhelmed when my gazillion medications arrived in this huge box. In fact I had tears develop and knew that if I didn't want this so damn much I'd never be able to go through with it.

So far I'm taking or I'll be on:

Desogen (bcp's-currently on these)
Prescription strength prenatal
Prescription strength Folgard (2.2mg folic acid)
Metformin (Glucophage)
Gonal-f injections
Repronex injections
Lupron injections
Medrol
Lovenox injections
Doxycycline
Cipro
HCG injection (for my trigger shot)
Progesterone injections
Humira injections????
IVIg (infusion)???*most likely
1 or 2x week acupuncture

*plus the many nutritional supplements I'm taking.

I'm starting to feel like this baby is going to be bio engineered. Aren't they basically changing my chemistry with all of this crap I'll be taking. I sure hope they know what they're doing. This is pretty scary and intimidating. You wonder how all of these medications will affect you later on down the road.

The metformin is still kicking my ass. Thanks you so much for all of your advice. I'd say I'm a little better but not much. I'm pretty much nauseous 24/7. My symptoms sound just like really bad morning sickness ironically enough. I can't stand the smell of cooking food...especially meats. I have to avoid the kitchen a lot. And I can't eat anything with condiments on them. It must be the high sugar content in things like ketchup, honey mustard and B-Bque sauce.
I wondering how this will work with Christmas day. We're going to be with J's family and I can just see me puking in the bathroom with all of the smells and everyone thinking I'm pregnant.

If all continues as planned and I don't need the Humira then I should be starting on Lupron 12/31 and stims on 1/9.

I'm just trying to keep my chin up, my heart hopeful and take it one day at a time.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 1:14 PM, Blogger BigP's Heather said...

Hopefully the met will get better as you adjust to it. It was rough when I started but now it hardly ever bothers me. Good Luck.

I hope that they figure it all out. Knowledge is a good thing and so far everything seems to be treatable so that is good. I'm thinking about you Sweetie.

 
At 12/21/2006 7:14 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Yes, better in many ways to know these things up front. (I say in many ways - sometimes there are things I wish I didn't know - but they're things that don't change our course of action, so that's different.)

Not too long now (all going to plan, that is). Best of luck.

Bea

 
At 12/22/2006 6:22 AM, Blogger Kir said...

I really hope that the MET gets better. I have heard how hard it is and I can only imagine how bad it is this time of year. FEEL BETTER.

I also wanted to wish you a WONDERFUL Christmas (since I won't be online for a few days after today) I hope that 2007 has wonderful things in store for you. I will praying very hard that the good things are coming.

Hugs, love and things that are Merry & Bright
Kir :)

 
At 12/22/2006 7:35 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Wishing you lots of luck and a Happy New Year!

 
At 12/22/2006 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The immune stuff is all so interesting. That is quite the list of meds.

I called the lab yesterday to see if they had my thrombophilia/MTHFR results, and they are not back yet. So, still waiting on that one, but I'm anticipating I might be on Folgard too.

I'm not sure if I'm being tested for NK cells. Plan to find out all my results when Dr. S is back next week.

It is easy to get overwhelmed with all the meds, but as long as you have it all out on a calendar, it's not so bad.

It is amazing what we will put ourselves through for a chance at a baby, bio-engineered or not!

Happy holidays Faith, and thanks for all the support this year. Safe travels for your appt. on the 26th.

 
At 12/24/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Pixxiee said...

Wow. That is a huge list of meds! I can completely understand how daunting that must be - but at the same time, you're moving forward, doing things, and hopefully the result will be worth all the anguish and tears and travel and worry. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely Christmas day with no barfing!

Hugs
Pixxiee

 
At 12/26/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Faith, Im so glad you're getting results that explain why you're not getting pregnant. At least you have a plan and can move forward!! As for metformin, I'm on it too and it seems to me that after a few weeks I adjusted and the stomach issues went away for me. I hope that happens for you too! Hope you had a great xmas and hope today is going great on your trip up to see the doc for more blood work! FUN!

 
At 12/26/2006 2:06 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

That's the best thing to do is just take it one day at a time. I remember when all my meds came to my office and I felt the same...just wanted to sit down and cry. But, if this is what it takes then this is what it takes!!!
I hope the shot lesson went well today; I feel like we're already old pros at it so feel free to ask if anything seems unclear. The best advice I can give is to be sure and make a schedule. I didn't until just last week and now I've finally got it together. At first, I was just trying to remember to take everything 3 times a day but now I've got a strict schedule to stick with and it has really helped. If we go through this again I think I'll make a spreadsheet for myself...my memory's just not what it used to be!!!
Wishing you all the best : )

 
At 12/27/2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am glad to know that we will be cycling together and I will be checking your blog often. It sounds like you have a ton of stuff going on!

 
At 12/30/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger ellie said...

Yes, the first box of meds can be totally overwhelming- and I am hoping it is the only box of meds you will need! I think it is awesome that your RE is doing so much testing to make sure he gets it right--and I hope you feel better. True that we have to want this badly to go through the process it is definately not for the faint of heart. I hope everything goes well with the blood tests this week. I am rooting for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller