Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, January 05, 2007

Colds and Needy Pets

My sore throat has now turned into a nasty cold. I sound like a croaky frog and I have lots of lovely phlegm pouring down the back of my throat and settling into my chest. It's just gross. I'm not happy that this is happening at the beginning of my IVF cycle. I asked Dr. Z if I should be concerned and he said no. So I guess I'll take the "approved" Tylenol Cold and hope I recover soon. I can't remember the last time I had a cold or the flu. It's been forever so it figures that my turn would occur at the worst possible time.

Today will be my fourth day on Lupron. I will take my last bcp tomorrow. I'm a little concerned b/c I started bleeding lightly on Weds night and it hasn't stopped since. This has never happened to me in the many years I've taken bcp's. I didn't forget a pill and I'm taking an active pill at the same time each day so I don't know why this would happen. Something interesting to note is that Weds would have been 28 days since my last cycle and I always have a 28 day (like clock work) cycle. So is my body trying to resist these artificial changes? Or could the Lupron which I've never taken before induce some bleeding? Has this happened to any of you? Dr. Z wasn't concerned about this either and said to continue as planned.

I know many of you are animal/pet lovers and I am right there with you. In fact sometimes I think I'm a little too concerned w/ and attached to my pets. I have one dog Molly (a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) that is very delicate...she is pretty much intimidated of anything but me. This includes being left in the backyard for more than a few hours. I have to make sure the yard is very secure if I leave her out there all day b/c she'll do everything she can to escape. She shakes when she's scared and looks just terrified. She's very meek and lays flat when a stranger approaches her. We are pretty positive her previous owner abused/kicked her. The hard part is that I've really bonded with her. She adores me and follows me everywhere. She's always right at my feet or on my lap. This makes me really protective of her and I try not to leave her outside unless I have to. I'll now let both dogs stay inside if I can be away from the house for less than 6 hours. Pretty pathetic. I also refuse to leave Molly outside over night. My other dog Harley is fine outside. So I really worried about what I'll do with Molly when I'm away for ET and ER... I might be away for up to a week or even more. I can't leave her at a kennel b/c she'll become even more traumatized. This worried me so much that I made my parents agree to take her. They don't live anywhere near me but agreed to meet us and pick her up and drop her off so that I can worry a little less while we're away. This is so ironic b/c originally I wanted two large dogs (hardy and protective) to hike and run with. Instead I ended up with two smaller dogs that demand a lot of care. Harley was adopted from the shelter and we were told she was a Shepard mix and expected to be 50+ pounds. It's more likely she's a Chihuahua/Shepard mix b/c she tops the scale at 12 pounds. Molly is a long story but basically she followed me home one day when I was out jogging. She weighs about 10 pounds.

I can't complain b/c they are the sweetest dogs alive and I'd never trade them. Harley loves everything and everyone and is a bundle of energy. All she wants to do is play and play. Molly is getting better w/ her comfort level everyday and hopefully her devotion to me will spread and include J eventually. I also hope she'll become increasingly more at ease as time passes. We've had her about 7 months now. It's just interesting how things turn out. One thing would be that both dogs would be excellent with children... hmmm could that be why it turned out this way? The one big dog we had ended up being aggressive :-( and would have been a risk around children (although I know many large dogs are also wonderful around children)... In my dreams of dreams we buy a lab for our child when they turn 5 so they can grow up together. Hopefully dreams can come true.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 1/05/2007 3:26 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Faith, dear, I am very sorry to hear that you are sick. I can understand that the timing sucks, but think about this... You don't get sick very often because of those elevated natural killer cells that you have. (I, on the otherhand, have very little immune system and am sick constantly). I don't know by any means, but could that be a good sign instead? Regardless, I hope you feel better soon.

Your dogs kind of make me laugh, because my Molly pushes the scale at about 100 lbs. Our puppy is about 18 lbs and doesn't have too much more to grow. Sparky is a pug though so he is sturdy in his build. I'm just not used to little dogs. Sparky has been quite an adjustment. We still have some work to go though. I had to stop typing because I thought I could smell that familiar odor of a dog crapping in the living room not 30 minutes after having come inside and not telling me he needed to go out. Sometimes I feel like such a failure with the dogs I wonder if I will be able to handle children! Feel better soon. Rest is really the best thing you can do for your body

 
At 1/05/2007 5:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I have heard that lupron can cause spotting...although I haven't had any yet.

 
At 1/06/2007 2:05 AM, Blogger Bea said...

I have a needy dog, too. She wasn't abused, though - just anxious by nature as some dogs are. It's separation anxiety - have you tried any treatments for it? Rescue remedy and DAP diffusers help, as does finding a routine she's comfortable with. I also refuse to make a fuss of her after arriving home or before leaving, just treat it all as casual. It's really helped, although she's never going to be all laid-back.

Anyway. Glad your family can help - that's a load off your mind!

Get well soon!

Bea

 
At 1/06/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Hope you are beginning to feel better!
As far as the bleeding, I also bled while on BCP's this last time around and it continued when I started the Lupron. I can't remember when it stopped but my RE was fine with it and said that it's just the last of my lining coming out. I just found it hard to believe that I would still bleed while on both BCP's and Lupron but apparently it's fairly common.
With the dog situation...I can totally relate. I have a Boston Terrier who is very timid with most people unless she has been around them a few times. We got her when she was a year old and I am also pretty sure that she was abused by the kids she lived with the first year because she always hides and shivers when kids come around. I'm worried about how she'll be with a baby but hopefully she'll get used to them quickly and be better about kids overall. She also can only be outside for short periods of time and I let her and my lab mix stay in the house pretty much all day. My lab likes to go out for a few hours every night but not the Boston. It's hard to plan trips because, like you, there's no way I could leave her at a kennel...she wouldn't eat a bite of food if I did and I would be so worried the whole time. So, we usually call my mom or mother-in-law (who live nearly 2 hours away) and meet them somewhere to drop them off. It's a pain but it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Feel better!

 
At 1/07/2007 8:20 AM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

I love labradors! Aren't they just the sweetest dogs? But Molly and Harley sound sweet too.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

 
At 1/08/2007 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About your doggie, can you take her with you when you are away? I know when I was in Denver, many of the gals brought their dogs, and most "extended stay" hotels allow them I believe. That way you can have a bed rest buddy!

Yellowgirl

 
At 1/08/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Sorry to hear you got a cold. I recommend lots of fluids, especially hot herbal tea with lemon and honey. I also will usually put my head under a towel over a pot of hot water after I boiled it to steam out my sinuses. Zinc and vitamin C can't hurt either. Hope you feel better soon.

On the 28 day thing, I think you are right. I think the medicine is doing what it needs to, but I think your instincts are right that your body wants to have AF right now. But it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the cycle. Keep on going.

You definately are not "too" concerned with your dogs. You just understand that taking them into your family means caring for them like any other family member, understanding what their needs and limitations are. They sound like real sweet dogs. We do have a yellow lab that we bought two and a half years ago when our DD was four years old. They do truly love each other and it's so sweet to watch. Our lab will even take commands from our DD, as we had her help train the dog with treats when she was a puppy. I love our lab with all my heart. Part of why we picked her from the litter was because she was the runt of the litter and was shaking like a leaf when we were playing with her. It was her first day away from her mother and she was petrified, my heart went out to her and I knew we could be a good family for her. Her other littermates that were also available were like other puppies all over the place, but it took our dog a few days to get over her fright and get used to us.

 
At 1/08/2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith - just wanted to say good luck for your IVIg tomorrow, and safe travels! Do you start stims tomorrow too?

I hope you are feeling better after a (hopefully) relaxing weekend...

 
At 1/09/2007 7:06 AM, Blogger Kir said...

I am so sorry that you have a ycuky cold, I am sure it is the last thing you need at this point. I am thinking good thoughts for this cycle and wishing you lots of luck!!!

your doggies sound so cute!!!

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am really HOPEFUL for you this cycle. :)

 
At 1/09/2007 9:49 AM, Blogger Smarshy said...

Hi Faith, just wanted to let you know I'm checking in on you and really hoping for this cycle to be the one. I'm sorry you are sick, but I hope you're feeling better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller