Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Trigger tonight...

Today’s u/s went well. I had 16 follicles w/ the following measurements.

Right Ovary: 19, 18, 18, 17.5, 17, 17, 16.5, 16, 16, 15
Left Ovary: 18, 18, 17.5, 17, 16.5, 16

Lining was 13.5

E2 was 2500


Trigger shot (HCG) is tonight at 8:30 and ER will be on Friday morning at 8:30. I have to be there at 7:30 so J and I will drive up the night before and stay in the city. We don't know yet if we'll have a 3 day or 5 day transfer. Dr. Z tends to do more 3 days transfers so we'll see what he says. Right now we're debating on how many nights we should stay up there. The driving back and forth has gotten really old! We've now driven almost 60 hours for appts at Dr. Z's office and we haven't even gone to retrieval yet. I figure that is about $500+ dollars in gas alone. We're still planning on minimizing our overnight stays. Questions for all of you...do you think it's okay for J to drive me home (4 hour drive) after the egg transfer. I figure I can put the seat back and hopefully sleep the whole way...DR. Z wants two days of full bed rest so I don't know if I should avoid such a long drive. What do you think? I prefer my own bed and being home w/ my dogs...etc...plus saving the very high cost of hotels in the city. I laugh as I write that b/c in the scheme of things a hotel stay or two doesn't make a dent in what we're coughing up money wise for this cycle. But...hey that is still a new outfit or two.... or maybe...just maybe it could go towards stuff for the nursery (hoping, pleading, praying, begging) ....

Interesting side note- HCG 10,000 units shot is to be given in the stomach subcutaneous w/ a 27 gauge needle. Interesting b/c I didn’t know the HCG could be subcutaneous. In the past I’ve always had to give it to myself deep in the hip muscle (intermuscular).

Also...just want to mention how much I'm thinking about my cyclesistas right now. I'm pulling for each and every one of you.

Labels:

25 Comments:

At 1/31/2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Oh Faith - this is looking SO good!!! I love the measurements, your E2 is in check... and your lining is nice and plump.

As to your question, I'd personally drive home and rest in the car. It's less money, you'll get home (which is a LOT more relaxing anyway).

But that's just my two cents. You do what you have to do.

 
At 1/31/2007 7:05 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

what an amazing follie report! I have such a good feeling about this cycle!!

I always did the trigger subQ, the injection site will be quite tender for a few days, like a bad bruise. I don't know if that happens with IM, so thought I'd mention it.

Ask the dr, but I'm sure the drive home and then straight to bed will be fine. I wouldn't lay in the back seat though - too dangerous in case of an accident. Can you lay the passenger seat way back to recline and still have a seat belt on? Not the safest, but better than no seat belt in the back seat.

Thinking of you.

 
At 1/31/2007 7:09 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Very exciting.

If home is where you're most comfortable then definitely do the drive and get home. Bring a blanky and a pillow for the car ride!

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

 
At 1/31/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Good luck Friday.

I've always done my HCG SQ.

Bed rest seems to be a per RE kind of thing- I've never been on it and my RE tends to be really conservative. But if I had to be on it, I'd definitely want to be in my own bed- and I'm sure J would like to be at home, too.

 
At 1/31/2007 7:59 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Wow, it sounds like you've got some great follicles! Congratulations!

Regarding the trigger, I was always told to do them sub-q during my IUI cycles. The only one I've ever done IM was for the IVF cycle. So I guess they're frequently done both ways.

As for driving home after transfer, if it was me, I'd find a hotel and stay near the clinic. We drove home (6 hours) after our first FET, and part of me questioned if that was why it didn't work. For December's FET, we stayed by the clinic, and talking DH into even just letting me even just lift my head to eat/drink so that I wouldn't choke was a battle. I stayed as horizontal as possible for as long as possible, and the embies dug in deep. (It didn't last, but that didn't have anything to do with implantation.)

 
At 1/31/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Oh Faith those numbers are beautiful!!! Your old RE didn't know what the hell he was talking about with your ovaries did he? I can totally understand wanting to be in your own home and your own bed, but at the same time a car ride of more than 30 minutes is stressful for me. I know I am "special" but being in the car is not my idea of taking it easy. It just seems like an added risk, to me. But you do whatever will make you happiest. Congrats on all that follie work!!!

 
At 1/31/2007 8:46 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Sounds like a great stim! And you'll get to have a little break from injections, too (or is that a big break? I can't remember if you're doing POI or what).

I think you'd be fine to drive back that evening personally. What does your RE say? Of course, it would be even less stressful to stay overnight at a hotel, if you think you can afford it. Every little thing adds up though, doesn't it?

Bea

 
At 2/01/2007 7:17 AM, Blogger A.M.S. said...

Great response!

Being the worrier that I am, I'd probably run the driving home thing by the doctor first, but it's probably fine and you will definitely sleep better in your own bed.

 
At 2/01/2007 7:40 AM, Blogger BigP's Heather said...

That is so impressive! I don't think anyone could ask for a better chance. I'm thinking about you Sweetie and I wish nothing but the absolute best for you!!!

 
At 2/01/2007 10:48 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

Faith - everything looks so good! I will be praying for your egg retrieval to go smoothly!

Kristy

 
At 2/01/2007 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you "split the difference" so to speak? Maybe after ET head out of the city for an hour, to a more reasonably-priced hotel, then stay there for bedrest? While home is good, will there be too many distractions-- ie, happy doggies jumping on your tummy--? I ditto the running it by Dr. Z. Ultimately it probably won't make any difference, but if you worry it might, the cost is worth it to not have to wonder later, you know? I know I never had bedrest locally, but did with CCRM (day of transfer, and next day). Is that what made a difference? Doubtful, but I followed their advice since they were the experts. GL either way! Yellowgirl

 
At 2/01/2007 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith, I just saw your post, so you have already triggered! Congrats!

My hCG triggers have been all im, but it depends on the brand of medication you have. Some brands are specified as sc.

Your follies sound ripe and ready - will be praying for lots of mature eggs!

Regarding the drive and resting, our drive home from the clinic/lab is approx. 3 hrs one-way, and we went home this cycle after both the retrieval and transfer. We didn't do the hotels this time. We did them for the first 2 cycles, but the timing worked out better this time with having afternoon retrievals and transfers, so we weren't worried about hitting rush-hour quite so much.

I reclined the seat and laid flat with a blanket, and it was fine. We have a dog at home too, but he's not rambunctious so that is not an issue for us. Something to think about.

I'd say you need to do what you feel comfortable with - that you will not say "what if" afterwards. I can understand wanting to save every penny...

p.s. make sure you're keeping track of your mileage - it's tax deductible!

Wishing all the best for you tomorrow, Faith. I am really excited for you!

 
At 2/01/2007 12:37 PM, Blogger Watson said...

Faith,

I am so, SO thrilled for you! Even with that awful cyst you had to deal with, your body is totally coming through for you and I'm so excited to hear how retrieval and transfer goes.

I am around this weekend so definitely call if you want some company...we might be heading up to SF one of the days with a relative who is in town, so if you need anything please call.

In terms of the drive home, I think I would ask Dr. Z directly and defer to his judgment.

Although I'm much more comfortable in my own bed too, personally I would err on the side of being super duper extra cautious and stay one extra night in a hotel.

Four hours is a long drive, and that's without traffic or, God forbid, any weather issues (but I guess the forecast here is pretty good). And I wouldn't want you to feel any extra stress afterwards about getting home.

I am sending you GOOD WISHES and I can't wait to hear all about it.

I'll try to call you next week to check on you, if I don't hear from you over the weekend.

xoxo,
Watson

 
At 2/01/2007 1:33 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Wow!! Lots of good follies in there!
As for the driving, I'd go ahead and drive home. I stayed at the clinic for about 30 minutes and then made the 30 minute drive home. I had planned to stay put but once we got home, we got a call that someone wanted to come look at our house. So, I got in hubby's truck and laid the seat all the way back. We parked down the street for nearly 1.5 hours before finally calling the agent and finding out they cancelled on us!! So, I think as long as you are laying semi-flat and still, you should be just fine. My RE wanted 4 days of bed rest but I couldn't do it. I only made it about 1 day and then started walking around the house a lot the other 3 days. I never left, but sure didn't stay on the couch that whole time.
Wishing you all the best and keeping you in my prayers!

 
At 2/01/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, those are some great follicle counts! I would drive home if it were me. You will be relaxed at home with your puppies. I will be praying for you!

 
At 2/01/2007 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love tons of differing advice??

My RE did not recommend strict bed rest after ET, but I did take it easy - lay around the house, my mom came up and did all our cooking, and I didn't do much of anything but watch TV and read. I did get up, take showers, etc (and I am pregnant now). So, with that being said, if it were me, I would definitely want to be at home with my own bed and my dog for a distraction.

HOWEVER, as many others have said, I'd want to be sure I didn't have anything to worry over later so I'd ask your doctor's opinion, too. Explain your preference and then get his advice. He's the expert on YOUR cycle. You are trusting him with alot so I'd want him on board with my plan.

Good luck!! I'm so hopeful to read great news from you in a few weeks!

 
At 2/01/2007 6:20 PM, Blogger x said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going well, the numbers sound perfect!

As for bed rest, I can give you my experience. We had a 1hr drive back after transfer. I then drove 30 min myself to an accupuncture appointment, and 30 min back. Proceeded by making diner for my step children. No bed rest at all and so far, so good. Either way though, you have to do what you feel comfortable with. The "shoulda coulda's" will sometimes drive a person nuts.

 
At 2/02/2007 12:24 AM, Blogger Baby Blues said...

Looks promising! Loving the good news. Good luck on the trigger. I'm so excited for you. Whether you stay in a hotel or decide to drive back, it wouldn't really matter as long as you don't get stressed or do anything strenous. I agree, it's more relaxing and comfortable to be home.

 
At 2/02/2007 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Everything sounds GREAT! amazing follies and a terrific lining...this boads well!
i laughed at your line about the high cost of hotels when we'r spending loads on these treatments...it's hard to keep it all in perspective sometimes...
all the best with this promising cycle!
peace
shlomit

 
At 2/02/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...that's a lot of follies! You are an EGG MAKING MACHINE!!! Thinking of you today Faith, and hoping you got lots of mature eggs ready to grow grow grow! I'd probably drive home on transfer day and just recline your seat. I don't see how it could hurt anything bedrestwise. Good luck to you!!! Waiting to hear the good news!

 
At 2/02/2007 2:07 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I hope your ER went well. I think driving home is just fine.

 
At 2/02/2007 2:32 PM, Blogger squarepeg said...

It's Friday and I wanted to tell you that I've been thinking about you all day! I hope things went great and I'm sending awesome fertilization vibes :)

 
At 2/02/2007 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you periodically throughout the day. I hope your ER went well!! (Not sure if I'll get to check in on you this weekend - so wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK!!)

 
At 2/02/2007 3:56 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

FAITH! Those numbers are SO AWESOME! I am envious of your lining.

Hope you are feeling great!

 
At 2/05/2007 9:42 AM, Blogger Runergirl said...

Sounds great to me! Keep us posted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller