Infusion Therapy
I'm going to back up to Monday. On Monday I worked for a few hours before coming down with a horrible migraine. I believe it was Lupron induced. My Estodial was down to 14 on Sunday so it was most likely down to zero on Monday since I didn't start my stims until Monday night. I made it home and holed up in bed dreaming about the Imitrix in my medicine cabinet that my RE said I cannot take. I am only allowed Tylenol which might as well be powered water. I had to basically crawl to a dermatologist appt in the afternoon b/c I'd had the appt for 3 months. My primary doctor wanted me to have some suspicious looking moles looked at. The nurse at the Dermatologist was the high pitched talkative type. She asked me questions and found out I'm on fertility drugs for my IVF cycle. She proceeded to tell me that she didn't get pregnant for 2 years b/c she was too obsessed with baby making and finally did when she relaxed. By now I had mentioned to her that I had a headache at least 3 times and really wanted to push her out the window.
Interestingly enough- the Dermatologist later disclosed to me that it took her 4 IVF's to have her first child. She did a bunch of IUI's with the same RE that I used before I found Dr. Z. She validated the fact that he was an A-hole and she also went running as fast as she could to someone else. Her biggest regret was that she wasted time w/ too many cycles on Clomid and IUI's. She wished she had gone straight to IVF and not wasted any time. She had a "oops-natural" baby a year after her 4th IVF finally worked so she has two children now. It paid off to share b/c originally she wasn't going to have time this week to remove a "funny looking" mole and when we shared IVF info she squeezed me in today (Thus). Dr. Z said I could have it removed this week but not one we got close to ER. So I'm glad I can get it taken care of.
I managed to crawl back home after the appt and go to back to bed until Tues morning when I had to travel 3 hours up north for my IVIg. It's amazing what you do when you have too. I took some books on tape (Thanks Yellowgirl) for the ride, food/Gatorade, Ipod and magazines for the actual infusion. I ended up being the only patient there for my entire infusion. This disappointed me at first b/c I thought it would be nice to chat with someone..but later was grateful as my head got worse and worse and I just wanted to die. At one point I had to ask for a break. My blood pressure was down to 71/53, (is that even alive?) I felt like I was going to vomit and my head had 6 hammers banging away at once. They kept telling me to drink more fluids and eat. I shoved food in my mouth while pushing down the urge to vomit hoping it would help. It didn't. They ended up giving me a half hour break from the IVIg and just put an entire bag of fluids into my IV... that helped a little and then they started up again until I was done. I had to use every ounce of strength I had to get home. I though briefly of staying over for the night but I had nothing with me and I really just wanted to get home. Once home I just cried from the pain in my head. J felt bad and tried to help but there was little he could do, except give me my shots of Lupron/Repronex and Gonal-f...
I think the Migraine I had going into this was the problem. I don't think the IVIg would be bad at all if I was feeling fine going in to it. The side effects can be nausea, headaches and aches and pain. I also noticed that the substance stings as it goes in at the IV site. They give you a heated pillow for your arm and that helps. There is a good chance I'll need another one next week so hopefully that experience will be much better.
Finally- today I feel better. Not 100% but great compared to before. You'd think I should be dancing around and running a marathon. Shouldn't I feel wonderful after having a $2500 IVIg. This stuff must be liquid gold.
It'll all be worth it when I'm holding our child in my arms.



17 Comments:
Oh Faith. I got migraines too during IVF #1... they sucked. I finally broke down and took an Excedrin Tension Headache (caffeine and Tylenol) which helped. But then I felt guilty.
*hugs*
I want this to work more for you than I've wanted anything, I think.
Crossing my fingers and hoping with all my heart.
OH, I'm so sorry Sweetie. That is just miserable. It will be all worth it when you hold your baby though.
Sorry you're having such a hard time of it with the migranes and everything. but you're right - it will all be worth it!
Hang in there! It sucks to have those hormone induced headaches, I have been battling them myself...UGH! Best of luck and hope you feel better!!
Angi
Headaches are such torture. What a mess.
I hope the stims get your E2 up higher so you don't have to deal with them anymore. That WAS a lot of Lupron to be on, no wonder your E2 bottomed out.
You've hit the bottom, now it's time to climb to the top.
Wow, Faith... you have had a crazy few days. I can just hear that squeaky voice of the nurse "just relax..."
That is mighty interesting with your derm. and her IVF story. Did she tell you where she went after she left Dr. "Hands Off?" At any rate, I'm glad you will get the mole removed before you get closer to ER.
I hope that you will continue to feel better now that you have been on stims for a couple days now and that the migraines will stay away. There is enough stress involved in this process that you don't need any extra!
I'm glad your IVIg infusion is over... it sounds tedious. Do you have to go once more after ET then?
I am hoping and wishing that this will be the only cycle you need! Thanks for all your support too!
Sorry about the migraine. My best friends gets them and it is just sucks to say the least. To give you hope...once she got preggo she didn't have another migraine until she had the baby. Just think 9 months of no migraines!
Is there anything worse than someone telling you to "relax" and you'll get pregnant???
I guess there is - hearing that while suffereing from a migrain.
People say some stupid things.
Ugh. I have had migraines since I was six years old, and they suck. I hope that you're feeling better now.
No words of wisdom here (not that that is new!) but just wanted to say I am thinking of you. You've had quite a sucky start to your cycle, but hopefully the gods of fate have seen that and will give you a glorious finish! You deserve it!
Yellowgirl
I suffer from terrible migraines as well. My head feels like its in a vise grip, my eyes water and I get nauseous. I stopped taking my beloved imitrix shots when I started taking meds for fertility. My Mom brought me some spa cream to help me. I thought she was nuts to think it would really do any good for a migraine. I was wrong. It doesn't take away the headache but it helps provide some good moments of relief when you can't be at home holed up in your bed. Its called Pulse Point Cream
Mind Body Therapy by Earth Therapeutics. I keep some in my purse.
Faith,
I am SO sorry to hear all of that (although I did have to giggle when you said you wanted to throw the woman out the window after she offered her oh-so-helpful assvice!).
I truly hope the migraines are gone for good, because this process is stressful enough.
And I must reiterate:
PLEASE call me if you need anything. Really. I am so close to Dr. Z's office and we have a guest room and if you needed to stop by (or stay over) you are more than welcome.
There's even a lounge in my office with a comfy couch, so if you want to stop and grab tea, and take a break from the driving, you are more than welcome.
Truly. We IF gals need to stick together, right?!?
xoxo
Glad you feel better, but oh my. Hopefully you're right and the next one won't be as bad. And yes - all this will seem like nothing the day you bring baby home, that I believe.
Bea
So sorry about your migraine! I have only had one in my etire life and it had me in the fetal position on the cold, dark bathroom floor. I have never even heard about IVIg? maybe it is something I need to look into? Good luck darling, I will continue to pray for you!
Sorry for the horrible headache. I found the suppression drugs did the same to me. The big difference for me was sleep - does that make a difference for you?
Hoping you're feeling better.
Oh, Faith that is not fun! Hope your headache went away and you got some rest.
I agree with Serenity - I want this to work so badly for you and I can't wait to read when you finally post your positive results!
I've missed you!!
Hey--from a fellow migraine sufferer, especially during the (*&^^% lupron phase: two things that actually helped!
1. Phen.ergan and water. Take one tablet, then drink as much water as you can for the next hour. The water is to prevent you from dehydrating and making your migraine worse. What'll happen is that it will dull the migraine to a manageable level, but I've noticed that it works best if you can either sit as still as possible, or go to sleep. I find that I have to keep dosing myself every six hours to keep the migraine down while it runs its course, but this remedy is making it possible for me to function. I MISS im.itrex!
2. Acupunture, as long as the acupunturist is skilled with removing migraines. It's expensive and archaic, but I swear it works. What the Acu will do is lance the particular points on your scalp and drain blood from them. Yes, you read correctly. I was in the worst pain of my migraine career on day 2 of lu.pron, and the acu returned my head to normal in about 1 hour. I couldn't believe it! and OMG, what a relief.
I highly recommend either of these two methods to migraine sufferers going thru IF tx and/or PG.
Good luck, and I hope this helps!
Post a Comment
<< Home