Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

11 Months

We are just around the corner from turning a year old. I can't believe it. I just continue to be amazed at the daily progress these guys make. It's absolutely astounding. I am having so much fun w/ this stage. It's my favorite by far. I'm excited to see what the near future brings... "toddlers" but sad to leave behind having two babies. (they will always be my babies though...won't they)

Here are a few examples of how much can happen in just 24 hours that will leave you just speechless.
  • Just this morning... Matthew actually took a pillow from the couch, dragged it in front of the entertainment center and then proceeded to stand on it so he could try and reach items high on a shelf that are supposed to be off-limits. Isn't that a milestone for a 2 year old? I also watched Matthew walk independently about 15 steps in a row today w/ no help. He's been doing 3-5 steps by himself for a month or two and walking while holding onto something but this is a big leap. I haven't encouraged his walking at all b/c I've been hoping to put it off just a little. I have my hands full as it is. But...looks like there is no more putting it off. So I am now officially going to encourage his walking/running and have even more chaos to attend too ;-)
  • Then at lunch, Matthew decided he didn't like some of his food choices so he handed Andrew his unwanted finger foods one at a time. Matthew would either hand it to Andrew or drop it on his tray. Andrew would then pick it up and eat it and this continued through 10 or so pieces of food. It was so cute....like they were sharing.
  • And just when J and I start to worry a little about Andrew's progress, he steps up and meets another milestone. Andrew is now pulling himself up into a standing position (while holding onto something). Yeah! He goes from crawling or sitting into a kneeling position and then pulls up to standing. He figured out how to do this yesterday and is now doing it non-stop. I think one challenge being a first time parent w/ twins is you don't know what "normal" is so you tend to compare them even though you don't want to. I'm fortunate to be in a baby playgroup that helps w/ this...b/c we all have babies of similar ages and most are where Andrew is in the milestone department and that calms the nerves and worries some.
  • I have also noticed recently that Andrew is getting better and better at copying my actions. He'll shake his head no and copy me sometimes when I do it. I'll drum my hands on his highchair tray and then he'll copy me and we'll go back and forth doing it. Like we're a rock and roll band. Loads of fun...laughs all around.
So as far as where we're at w/ 11 months:
  • Both just started wearing size 4 diapers day and night.
  • We're wearing 12 month size clothing but will be moving onto 18 month sizes pretty soon.
  • Both are drinking 3 bottles (6 oz each) of formula a day. Sippy cups of water are offered. Andrew does okay but Matthew is still not a fan of drinking from a sippy cup. My goal is to work on this so we can transition to a sippy cup in place of one or two of the bottles each day. We're eating 2-3 (usually 3) meals of solids per day. Finger foods and some pureed foods. Both boys prefer the pureed veggies over soft bite sized pieces of veggies. Other than that they love small pieces of fruit, crackers, waffles, cheese, etc....and both LOVE yougurt. Andrew will eat most anything whereas Matthew is much pickier.
  • J and I have been bathing the boys together in the big soaking tub. This may have to stop b/c both like to crawl and stand in the water which can be frightful at times. So they are too big for a baby tub but too squirrelly for the actual tub itself. Maybe just hose them off in the back yard for a while :-)
  • Nighttime has been horrible this last week. Not sure whats going on but Matthew has been waking up a lot. Maybe the reflux is still an issue? Even Andrew (my good sleeper) has woken up a few times too. They also wake each other up more often now then they used to.
  • Typically Matthew starts the day before 5AM and Andrew likes to sleep in until 7:30. So lining up their schedules can be challenging. Both still go down around 7:30pm for bed.

I leave you w/ the photo invite I'll be sending out soon for their first birthday party. (Thanks Kirsten for the recommendation) I'm excited about having this little party. Should be fun!


Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8/27/2008 6:30 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Hi Faith,
It is great to hear how the boys are doing. Wow, you must be exhausted having to start the day so early. Your boys sound like they are thriving! I can't believe they are almost one year old. I don't know about you but this has been the fastest year of my life!

 
At 8/27/2008 8:34 PM, Blogger Soralis said...

Enjoy the party!

Sounds like they are doing great. My boys both started walking within 5 minutes of each other so if you can tape one to the floor for a while I suggest it! :) It's amazing what they can get into when they are upright! :)

Enjoy, they do grow up so very fast!

 
At 8/28/2008 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The invitation and photos are so adorable! Our situation sounds very similar except my twins are girls. My smaller one is walking all over the place while her sister, who weighs about a pound more, has only taken 1-2 steps. It seems to be a weight thing, maybe the lighter upper body is easier to stablize? And we are also having some night waking, which I've attributed to a little separation anxiety but who knows. Anyway, it's good to have the perspective of other Moms/babies to see that there is no set definition of "normal" so thanks for sharing your stories! Michele

 
At 8/29/2008 8:18 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Feeding his brother his food, how cute! You want to make him stop, but at the same time you want to laugh. Our food just ends up on the floor for mom to clean up. It drives me nuts that they have to get rid of it and not just refuse to eat it. It took Jake awhile to get the hang of the sippy cup. He still prefers a regular cup but he realized the sippy is mobile and that helped.

 
At 8/30/2008 7:23 AM, Blogger Bea said...

Love the invites!

Bea

 
At 9/02/2008 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My monsters have been in size 4 forever it seems. We did "accidentally" buy some size 5 Huggies Overnight diapers and they weren't terribly big. The monsters are not quite crawling yet so I guess I am lucky. Theyare shuffling on their tummies but getting into mischief just the same. They love cords. Laptop cords, lamp cords...oh...and mail. Junk mail, big envelopes...you name it.

 
At 9/02/2008 12:48 PM, Blogger Tonya Staab said...

Faith, they are both doing just so well. Good job mama. The photo invite is just gorgeous too.

 
At 9/05/2008 9:32 PM, Blogger edie & ella said...

Funny thing...your boys were the same age as Edie and Ella are now when I started reading your blog.....how time flies!!! Hope things are well...how's the party planning???

 
At 9/06/2008 9:28 PM, Blogger Jaimie said...

Hey, I gave you a tag. I tried to ignore mine but I caved.

 
At 9/10/2008 10:14 AM, Blogger Janet Lea said...

I found your blog randomly today and have read through most of it. Just wanted to comment and thank you for writing about what you are/and have gone through. It's nice to know there are others out there feeling the same. God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller