Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Trigger Day

So... I've been trying to recover from my crappy week. Nothing has gone right. Everything has gone wrong. I'm starting to heal from losing my dog although I still miss him terribly. Today I had my b/w and u/s. I drive an hour to my RE's office since there are no RE's in my town. When I arrived they told me that I mixed up my days and my appt was tomorrow. I showed them my appt card that they filled out which showed today's date. The clerk back-peddled and said she meant I was rescheduled for tomorrow and that they tried to call me. I pointed to my cell phone and said this is my one and only phone and no one has tried to call me. I seriously proceeded to throw a fit and yell that I didn't drive an hour, or take a zillion shots, or pay an ass load of money for me to come back tomorrow when I more than likely would need to trigger tonight (and I soon found out I was right). I could feel my heart pounding and knew my face was flushed. I was so pissed. Mostly b/c they were trying to pull a fast one on me. It would have been much better if they said they screwed up. I refused to leave and finally they said they would get one of the other doctors to see me. I've had it w/ my RE's office. While I waited I went outside and paced like a caged animal while I called and bitched to J about the incompetent Re's office. It kills me that I don't trust that office, when so much depends on it. Our finances are pored into that place, not to mention our time, energy, hope, our future children or lack there of...

Adding this to the pile of already terrible happenings made me feel like all the Karma in the world is against me and I need to just live under a rock until it passes... but then I had my u/s with a different RE (who I liked) and...... HOPE makes an appearance.

... you will not believe how many follies I have. I have 7 mature follicles measuring between 19-21mm. I also have 10 or so smaller ones. My estrodiol is 2200 and my lining is 11.5mm. The doctor sat me down and warned me about all of the risks. He said very few clinics would allow me to trigger but he was willing since this was our 4th Injectibles/IUI cycle, but only if I was aware and acknowledged the risks. He said I have a greater risk of OHSS (over-stimulation) and of multiples.

He mentioned that I'd be an ideal candidate for IVF since I respond so well to the stims. Funny since my FSH blood work came back elevated at 9.8 in December and I was told that I might have a diminished ovarian reserve...

Anyway- right when I was told the numbers I felt this amazing amount of HOPE rain down on me. She reared her ugly little head again. I mean...really...shouldn't my odds be decent w/ 7 mature follies? I didn't even care at that moment about risk factors. I just wanted to hear that it would work. Now that I'm home and letting it sink in, I'm starting to get worried. 7 follies is a lot! And my estrodiol is really high. I don't want a major case of OHSS. Can't that be deadly? I'm obviously going to have to research this on the internet when I'm done w/ this post. As for the multiples. J and I have discussed it and we would do selective reduction if need be. I guess we'll worry about it when we get there.

So am I crazy? Should I even be excited? Nothing has worked so far so maybe I should boot HOPE out the front door. I trigger tonight and we will have the IUI on Saturday morning. I hope J's counts are good. His count has gone up each month for each IUI. I put him on Fertility Blend for Men if you interested. He'll have 7 or so targets this month. I'm already dreading the 2WW. It gets worse and worse for me each month. Maybe b/c we are now nearing the end of the road. Options are limited since money is limited. Plus- how much can a person take. My emotions have been through the grinder over and over.

I have left all dignity and pride at the door. I'm pleading for you to send good thoughts. Please send prayers my way. I don't know how much more I can take.

10 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 6:01 PM, Blogger Serenity said...

Girl, you have gone through a WEEK. I have been thinking about you almost every day...

As for OHSS - I triggered with a full shot when my estradiol was over 5000. It was for an IVF cycle, and I did have some mild OHSS symptoms, but it wasn't all that bad at ALL.

And 7 follies... GREAT. You only need one, and if you and J are comfortable with the multiples risk, then you are definitely increasing your chances!

Hang in there, Faith... I'll be hoping and thinking of you. HUGS.

 
At 6/15/2006 8:45 PM, Blogger squarepeg said...

Isn't it weird that the one thing that is the most horrific is the one thing everyone says you should have? Oh, don't lose hope, they say. Yea, right!

That being said, it can sometimes be a welcome change from the bitter, utter frustration. So take it and run with it. You'll deal with the fall out of 7 follies, be it feeling crummy or multiples. I have no words of advice for dealing with potential OHSS, but I'm sure you'll get some great advice from others.

So, good luck! You have all my good thoughts headed your way!

 
At 6/15/2006 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loads of thoughts coming your way, all you can do is take it one day at a time and hope like hell that this works....
I've never had anything remotely like OHSS, I'm a chronic under responder, but those that I do know that have had it have been advised to drink lots of Gatorade.
Good luck!

 
At 6/15/2006 9:35 PM, Blogger seattlegal said...

What a tough week! And the RE's office not being able to admit to a mistake!

Good luck with this IUI!

 
At 6/16/2006 3:52 AM, Blogger Meg said...

KTP - You are having such a hard time.. I am indeed sending lots of good thoughts your way. That's certainly some follie action there though. Impressive. Hang around, hope.Go on!

 
At 6/16/2006 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sending all the good thoughts I have your way. Seven is a lot, but that doesn't mean that they for sure will all release. In my last IUI, I had three mature follies, and when I got pregnant I was sure I had twins or triplets but I don't, so obviouly only one released.

Good luck to you! All my crossables are crossed for you!

 
At 6/16/2006 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K,

I hope you have a good relaxing weekend - you deserve it after the week you had.

That sucks about trust and the RE's office. I can't believe they tried to blame their mistake on you. Good job on standing your ground.

That is a lot of follies. I hope the trigger goes well and that OHSS stays far, far away.

Hope is a strange thing - but if we didn't have it, we wouldn't do anything. Statistics never tell the whole picture - there is a great deal of fortune and misfortune in this game and you just never know how things are going to work out.

Accepting the loss of control, and leaving the results up to a higher power is the only way I am trying to make sense of all of this right now. I have NO control - I can follow the schedule for injections/meds to a T, my ovaries could respond perfectly, the retrieval can go perfectly, the embies can all fertilize and be A+++ but still not implant. And these super-smart scientists still don't know why some embies implant and some don't. Or why some eggs fertilize and some don't.

My assvice for the day is to accept your role in all of this, and understand what you have control over and what you don't. I hope you don't mind the assvice.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

 
At 6/16/2006 9:45 AM, Blogger x said...

I triggered with pretty high hormones - about 4000 and 21 follicles (IVF). I had mild OHSS but nothing too bad. Certianly nothing that should make your life too hard.
7 is alot for IUI, I hope that one perfect one takes for you.

 
At 6/17/2006 7:23 AM, Blogger Serenity said...

I am thinking about you today, hoping the IUI goes well..

 
At 6/18/2006 5:16 AM, Blogger Family Ties said...

7 follicles! Sounds good to me! I know that there are risks, I know that there are potentials for multiples, but if your doc gave the go ahead....GO FOR IT!

I will be thinking of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller